• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Next year’s football team

Wow, CBS wanted to come back to Wake.... but told Clawson too late. :eek:

I hate that. You could tell Clawson did as well. Not sure why the staff didn't think, in October, that he wasn't returning. I'm sure, there's more to the situation.
Guess these are just the times we're living in with portals and college sports. Still hate it for the kid.

Would you rather have one year of CBS or three+ of Demond Claiborne?

I hate that it happened but CBS had to know this was a possible outcome when he told the coaches he wasn’t coming back.

Would you rather have one year of CBS or three+ of Demond Claiborne?

I hate that it happened but CBS had to know this was a possible outcome when he told the coaches he wasn’t coming back.

I guess if CBS stays, Claiborne doesn't come?

Based on Clawson's comments, scholarships were part of the issue but as alluded to another big part was promising other recruits that he was leaving and there would be carries available.

I am recalling some NCAA rule that nixes that, isn't there?

You can make things work. Nick Andersen is on scholarship, but in a way that doesn't count against the numbers. There are always workarounds.

You can make things work. Nick Andersen is on scholarship, but in a way that doesn't count against the numbers. There are always workarounds.

It's pretty difficult approaching impossible and an NCAA rules violation to have a guy who arrived at Wake on football scholarship, played multiple years while on football scholarship and then transition him to some sort of financial aid package that isn't a football scholarship and still have him play football.

The only players known to transition to non-football financial aid have been guys who were medically disqualified and never played football again at Wake.

It's pretty difficult approaching impossible and an NCAA rules violation to have a guy who arrived at Wake on football scholarship, played multiple years while on football scholarship and then transition him to some sort of financial aid package that isn't a football scholarship and still have him play football.

The only players known to transition to non-football financial aid have been guys who were medically disqualified and never played football again at Wake.

Should've been more clear(and responded to a different answer):

Yes he would still be a counter even if it's an academic scholarship, but there are workarounds. Some of those ways are paying one semester on your own. Sometimes it's asking people to grayshirt, but there are workarounds to scholarship crunches.

Hell Wake is technically over the cap when they have early enrollees on campus, but you can work around that

How does Nick Anderson’s scholarship not count towards our total?

Should've been more clear(and responded to a different answer):

Yes he would still be a counter even if it's an academic scholarship, but there are workarounds. Some of those ways are paying one semester on your own. Sometimes it's asking people to grayshirt, but there are workarounds to scholarship crunches.

Hell Wake is technically over the cap when they have early enrollees on campus, but you can work around that

I thought guys quit counting against the limit when their eligibility expired.

I thought guys quit counting against the limit when their eligibility expired.

The 85 limit is in effect now. For last year, they made a one year exception and as a result, players who had exhausted all eligibility did not have their scholarship count against the 85 limit. The rules returned to normal this year and it why so many teams are having to manage to the 85 cap. Currently, I believe Wake is at the 85 cap and can not add any players, unless a scholarship players leaves the team.

The 85 limit is in effect now. For last year, they made a one year exception and as a result, players who had exhausted all eligibility did not have their scholarship count against the 85 limit. The rules returned to normal this year and it why so many teams are having to manage to the 85 cap. Currently, I believe Wake is at the 85 cap and can not add any players, unless a scholarship players leaves the team.

My comment above was in response to the "...Wake is technically over the cap..." by Cam.

Players no longer count against the cap:

if they voluntarily renounce their schoarship because they plan to transfer (example - CBS)
They voluntarily give up remaining eligibility to turn pro (Zach Tom, Nick Sciba)

Players exhaust all college football eligibility and graduate. (Donald Stewart, Luigi Vilain).

Departures from the team left openings that are now being occupied by early enrolling freshmen. Wake has committed football scholarships to a number of student athletes who signed National Letters of Intent in December. The regular enrollees count against the scholarship limit beginning with their arrival on campus for the start of the 2022-2023 academic year. That typically begins with summer school, either first or second session.

For Spring practice. Wake will have 70 some scholarship players. Summer enrolling freshmen will occupy the remaining slots. Hence that is why Wake cannot sign anybody else unless a player currently on scholarship voluntarily gives his up. Something may or may not happen after the spring game.

My point is that a number of guys who counted against the 85 scholarship limit in the fall no longer count. So Wake does not have to fudge numbers this spring.

Mako really fucked up the active threads being at the top. Jesus.

Some changes to the coaching staff. Austin Gund, former GA has moved on to be an offensive analyst for the Bills. Latroy Lewis, who was the Special Team analysis has moved on to Michigan and been replaced by Ryan Schutta

I hate that. You could tell Clawson did as well. Not sure why the staff didn't think, in October, that he wasn't returning. I'm sure, there's more to the situation.
Guess these are just the times we're living in with portals and college sports. Still hate it for the kid.

They didn’t think he was returning because he told them he was leaving.

As it has been told, Clawson used CBS's roster spot to land 4 star VA RB Demond Claiborne. At the time, CBS had already communicated his intent to leave (CBS has graduated) after the 2021 season. Once Claiborne committed (he briefly waffled because Michigan was flirting), WF didn't have an available RB spot for CBS, when CBS decided to return to college football for the 2022 season. In the end, sounded like everyone was happy as WF landed its top RB recruit maybe ever, and CBS ended up at S. Carolina which is expected to be much improved in 2022 with Spencer Rattler.

Nice post but it will be hard for anyone to surpass Chris Barclay as the best WF running back.

It could be an interesting situation for CBS and hopefully he has a a good season at South Carolina. Glad Wake held on to Claiborne and hope he can be an early contributor.

Back