• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Next Year

Deac65

Joe Amonett
Reaction score
Haven't started a thread in awhile so here goes. Forgive if you think it's inappropriate but I think most of us will agree this year is toast. Surprisingly I am optimistic in the fact that our best players last night were Moore, Brown and Chill. With next year's incoming talent this is cause for hope. Also, we will be much stronger at the 4 position(obviously the bar is pretty low here).IMHO the x factors are the following.

1. Outside shooting. Can Key shake his nagging injuries and be a consistent threat, can Brown and Chill continue their improvement in shooting, do any of our incoming recruits have a dependable shot and can Craw exorcise his demons?

2. Can Oliver gain strength and improve under Danny's tutoring to provide valuable minutes inside and can Mitchell provide some help?

3. Will our improved length and athleticism help our defense?

4. Will Chill and any newcomers on the perimeter limit the to's we are famous for?

Lots of questions, hopefully some answers.

s

Appreciate the optimism but we’re in a world of instant gratification and the world is about now not next year. We’ve sucked for 7 of 8 years so while I appreciate you being a great fan I long for the days of GDO and Skip when Wake basketball was relevant.

Tired of next year and being everyone’s second favorite team.

We will not be good next year, despite the masses assuring all of us it would be.

Once you accept where we are—the bottom—then you have a chance. Wellman gone. New 40 year old AD puts 10 year plan together for perfect stadium & hires Kelsey or Miller. If Kelsey or Miller fail, now you have new proper sized stadium and try the next guy in 2022.

We need to make a decade of good decisions to get this right. If we do not build for the long term we have no chance. Long term does not involve 60 year old coach or an NBA veteran with questionable IQ. Heck, give Randolph job. We are at a rock bottom. Now is the time to get infrastructure correct for the next 5 decades.

Last edited:
Haven't started a thread in awhile so here goes. Forgive if you think it's inappropriate but I think most of us will agree this year is toast. Surprisingly I am optimistic in the fact that our best players last night were Moore, Brown and Chill. With next year's incoming talent this is cause for hope. Also, we will be much stronger at the 4 position(obviously the bar is pretty low here).IMHO the x factors are the following.

1. Outside shooting. Can Key shake his nagging injuries and be a consistent threat, can Brown and Chill continue their improvement in shooting, do any of our incoming recruits have a dependable shot and can Craw exorcise his demons?

2. Can Oliver gain strength and improve under Danny's tutoring to provide valuable minutes inside and can Mitchell provide some help?

3. Will our improved length and athleticism help our defense?

4. Will Chill and any newcomers on the perimeter limit the to's we are famous for?

Lots of questions, hopefully some answers.

s

Will Wake Forest have competent coaching? Will Manning allow the board to assign player minutes and line-ups?

Otherwise, more suckitude awaits.

Starters: Crawf, Brown, Hoard, Sarr, Moore
6-10: Chill, Key, Mucius, Mitchell, post grad
Garbage mins: Wright, Lewis, Melo

As with this year's team, there's no clear option for someone to lead next year. It's painfully obvious that Crawford isn't up to snuff, so unless one of the underclassman steps up, it will be more of the same.

We will not be good next year, despite the masses assuring all of us it would be.

Once you accept where we are—the bottom—then you have a chance. Wellman gone. New 40 year old AD puts 10 year plan together for perfect stadium & hires Kelsey or Miller. If Kelsey or Miller fail, now you have new proper sized stadium and try the next guy in 2022.

We need to make a decade of good decisions to get this right. If we do not build for the long term we have no chance. Long term does not involve 60 year old coach or an NBA veteran with questionable IQ. Heck, give Randolph job. We are at a rock bottom. Now is the time to get infrastructure correct for the next 5 decades.

OK, DR, what do you mean by "we will not be good next year"? Care to make a prediction? Bottom of the ACC? Bottom third? Middle of the pack? No postseason? NIT? NCAA, early exit? What is "not good" to you?

I have been thoroughly disappointed in Crawford this year, but I do think we need to hold our horses on writing him off. His NBA dreams are dying in real time and that is a hard thing to accept.

OK, DR, what do you mean by "we will not be good next year"? Care to make a prediction? Bottom of the ACC? Bottom third? Middle of the pack? No postseason? NIT? NCAA, early exit? What is "not good" to you?

My expectations for Wake basketball are far different. I’d like to see us build for the long term and be a regular participant in the ACC semis and NCAA regionals.

As for next year, it will be the same as the last decade, we won’t even make the ACC Quarters or the field of 64. We haven’t made either for a decade and won’t next year. But even if we did every once every few years that would just get us to BC and Clemson status. Unacceptable. We need to be in 3 Sweet 16s/decade. That’s success for Wake.

My expectations for Wake basketball are far different. I’d like to see us build for the long term and be a regular participant in the ACC semis and NCAA regionals.

As for next year, it will be the same as the last decade, we won’t even make the ACC Quarters or the field of 64. We haven’t made either for a decade and won’t next year. But even if we did every once every few years that would just get us to BC and Clemson status. Unacceptable. We need to be in 3 Sweet 16s/decade. That’s success for Wake.

So you are saying we won't make the ACC quarterfinals or the NCAA round of 64 next year? I think you will be wrong on one or both - hopefully wrong by a lot. We shall see.

Folks are underestimating the leap Sarr will make from this year to next. He's going to be a good one.

I agree with Creamy that Sarr will make the leap. He has already shown some serious skill, just has trouble finishing due to his strength. Strength is easier to develop than the touch/finesse he already has, so I think he will be just fine. That means we will finally be able to start 5 players that can all create their own shot next year, no matter the competition (Craw, Chaundee, Hoard, Sarr, Moore) which is very important given our "style of offense." That said, if we are going to be the slashing team it looks like Danny is building, our entire team is going to have to work on their vision/passing. Driving and slashing through the lane doesn't do a whole lot if all it takes is a little help defense to force a tough shot instead of an open pass.

And as I posted in the Craw thread: Relying on our freshmen to bail us out is a bad plan. It will make us inconsistent, at best. We desperately need Craw and Key to step up next year and either lead this team or pass the torch if we want to go dancing.

Last edited:
I'm usually not a pessimistic fan but all this talk of how much improved Sarr will be for us next year ignores the possibility that he could leave at any time. As a known quantity in Europe, Sarr has options like Dinos had and ultimately exercised this year. I just hope Sarr is happy/(has girlfriend here) and wants to stay because it would be fairly easy for him to leave with short notice. Having Hoard coming in next year may help some.

I haven't even considered Sarr leaving. He has NBA potential and one of his best friends is coming to play with him next year. He's not going to leave for Europe this offseason.

So you are saying we won't make the ACC quarterfinals or the NCAA round of 64 next year? I think you will be wrong on one or both - hopefully wrong by a lot. We shall see.

Correct. But I’m also saying even if we make one and then fall back it really is all the same: horrible. Need to overhaul the infrastructure. Stadium, AD, Coach

We won't go from 1-17, to making the round of 64... unless CP3, and Collins get to come back. How good are these Freshman going to be? Seriously...

I'm a little anxious to see if there is a line up change for the rest of this year. It's painfully obvious what the main problem is, and DM must see it.

Also, we could lose some of the more promising young guys to transfer, which could hurt.

I haven't even considered Sarr leaving. He has NBA potential and one of his best friends is coming to play with him next year. He's not going to leave for Europe this offseason.

I fervently hope you are right and you probably are right. Just makes me nervous when all it takes is for a European team to decide they gotta have Sarr and make him an offer he can't refuse.

do we know who we play twice within the ACC (besides NC State and Duke) next year?

Back