• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Next Year's FB Team + Scholarship Tracker | Spring Transfer Portal Open

When given time, Kern looked really good in my opinion. Run with him as QB1 for next year and use that NIL to get other pieces.

My boy Kern is going 9-3 next year and the board is gonna explode with questions of why we didn't start him this year. It's gonna get saucy.

KERN DONK GANG LET'S FUCKING GOOOOO

I'd agree with that - don't want to reach for a QB if there is an OL/TE that we really want.

I probably agree re: NIL funds, but at the same time I can't imagine going into the fall with only three scholarship QBs (only one of whom has taken a college snap)

A lot of players will find no money waiting for them and some might find themselves without a ship. Will be interesting.
Can you come back after you enter the portal? Technically speaking that is - I understand that you may not have a scholly any longer…but assuming that you do. Or is it like the draft where once you declare and take certain other actions, you can’t change your mind and go back?

Can you come back after you enter the portal? Technically speaking that is - I understand that you may not have a scholly any longer…but assuming that you do. Or is it like the draft where once you declare and take certain other actions, you can’t change your mind and go back?
Ypu can return. Kendall Hinton did at Wake. The coach from the school you left has to agree to accept you. And that school has to decide to offer you a scholarship again. For the player, it is very similar to the situation they were in during their senior year of high school. Except I don't think they can walk on at their previous school.

I think it’s way too reductive and cynical to say that everyone in the portal is after NIL money. That’s probably the root cause that is causing guys to stay in school longer (along with the covid year), but there is a pretty big domino effect of guys looking to play or even get a scholarship. Especially since most teams seem like they look to fill gaps first through transfers before internal development.

Almost all of the guys who transferred out for us are looking for PT, not money. And even the bigger names (Grimes, Ellison) were primary motivated by that, not NIL, based on our collective.

I think it’s way too reductive and cynical to say that everyone in the portal is after NIL money. That’s probably the root cause that is causing guys to stay in school longer (along with the covid year), but there is a pretty big domino effect of guys looking to play or even get a scholarship. Especially since most teams seem like they look to fill gaps first through transfers before internal development.

Almost all of the guys who transferred out for us are looking for PT, not money. And even the bigger names (Grimes, Ellison) were primary motivated by that, not NIL, based on our collective.
Agreed and let’s be honest - the kinda guys who can get big time NIL money aren’t going to Wake anyways if we had a bottom list pit of money.

i'm not sure it's cynical to say that everyone -- or most -- are after NIL money

i say if people are gonna put up stupid money for NIL then go get paid, baby

Not cynical, but I think the point is only looking at the top end players. I think NIL money doesn't apply to at least 50% of the portal. Anecdotally looking at Wake's 14 entries, I think 3 could get NIL money (Grimes, Ellison, K. Williams), 9 are likely transferring down / looking for PT (Hudson, AJ Williams, Hall, Marucci, Forbes, Boll, Griffis, Zurr, Harris). 2 probably wouldn't care or expect to play again (Kelly, Hoilman).

Just worth remembering that, of the 11% figure, there's plenty of walk-ons, benchwarmers, and guys on their way out of football.

Only correction is RTQ said Ellison was shopping for the highest NIL payment

NIL is capitalism. The deeper pockets win the best players.

Many of the naysayers when it comes to NIL, tend to be capitalists in their own lives, which makes it ironic.

It sucks to lose out when it comes to a dollar figure, but tell that to the rest of the world who loses out based on a dollar figure in every day life.

A lot of players will find no money waiting for them and some might find themselves without a ship. Will be interesting.

Heard on a sports talk show that over 500 players from last year never found a new landing spot. I think the market will take care of some of the portal issues as more and more guys are left out with no NIL deal and no scholarship to boot.

Back