• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Next year’s football team

He has talent, but could not stay on the field. I'm not sure how much this hurts us next season, tbh. The biggest improvements need to come in the rushing defense.

At a minimum, it hurts depth which we already were lacking. Greer is the best safety on the roster when healthy, IMO, which wasn't very often.

At a minimum, it hurts depth which we already were lacking. Greer is the best safety on the roster when healthy, IMO, which wasn't very often.

Fortunately safety is one of the few positions where we do have pretty good depth.

I disagree.

I mean, technically we have depth but not great talent if we are being honest. Greer was by far our best Safety when healthy. Good luck to him. Hope this maybe gives us an opportunity to grab a transfer, but think we are still 1 scholarship over.

I disagree.

Compared to other positions it is. There are 4 guys I would feel comfortable with if they had to start and a couple others that are decent. Compared to CB where I'm not even sure we have a backup I'm comfortable with or LB where we as of now likely don't have a 3rd starter I'm comfortable with.

Before Fall practice next year’s football team better circle UNCCH and Clemson on the calendar. Both OL and DL need to especially focus on these games and add the State and FSU games to that list.

The UNCCH loss took a lot of the shine off the season, unfortunately. Bad play and bad coaching that day. It was avoidable and so frustrating.

It seems the likelihood of him getting drafted is low. I hope I’m wrong of course.

UDFA. Has been hurt too much to be drafted. Probably will not be at the combine. Wish we would have had him healthy for one more year. Hope he makes it.

I'm hoping the coaches figure out how to adjust the slow mesh against big D lines. I don't think it's simply a matter of the players having to execute it better in order to beat Clemson.

I'm hoping the coaches figure out how to adjust the slow mesh against big D lines. I don't think it's simply a matter of the players having to execute it better in order to beat Clemson.

The ability of strong opposing DT's together push in the middle negates much of the advantage og the slow mesh RPO. It makes the RB run up the middle ineffective even if Sam's read says go there. It also pretty much eliminates the late QB run up the middle. That just leaves the pass into a more robust secondary or QB running for his life outside.

Something like a shorter mesh and quick throw to tight end or wide receiver screen to trips on one side would be a couple of variants that would help against that.

I mean, technically we have depth but not great talent if we are being honest. Greer was by far our best Safety when healthy. Good luck to him. Hope this maybe gives us an opportunity to grab a transfer, but think we are still 1 scholarship over.

I don't know why we're worried about #s. I'm sure the staff had a plan to get to 85. If Greer was an unexpected departure, then they are -1 on that plan and have a spot to offer to a transfer from the portal.

The ability of strong opposing DT's together push in the middle negates much of the advantage og the slow mesh RPO. It makes the RB run up the middle ineffective even if Sam's read says go there. It also pretty much eliminates the late QB run up the middle. That just leaves the pass into a more robust secondary or QB running for his life outside.

Something like a shorter mesh and quick throw to tight end or wide receiver screen to trips on one side would be a couple of variants that would help against that.
I guess Coach R doesn't realize these things. Really?

I want totally different game plans against teams that have great defenses (State, Clemson, Pitt - this season). We need more in the playbook to deal with that. We went away from the mesh quite a bit the last 4-5 games against better opponents. We can always go back to it if we are winning the LOS against a good defense, but I rather see quick passing, screens, slants, etc to open up the game a bit. It took a few series for us to get comfortable against State and Clemson. It was too late by the time we adjusted to the Tigers.

All offenses (and defenses) have some sort of weakness/bad matchup. I’m of the mind that if you try to prepare for every little thing, you won’t be prepared for anything. Start sending the TE out more? We may not get the time we need to run that mesh and/or let our stud WR’s get open on the deep ball. Stop sliding up in the pocket on a whim? Now those timing routes aren’t as crisp and the fake may not take as well.

We have an identity, and we bend MOST defenses to that identity. I think we compete with Clemson next year, but if they are the one guaranteed loss most years, given today’s landscape, I’m ok with that as long as it works against everyone else. If that’s LOWF, then I think that’s a testament to where our program is right now.

Last edited:
I guess Coach R doesn't realize these things. Really?

Maybe he has. Maybe he hasn't. Maybe he has and there are valid reasons not to do some of these. I'm just an armchair OC throwing out few thoughts.

Back