• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Next Year's FB Team + Scholarship Tracker |

So FYI, apparently any moratorium Wake has on transfers not making Wake offers public is either not true or don't apply to MTSU Linebacker Sam Brumfield III
Not sure where this supposed "moratorium" is from. Perhaps, you are conflating that schools don't make their offers public, but there is no restriction and never has been a restriction on a player (whether its a HS recruit or college transfer) disclosing what schools have contacted them or offered them.

Put another way, how can WF ever tell a college football player at MTSU what to disclose and what not to disclose; he's not a WF student and/or WF football player?

So FYI, apparently any moratorium Wake has on transfers not making Wake offers public is either not true or don't apply to MTSU Linebacker Sam Brumfield III.

Also, Sam was at JUCO for 3 years, enrolled in MTSU in January and is currently a Junior. So once again, I want to call SHENNANIGANS on Clawson's "we can't go after all transfers speech."
IIRC Forbes has talked about the same restrictions from an admissions perspective.

Not sure where this supposed "moratorium" is from. Perhaps, you are conflating that schools don't make their offers public, but there is no restriction and never has been a restriction on a player (whether its a HS recruit or college transfer) disclosing what schools have contacted them or offered them.

Put another way, how can WF ever tell a college football player at MTSU what to disclose and what not to disclose; he's not a WF student and/or WF football player?
I thought we were told that we offered a bunch of linemen last year in the portal but we don’t like them to make their offers public.

Anyways now that we know Wake can go after Juco Integrated Studies majors, I say we go after Grayson McCall.

So FYI, apparently any moratorium Wake has on transfers not making Wake offers public is either not true or don't apply to MTSU Linebacker Sam Brumfield III.

Also, Sam was at JUCO for 3 years, enrolled in MTSU in January and is currently a Junior. So once again, I want to call SHENNANIGANS on Clawson's "we can't go after all transfers speech."

He did 5 semesters at a NW Miss CC. He started at MTSU in Spring 2023. He could feasibly graduate from MTSU in May and be a grad transfer.

The major is irrelevant; WF can go after any player that has graduated from a college.

He did 5 semesters at a NW Miss CC. He started at MTSU in Spring 2023. He could feasibly graduate from MTSU in May and be a grad transfer.
This makes more sense. I saw Junior with 1 year at a 4 year university, I didn’t think about 3 years of Juco being enough to allow him to graduate.

Was always surprised he couldn't make more of a splash. Seemed like one of the best athletes at LB we've had in a while, but it never panned out, and the switch to DE was derailed by injuries.

I thought we were told that we offered a bunch of linemen last year in the portal but we don’t like them to make their offers public.

Anyways now that we know Wake can go after Juco Integrated Studies majors, I say we go after Grayson McCall.
I mean we can ask them politely to not go announce on Twitter that Wake offered them.

That doesn't mean they are obligated to follow those instructions, and it would be dumb as hell to pull an offer because a kid talked about it on social media

I mean we can ask them politely to not go announce on Twitter that Wake offered them.

That doesn't mean they are obligated to follow those instructions, and it would be dumb as hell to pull an offer because a kid talked about it on social media
I went back and looked on Twitter and couldn’t find another transfer who tweeted an offer from Wake (Roberts, Turner, Walker, Bryce) they tweeted their visit and their commitment but not the offer. This was the first time I can remember seeing an offer to a Transfer. Malik tweeted his but it was in April not in the December window.

I hope we see more soon.

Not sure if it's the modern landscape of NIL, the bad season we just had, or a combination of both, but I am much more apprehensive about the transfer season this year. We've lost a few big contributors in the past, but I've had the mindset to be more excited about who we might pull in rather than who we lost (in aggregate, individual losses sting like Walker). I've generally felt that on the whole, after the transfer portal closes, we will be better off than before holistically. That's not the case this year. I have a heightened sense of dread concerning who will leave, with much less excitement about who we may bring in. I hope this proves to be premature.

I'd rather have your sense of dread than my sense of indifference.

But look at Cooley. We didn’t really need him because of Claiborne. Clawson just needs to keep recruiting good RBs and then let them play. Don’t put the system ahead of the talent. Design a system for the young stud RB to succeed.
Clemson started running plays with both Shipley and Mafah in the backfield at the same time. It can be done.

The actual admissions issues we've heard about from multiple coaches are:
  • Wake requires you to earn 50% of your credits from Wake Forest in order to get a degree - this applies to all transfers no matter the school.
  • Individual departments get to determine what credits are accepted towards their major -- this is where the individual school biases come in.
  • Even if a transfer candidate accepts a loss of credits to come to Wake, they can lose enough to fall behind academically and be declared ineligible by the NCAA.
All of that combines to make upperclassman transfers pretty much impossible. However, none of it applies to graduate transfers who simply need to be accepted into the graduate program of their choice (not a guarantee, but easier).

Not sure if it's the modern landscape of NIL, the bad season we just had, or a combination of both, but I am much more apprehensive about the transfer season this year. We've lost a few big contributors in the past, but I've had the mindset to be more excited about who we might pull in rather than who we lost (in aggregate, individual losses sting like Walker). I've generally felt that on the whole, after the transfer portal closes, we will be better off than before holistically. That's not the case this year. I have a heightened sense of dread concerning who will leave, with much less excitement about who we may bring in. I hope this proves to be premature.
Could be, but so far, and the portal hasn't opened yet; so, who knows what is coming, the WF players that have declared the intention to enter the portal are pretty much the current rostered players that WF needed to leave to bring in the current HS commits and to sign a handful of transfers. IIRC, WF needed at least 14 players with eligibility to enter the portal. So, maybe next week is when the coveted players exit, but has not happened yet.

Kind of a funny sentiment considering last season we lost Hartman and there's nobody on the roster currently that would be that big of a hit to our 2024 season.

I hate to say it, but there's only 5-10 guys that could unexpectedly enter the transfer portal and I would consider it to be a big loss that's going to be a problem. And Kern was one of them.

Kind of a funny sentiment considering last season we lost Hartman and there's nobody on the roster currently that would be that big of a hit to our 2024 season.

I hate to say it, but there's only 5-10 guys that could unexpectedly enter the transfer portal and I would consider it to be a big loss that's going to be a problem. And Kern was one of them.
Generally agree. Will also add that unless Mustapha is graduating, he can't transfer without a waiver because he already used his free transfer. He could go to the NFL, however.

The actual admissions issues we've heard about from multiple coaches are:
  • Wake requires you to earn 50% of your credits from Wake Forest in order to get a degree - this applies to all transfers no matter the school.
  • Individual departments get to determine what credits are accepted towards their major -- this is where the individual school biases come in.
  • Even if a transfer candidate accepts a loss of credits to come to Wake, they can lose enough to fall behind academically and be declared ineligible by the NCAA.
All of that combines to make upperclassman transfers pretty much impossible. However, none of it applies to graduate transfers who simply need to be accepted into the graduate program of their choice (not a guarantee, but easier).
Since we are a barely top-50 school now, I expect us to adjust our admissions strategy to compete with the likes of Rutgers and University of Rochester.

Back