• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Next year’s football team

also not sure if anyone has done the numbers but believe we are in a scholly crunch even if all the senior day guys leave.

Would like to see us take a look at this guy. All conference LB from Delaware. Looks fast and even plays gunner on the punt team. Brother played in the NFL. Has picked up offers from Iowa State, Maryland, Kansas State, Louisville and Rutgers(visited there this weekend) since entering the portal according to his twitter. He would also be 25 years old next year so he is rather experienced. Highlight film in tweet.

https://twitter.com/ColbyReederLB4/status/1465345704348557319?s=20

Roster will be solid next year, and we will be in a position to be very competitive. The thing we need now to take the next step is on the coaches—we have to be able to add something to our offensive scheme to combat the ultra physical defenses in Clemson, Wisconsin, and Pitt that we have been unable to solve for. Absent that, it feels like we have reached the ceiling of what can be expected.

It felt like we were way too insistent on forcing the deep shots last night and against Clemson. We absolutely need to be able to mitigate the pass rush with the short passing game.

It felt like we were way too insistent on forcing the deep shots last night and against Clemson. We absolutely need to be able to mitigate the pass rush with the short passing game.

That's our offense. The blitz hot reads are deep balls. Pitt and Clemson blitzed heavily and challenged us to beat them deep and they both did a good job covering 1 on 1 matchups. Pitt also appeared to be playing heavy inside leverage in the slot to take away the slants on the read option and force those routes outside(I'm assuming the WRs run routes based on CB leverage/alignment a lot of the time). Sam was also just off on a few of the deep balls.

That's our offense. The blitz hot reads are deep balls. Pitt and Clemson blitzed heavily and challenged us to beat them deep and they both did a good job covering 1 on 1 matchups. Pitt also appeared to be playing heavy inside leverage in the slot to take away the slants on the read option and force those routes outside(I'm assuming the WRs run routes based on CB leverage/alignment a lot of the time). Sam was also just off on a few of the deep balls.

That may be but we need some situational game plans that can alleviate some of that pressure. Pitt was just teeing off last night.

yep while making us one dimensional by shutting down the rushing attack.

i know this has been an unpopular opinion but imo we have three below average running backs, not three good ones.

i know this has been an unpopular opinion but imo we have three below average running backs, not three good ones.

I am on board with you. They are all interchangeable because they are all mediocre.

That may be but we need some situational game plans that can alleviate some of that pressure. Pitt was just teeing off last night.

I agree with that. Not saying I know what the solution is, but we do need a some sort of contingency plan when the deep ball against the blitz isn't working

Agree on cbs and Turner, but Cooley seems to have it and could be a diff. Maker. Clawson seems to be an old school seniority rep awards and one of a few reasons I think kwiii is no longer here. I also think the 3 back rotation is a mistake as a rb can’t really get warmed up and going. So many great rbs get better as they get touches and just not possible with our regular rotation. I get rotating 2 as we did with cbs and kwiii, but 3 is not good especially when 2 are good but not great RBs and you have others that could be great. Hope we don’t lose yougins to portal as think a couple could go off to be superstars if they do especially after they see what happened to kwiii.

Agree on cbs and Turner, but Cooley seems to have it and could be a diff. Maker. Clawson seems to be an old school seniority rep awards and one of a few reasons I think kwiii is no longer here. I also think the 3 back rotation is a mistake as a rb can’t really get warmed up and going. So many great rbs get better as they get touches and just not possible with our regular rotation. I get rotating 2 as we did with cbs and kwiii, but 3 is not good especially when 2 are good but not great RBs and you have others that could be great. Hope we don’t lose yougins to portal as think a couple could go off to be superstars if they do especially after they see what happened to kwiii.

I disagree, at least partially. CBS is a better than average RB, especially in our offense. Our season took a turn for the worse when he went out in the UNC game. He hasn't been full strength since then and we have been 2-3.

Is there any pre draft buzz for Tom or Roberson? I can’t find anything online that indicates either is likely to be drafted in the first 3 rounds. Maybe I’m just not looking hard enough.

The NFLPA has partnerships with several MBA programs. He could also finish up in a Spring and Summer session.

I disagree, at least partially. CBS is a better than average RB, especially in our offense. Our season took a turn for the worse when he went out in the UNC game. He hasn't been full strength since then and we have been 2-3.

Fair point. I should say elite like a kwiii, colburn, carney, etc. cbs doesn’t have the explosive factor as well as slow to hole often or just outright not hitting it. I think Cooley shows that burst and quickness to hit the holes and even create where not always a big hole.

Fair point. I should say elite like a kwiii, colburn, carney, etc. cbs doesn’t have the explosive factor as well as slow to hole often or just outright not hitting it. I think Cooley shows that burst and quickness to hit the holes and even create where not always a big hole.

Should also add Ellison to that mix.

Cooley is the best running back. Ellison missed holes last night, turner is inconsistent but good when on. CBS is a football player. We clearly need to upgrade here. I was watch8 g some 18 action with walker. Wow. That is missing.

agree with pretty much everyone — was telling that cooley was brought in during the 2nd half. feels like our guys consistently pick the wrong holes. doesn’t seem like a schematic issue since we’ve seen walker (would say colburn as well) do much better. i do think CBS is a nice overall player. if he returns my hot take was to try and convert him to defense a la chuck wade.

Cooley is the best running back. Ellison missed holes last night, turner is inconsistent but good when on. CBS is a football player. We clearly need to upgrade here. I was watch8 g some 18 action with walker. Wow. That is missing.

We need to recruit breakaway speed.

Yep we are still 4-5 over.

and if some of the senior day guys return, plus ideally landing at least 2 or 3 transfers we are looking at needing to shed 10+ players. was surprised that IIRC francis and hardimon were the only non-pro potential seniors who were honored

Back