• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Next Year's FB Team + Scholarship Tracker |

born december 1999 and was a grad student at kent state last year per their team website

i guess this is the very end of college football players born in the 90s

I know everyone wants to flip out about portal recruiting, but I think it ends up being a bit like NFL free agency. Its more important to fill your needs (and these days, much like the NFL, use your money wisely) than it is to get the big names.

As Pilch said, Wake's history with the portal is pretty solid. I'm not wasting time watching film of a bunch of guys and trying to see whether I agree with who the staff has offered and who they have obtained commitments from. My guess is that we will do fine, all in all.

Whether they have a functional QB on the roster is a different issue.

It's not just about adding guys though, it's about keeping the talent already on our roster. Clawson has spoken about this in a presser earlier this season, when he mentioned having to scramble a bit to get Jurgens/Carson/Gordon secured in February '23.

We avoided disaster by having Claiborne, Davis, Gordon, Morin back for next season. Banks and Williams are above-average starters that we are not replacing in the portal.

That doesn't include guys who didn't use all their eligibility (Carson, Mustapha) or potential good players like Grimes who haven't proven it yet.

It puts a lot of pressure on younger players to step in earlier in their career. This is a completely different model than how WF has competed since the start of the Grobe era. And Clawson clearly doesn't like it, as he has spoken about publicly. So I don't think its totally unwarranted to be concerned how things shake out in this environment.

On paper at this moment, we are a net talent loss. And that is from a bad team. But maybe we needed some roster turnover.

Clawson has his work cut out for him.

It's not just about adding guys though, it's about keeping the talent already on our roster. Clawson has spoken about this in a presser earlier this season, when he mentioned having to scramble a bit to get Jurgens/Carson/Gordon secured in February '23.

We avoided disaster by having Claiborne, Davis, Gordon, Morin back for next season. Banks and Williams are above-average starters that we are not replacing in the portal.

That doesn't include guys who didn't use all their eligibility (Carson, Mustapha) or potential good players like Grimes who haven't proven it yet.

It puts a lot of pressure on younger players to step in earlier in their career. This is a completely different model than how WF has competed since the start of the Grobe era. And Clawson clearly doesn't like it, as he has spoken about publicly. So I don't think its totally unwarranted to be concerned how things shake out in this environment.

On paper at this moment, we are a net talent loss. And that is from a bad team. But maybe we needed some roster turnover.

Have no idea if it's net talent loss or not as it impossible evaluate how much the current freshman on the roster will improve or how strong the incoming class will be (as noted by many) as the true frosh who can contribute will likely play right away. Also, many here felt like, WF was average QB play away from being a bowl team (or better). If that's accurate and WF can get average QB play, WF could be improved.

Agree that expectations will be low next year (as in, would guess WF will be picked to finish at the bottom of the division-less ACC). Guessing that's how Clawson likes it.

Have no idea if it's net talent loss or not as it impossible evaluate how much the current freshman on the roster will improve or how strong the incoming class will be (as noted by many) as the true frosh who can contribute will likely play right away. Also, many here felt like, WF was average QB play away from being a bowl team (or better). If that's accurate and WF can get average QB play, WF could be improved.

Agree that expectations will be low next year (as in, would guess WF will be picked to finish at the bottom of the division-less ACC). Guessing that's how Clawson likes it.
I imagine he liked the predictions for 2022 better.

I don't see many Clawson can do no wrong people at all. He's got to prove it, like everyone else. Evaluating Clawson, he's down well in the portal:

Kobe Turner (BTW, he either leads or is top 3 in the NFL sacks by rookie):

Malik Mustapha
Jacob Roberts
Chelen Garnes
Kevin Pointer
Bryce Gainous
Luiji Vilain

So far, WF has landed four in the portal and it sounds like another commit is in hand. Maybe, you have broken down the film on Kent, Indiana State and S. Illinois and determine that these guys can't play; if so, kudos.
Those guys were pre-NIL.

Coaches love the bulletin board material, "everyone doubts us", "the world against WF kind of stuff". So, like every coach (as an example, this is how Coach of the Year is almost always decided), Claw like beating expectations.

To the extent that there is actual thought and accuracy in pre-season picks, naturally every coach would prefer to talented teams.

The great coaches manage to have high expectations and still foster that "everyone doubts us" mentality in their players.

FWIW, Bachmeier and the latest commit Capone Blue are both from Murrieta, California. So, guessing that Bachmeier's commit may have helped bring in Blue.

Previously I think you've indicated that NIL money isn't going to be a big problem for Wake when compared to our "peer football schools" over the last couple decades, teams like State, VT, GT, Maryland, Indiana, Vandy, Cuse, Northwestern, etc. Do you still feel that to be the case? We all know we're not going to ever be major players for 7 figure NIL kids, but we do seem to be lagging behind at the moment.

Can you share any insight if this is due to recruiting/program perception or size of NIL war chest? Maybe we're just moneyballing everyone, and things will work out great - who knows.
Who are our peer schools? I hope it's every ACC team outside of maybe FSU and Clemson plus the middle of the road other power 5. (Sorry end of the year financials and debates about who our "peer companies are". )

No, I wouldn’t say no. But those types of recruits are much more so the exception than the norm across the board.

I mean we just pulled a highly regarded WR transfer prospect from Tennessee last season and he could barely get on the field for us. This isn’t an exact science that P5 transfers are better
I really don't think Walker was all that highly regarded in the transfer portal to be honest.

Who are our peer schools? I hope it's every ACC team outside of maybe FSU and Clemson plus the middle of the road other power 5. (Sorry end of the year financials and debates about who our "peer companies are". )
In the ACC, I'd probably agree and add Miami to the mix - no way we can compete with them in terms of NIL.

SEC is tougher. Schools like Tennessee and A&M could be described very much as middle of the road in recent years. No chance we can compete there. Vandy, sure - maybe schools like Kentucky and Miss St too?

The "net talent loss" is a little bit misleading / inaccurate, imo. Pilch kinda touched on this), but based on how I think you are defining it, every single Wake football team and the vast majority of teams in general (barring exceptions like Colorado the past couple seasons and maybe Lincoln Riley's first USC team) have a net talent loss. You could describe the 2021 team as losing starters in Kenneth Walker, Boogie Basham, Trey Rucker, Jacquez Williams and potential good players like Nolan Groulx and Mike Allen, while not bringing in any ostensibly sure-fire transfers.

On the whole, I'm personally pretty pleased with how roster retention has panned out so far (with Banks being the one painful one). I think like Sig said, the core issue with last year's team was QB and while I think it will definitely get better, it's hard to feel super confident in that position for next year. (I'm actually bullish -- I think Mitch Griffis was just outlier bad in terms of performance vs. a replacement level player)

Back