• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Next year’s football team

We will be the focus of the Gramlich and Mac Lain podcast tomorrow (it’s a good podcast). Unfortunately, their guest is Ethan Joyce. Conor and Les, were neither of you available??? I wonder if Ethan can even name our QB. I bet he just starts talking about App.

https://twitter.com/ericmaclain/status/1481774441940013058?s=21

They never asked; as I've said before, I pretty much say yes to any interview request. Kind of strange how media appearances with other media gets divvied up. Some of it is simply who you know or who you don't.

They never asked; as I've said before, I pretty much say yes to any interview request. Kind of strange how media appearances with other media gets divvied up. Some of it is simply who you know or who you don't.

39ca9852-de07-4c13-9f7f-f7b6e1326785_text.gif

This is more of a "it sure seems like" observation, which is the worst kind. I noticed with the passing offense, in 2021, it seemed that Sam took shots downfield way more often than in 2020. Obviously, it was so bad, those passes looked like desperation heaves in the ACCCG. Why did the offense go away from the slants, and short routes this year. Maybe they were trying to hit tight ends more in those sports? Maybe Sam was a little nervous about the slants after the Mayo Bowl, or was it just that the WR superior talent just happened to be down the field (and Roberson was hurt)

On the whole Hartman pushed the ball down the field more. On attempts 20+ yards down field: 23/56 in 2020, 45/99 in 2021. But in reality they still attacked the short and intermediate game a lot: 80/142 on balls 10-19 yards from the LOS, 136/190 on balls 0-9 yards from it.

Part of it is it's not just a Hartman problem of going away from over the middle. Jamie had that issue as well and it was masked by having two twin towers on the outside that changed 50/50 balls to 70/30 balls. But there were quite a few times where Wake really didn't need 30-40 yards and Jamie went "fuck it Sage/Scotty down there somewhere" The reads are outside to inside more often than not, so when you only have a limited amount of time, you're kind of forced to chucking it down field. Last year, they didn't play that many people that blew up the interior: Clemson, Wisconsin, and NC State were the only three teams that did it.

Other than defensive scheme, there's not really another reason besides that's what Hartman does. Every quarterback has limitations(and it's not meant as a dig) but Hartman has the Carson Wentz issue at times. He wants to make the big play, and Hartman was absolutely elite at throwing the deep ball last year. He was a top 5 QB in what PFF defines as "Big Time Throws", but sometimes he's got to take and make the layups

Thanks for the heads up, Cam. I usually don't check over there unless I see something here first.

On the whole Hartman pushed the ball down the field more. On attempts 20+ yards down field: 23/56 in 2020, 45/99 in 2021. But in reality they still attacked the short and intermediate game a lot: 80/142 on balls 10-19 yards from the LOS, 136/190 on balls 0-9 yards from it.

Part of it is it's not just a Hartman problem of going away from over the middle. Jamie had that issue as well and it was masked by having two twin towers on the outside that changed 50/50 balls to 70/30 balls. But there were quite a few times where Wake really didn't need 30-40 yards and Jamie went "fuck it Sage/Scotty down there somewhere" The reads are outside to inside more often than not, so when you only have a limited amount of time, you're kind of forced to chucking it down field. Last year, they didn't play that many people that blew up the interior: Clemson, Wisconsin, and NC State were the only three teams that did it.

Other than defensive scheme, there's not really another reason besides that's what Hartman does. Every quarterback has limitations(and it's not meant as a dig) but Hartman has the Carson Wentz issue at times. He wants to make the big play, and Hartman was absolutely elite at throwing the deep ball last year. He was a top 5 QB in what PFF defines as "Big Time Throws", but sometimes he's got to take and make the layups

imo it’s pretty clear the 2019 offense went downhill went the deep balls switched from going to scotty and sage to stephen claude and (to a lesser extent) a still-learning-the-offense greene.

Well Sciba just hit a 52 yarder in the Hula Bowl or whatever it is.

He kicked a 52 yarder in the 1st and a 26 yarder in the 4th and his team lost 21-20.

No idea. I just looked up the wiki page.

80-20

Sometimes defenses just set up to take away deep balls and challenge the QB and receivers to complete a bunch of 5-10 yard passes. Sometimes you need to take what the defense is giving. Wake used to be pretty good at that kind of offense.

Sometimes defenses just set up to take away deep balls and challenge the QB and receivers to complete a bunch of 5-10 yard passes. Sometimes you need to take what the defense is giving. Wake used to be pretty good at that kind of offense.

See Clemson and Pitt. Agree 100%

Masterson definitely played in Hula today….understand he was named the defensive MVP.

Back