• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Next Year's FB Team + Scholarship Tracker | Spring Transfer Portal Open

I wish we could play like we're just as big as our ACC opponents.
Your general point wasn’t entirely wrong, we are undersized in some spots. I’d be nice to have at least one real 300+lb defensive tackle ( did sign one coming in as a freshman). It was just saying our starting defensive line was 225 to 245lbs, that was out of left field. I think it has a lot more to do with a talent gap than a size gap though. That‘s not to say we don’t have some talent. Pointer and Davis are good up front on the defense and Jurgens and Gordon up front on offense. Fortunately 3 of those 4 are back next year , hopefully we get some development from some others to along with them. If we get a few others to improve as much as Pointer did this year, it will make a big deference. As I mentioned earlier, the guys coming out of high school that are big enough and skilled enough to contribute in the first or second year are some of the most highly sought after recruits and some of the rarest. Lots of guys run fast, not many 300lb high school seniors out there that are athletic enough to play at the FBS level right away. In my many years of following Wake football, we’ve frequently had some good skill players, had a much harder time getting dominate guys up front and that is still where good football starts.

Did we though? I saw two pretty evenly matched teams in a game that could have gone either way.
Our defense that had been decent couldn’t stop a team that didn’t even scratch last night against USF. That was very disappointing.

Our defense that had been decent couldn’t stop a team that didn’t even scratch last night against USF. That was very disappointing.
Tbf to the Syracuse offense they started a dude at QB who was a TE until like 5 days ago

Pretty sure that’s the same guy that played most of the snaps against us at QB too.
Yeah but they still had Shrader who managed to throw for like 173 yards and 3 TDs and played throughout the whole game. Not defending our shitty performance but there's a pretty big difference in the QB options between these two games when you have an actual starting QB playing in one of them.

Yeah but they still had Shrader who managed to throw for like 173 yards and 3 TDs and played throughout the whole game. Not defending our shitty performance but there's a pretty big difference in the QB options between these two games when you have an actual starting QB playing in one of them.
Their tight-end threw the ball effectively against us too. It was a dreadful effort by our defense in that game.

Maalik Murphy to Duke.

This Bachmeier kid better be the guy or I’m gonna be pissed off.

I’m pretty sure Clawson didn’t want someone who would interrupt Hecklinski’s development. If he doesn’t start day 1, I wouldn’t be shocked if he started later to get his 4 games and redshirt.

I’m pretty sure Clawson didn’t want someone who would interrupt Hecklinski’s development. If he doesn’t start day 1, I wouldn’t be shocked if he started later to get his 4 games and redshirt.
Yeah I guess that's fair. Didn't think about that

yeah, i don’t think murphy is a particularly great transfer get, given it sounds like duke had to promise him the starting job.

i think folks here would have been justifiably skeptical if we had done that. he was a good prospect out of HS but not an elite one.

The fact that Hecklinski is 20 and not 18?? has been an eye opener for me in terms of his likelihood of starting for much of year one.

Their tight end was 2/2 for 52 yards against us. 26 yards per toss, coming in the guy was just only throwing screens. Of course against us he burned us over the top of our efense (not a spelling error) twice for big yards and one tuddy. A couple of earlier stops against their handicapped offense and we’d have won going away. Fitting end to our season though.

As far as Murphy, I assume he left Texas because he knew Manning was the heir apparent, probably wasn’t interested in coming here if Helenski was the same for us? Been nice to get a name like that, instead of guy that sounds like a heir to a popcorn fortune.

The fact that Hecklinski is 20 and not 18?? has been an eye opener for me in terms of his likelihood of starting for much of year one.

He’s 19 and will be 20 when next season starts. Do we know why he is 2 years older than his grade?

Last edited:
I agree that the staff wanted it clear that the QB1 job would be Hecklinski's to lose in 2025.

For 2024, I see a few possible scenarios.

1. Bachmeier and Kern are QB1/QB2 in some order all of the season. Hecklinski plays in four games but doesn't start, preserving his redshirt.

2. Hecklinski is all that and wins the QB1 job by Aug 30. If it happens by end of spring, Bachmeier transfers again and never plays a down for Wake.

Back