• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Next Year's FB Team + Scholarship Tracker | Spring Transfer Portal Open

I guess we will be picking through the scraps after the big boys make their choices.
So, the same as it’s aways been.

I know most see NIL through a doom and gloom lens for Wake, but we’re also a wealthy private school with a bunch of millionaire pro athletes and big wigs that can support NIL initiatives. We weren’t stacking our teams with 5 stars to begin with.

Up with 102 degree fever, so I’ll take a stab. He’s not really wrong. Clawson has been slow to move away from the redshirting strategy which has resulted in Wake only getting 2 seasons (or less in the case of injury) out of really good players like Dortch and Bates.

In 2016, Tabari Hines was our leading receiver with only 447 yards. It would be silly to argue that Dortch wouldn’t have significantly helped the team at WR, in addition to his All American punt return abilities. In fact, Dortch was so much better at the slot position than Hines (or I guess Hines wasn’t that good) that Clawson never put them on the field together in 2017.

Of course redshirting has significantly benefited Wake in many (most) cases, but there were certainly a few occasions, like with Dortch, that DC got it wrong.
Thank you for the response but you are answering a different question. Saying that dave should not have redshirted dortch is reasonable. But the assertion was that dave regularly mismanages stud players so they leave. And more specifically, that dortch was barely used the year before he left. Dortch had two magnificent years then he decided to go pro. Had absolutely zero to do with not getting the ball enough at Wake.

So, the same as it’s aways been.

I know most see NIL through a doom and gloom lens for Wake, but we’re also a wealthy private school with a bunch of millionaire pro athletes and big wigs that can support NIL initiatives. We weren’t stacking our teams with 5 stars to begin with.

Yeah I think this often gets lost. Amongst our “peers”, I would say we’re better positioned than Cuse, BC, VT, Pitt, Duke, Stanford to deal with new world.

State having a good weekend with portal guys but still need a QB. It would be nice to see some positive News for the Deacs. And wow mass exodus from Michigan State.

And pretty sure BackToBack and Rafi are physicians. And probably others as well. I can't think of a more demanding profession to not f*** things up.
That’s awesome to know if i need medical advice from this board. Has nothing to do with leading an organization and managing people, but certainly could be high pressure as you noted. Unless they are podiatrists. Then i would argue it’s not very demanding at all.

Thank you for the response but you are answering a different question. Saying that dave should not have redshirted dortch is reasonable. But the assertion was that dave regularly mismanages stud players so they leave. And more specifically, that dortch was barely used the year before he left. Dortch had two magnificent years then he decided to go pro. Had absolutely zero to do with not getting the ball enough at Wake.
I wasn’t implying that mismanagement caused people to leave AT ALL. It was a simple and straightforward statement that there has been mismanagement which is simply that our best skill players have not been on the field or utilized enough.

Last edited:
Clawson dug this hole for himself and our program. He grossly mismanaged this years squad, specifically QB, and it's up to him to dig us back out.

He's a good coach and he's capable, but I think the depth of this hole he has dug is deeper than just disgruntled fans on a message board.

I'm guilty of somewhat blindly supporting Claw since he's arrived at Wake, because by all accounts he's been a great coach for Wake, but he will be scrutinized closely moving forward. Not just from Creamy G, but from people who matter much more than myself.

Here's to hoping he rights the ship!
Yep and just as a case in point of how far and how fast teams fall (ours) and others rise, just look at the fact we beat three teams last year that are in this year’s New Year’s Six games: FSU, Liberty and Missouri. Plus just two years ago Wake and Pitt play in the ACC championship and this year finish last and next to last in the standings.

Newman sat on the bench because he apparently looked bad in practice. He only came in because Sam got hurt and then was obviously better than Sam. Dortch also barely played until his final year when he absolutely lit it up. Ellison the last two years was obviously the third best RB on the team yet continued to start and get the most time.

I will withhold the personal attacks on you since I don’t need to stoop that low. You don’t know me at all. I also have a different definition of success. If you’re being paid millions of dollars you should have more than one winning conference record in a decade.

Newman eventually ran away at the mere thought of having a competition for his starting job.

It is undeniable that there was gross mismanagement with Walker and Griffis and to a lesser extent others. The QB situation this past season was inexcusable. Not the fact that Clawson elected to go with Griffis (talent evaluations are wrong frequently) it was that Clawson stuck with him for so long after it was apparent to ANYONE watching that Griffis was not a D1 QB. This is the definition of mismanagement. You have to play the players that give you the best chance to win. Griffis was at least the 3rd QB on last years team but remained the starter 9 games longer than he should have.

Clawson has ten years as the Wake Forest coach. That's twice as long as any previous stint. He builds a program, wins, then moves on to a better job. This is new territory. He's not a fresh face with new ideas. He's the coach that led a program to seven straight bowl games then got blindsided when his next great QB could not cut it when the lights turned on and Dave had no Plan B. Combine that with a completely new way of doing business he does not like. This team isn't going to fill a few holes and return to relevance. This will be a major rebuild that could take a season or two. He deserves the opportunity. I just hope he is up to it.
Remember also that this is a coach who whined about having to play a Thursday night game on national TV against Duke. Said every coach in America, pro or college hated playing them and that it even went in to his substitution patterns in the 25 point loss to FSU. Come on Dave.

Hank Bachmeier of La Tech coming to Wake as a grad transfer. Stats look pretty good.

His stats at Boise State looked good. 6th year player. I wonder why he transferred to LT. My initial reaction is that this is a solid B pickup.

They are losing their minds on the 247 board. Apparently Cam Lemons was kind of down on him as a prospect on a podcast last week and now that he committed to wake people are furious with Clawson

Weird place over there

His stats at Boise State looked good. 6th year player. I wonder why he transferred to LT. My initial reaction is that this is a solid B pickup.

Yeah. Seems like the QB floor is solid him or solid Kern. The ceiling is the start of the Hecklinski era.

Back