• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Next Wake Forest Basketball Coach...

I’m hesitant to just say Sweet 16. What if Hoard is just that good and drags Manning through the postseason then leaves?

I just want to see players improve, good rotations, and defense. If we do that, we won’t play on Tuesday in March and win at least two games. That’s a reasonable goal.

Top 9 finish in ACC.
Non-First Four NCAA Appearance.

At least two wins between them.

And look like a well coached team in the process. These are reasonable goals.

RChill does not believe in subjective things like "good basketball".

I don't know why someone would watch the game if they are only concerned about number of wins and are unconcerned what the product looks like. You can play a damn fine game and lose. You can play like shit and win. It makes a big difference to me. UNCG and UMBC lost their last games but looked damn good doing it. If I am a fan of one of those team, I hold my head high and congratulate the opponent. What really sucks is watching your own team play like a bad AAU team and watch mind numbing substitution patterns and end game strategies.

If those things do not matter, just check the score after the game is over.

I agree with the concept that it matters how a team plays, but for the record UMBC looked awful in their final game.

There was a false alarm of a shooter in the Miller Center today. You can't make this stuff up.

Good thing it was a false alarm. There was nobody to defend.

RChill does not believe in subjective things like "good basketball".

I don't know why someone would watch the game if they are only concerned about number of wins and are unconcerned what the product looks like. You can play a damn fine game and lose. You can play like shit and win. It makes a big difference to me. UNCG and UMBC lost their last games but looked damn good doing it. If I am a fan of one of those team, I hold my head high and congratulate the opponent. What really sucks is watching your own team play like a bad AAU team and watch mind numbing substitution patterns and end game strategies.

If those things do not matter, just check the score after the game is over.

Wait, I thought wins and losses, devoid of context, were all that matters.

I’d rather beat Carolina and have you and Ph conclude that we played shitty basketball than lose to Carolina and have you and Ph declare that we had good rotations on defense.

Good basketball = Winning basketball and Winning basketball = Good basketball. I’d rather watch a team of 5 stars “stumble” into the Final Four on sheer talent than see a team of three stars “perfectly execute” their way into a valiant second round loss.

Trimmed the hedges.

If you are concerned about Hoard carrying us and leaving then you should offset that with expectations for the recruiting class.

The 2019 class is going to be poor. There just isn’t the momentum needed for a good class. Either way, for reasons I explained on another thread, recruiting is much harder than it used to be. That alone isn’t going to be a sustainable model especially for a coach who doesn’t optimize talent.

Wake basketball rarely has back to back stellar classes.

The 2019 class is going to be poor. There just isn’t the momentum needed for a good class. Either way, for reasons I explained on another thread, recruiting is much harder than it used to be. That alone isn’t going to be a sustainable model especially for a coach who doesn’t optimize talent.

I’m well aware of your opinion. I was asking what measurable results next year would cause you to change it. My expectations for Manning next year are essentially for him to build on the success he had in 16-17; a top 8 seed and multiple tournament victories (ACC/NCAAT) and at a minimum replacing the talent we will lose next year.

If he can’t land at least two low level top 100 players in 2019 then he probably needs to go regardless unless our team next year is in the 04, 05 range.

I answered your question already.

I answered your question already.

Not really. Your answer was essentially: “A top 9 ACC finish and two tournament wins of any sort would convince me that Manning should be our coach, at least for another year, unless I remain unconvinced.”

A simple “I don’t know” (or probably more honestly in your case “nothing”) would have sufficed.

You’ll do anything to keep an argument going.

Whatever Hoard brings to the table next season, will be counter balanced by Crawford's dumbassery. I wouldn't worry too much PH. This team's (and Danny's) ceiling is a First Four blow out loss.

You’ll do anything to keep an argument going.

And you’ll do anything to avoid actually making an argument. You can’t be wrong if you never take a proveable position on anything.

Let’s agree to postpone the argument until the end of next season when either I will admit that the little confidence I had in Manning was misplaced and call for him to be fired or you will attribute all of his success to Hoard and claim he will never be successful at Wake because you saw some bad defensive rotations at critical moments. Can’t wait.

I’m hesitant to just say Sweet 16. What if Hoard is just that good and drags Manning through the postseason then leaves?

I just want to see players improve, good rotations, and defense. If we do that, we won’t play on Tuesday in March and win at least two games. That’s a reasonable goal.

Top 9 finish in ACC.
Non-First Four NCAA Appearance.

At least two wins between them.

And look like a well coached team in the process. These are reasonable goals.

This is impressive.

“Manning sucks at recruiting, but even if he didn’t he sucks at maximizing talent, but even if he does it was just the talent carrying him to success which isn’t sustainable because Manning sucks at recruiting . . .”

Back