• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Next Year's FB Team + Scholarship Tracker |

After attrition, my biggest concern is the secondary. We had legit starters at safety, but unproven youngsters behind them. We’ll see if they can step up. Corners weren’t great, hopefully Jones, Glasker, er al improve a lot. Glad we got Blue.

All I know is we'd feel a lot better if we had Max Johnson or Grayson McCall coming in at QB like our in-state brethren. And apparently we have the NIL to do it.
I don’t want to be a dick but Grayson McCall would have to drop out a quarter of the way into the season because of academics

I don’t want to be a dick but Grayson McCall would have to drop out a quarter of the way into the season because of academics
Considering you can't become academically ineligible until final grades are in for the semester, the only potential issue would be bowl games.

It's not just about adding guys though, it's about keeping the talent already on our roster. Clawson has spoken about this in a presser earlier this season, when he mentioned having to scramble a bit to get Jurgens/Carson/Gordon secured in February '23.

We avoided disaster by having Claiborne, Davis, Gordon, Morin back for next season. Banks and Williams are above-average starters that we are not replacing in the portal.

That doesn't include guys who didn't use all their eligibility (Carson, Mustapha) or potential good players like Grimes who haven't proven it yet.

It puts a lot of pressure on younger players to step in earlier in their career. This is a completely different model than how WF has competed since the start of the Grobe era. And Clawson clearly doesn't like it, as he has spoken about publicly. So I don't think its totally unwarranted to be concerned how things shake out in this environment.

On paper at this moment, we are a net talent loss. And that is from a bad team. But maybe we needed some roster turnover.

Clawson has his work cut out for him.
Doesn't feel like a loss of 2 starters at receiver because you move Morin back to the slot and get Donovan back. You're basically down 1 starting WR.

For Carson and Mustapha, I don't blame any player who gets themselves on the NFL's radar for taking that shot. That's what almost every player on the team is playing for.

was kinda surprised ke’shawn didn’t get better offers. looks like indiana was his only big ten and vandy his only sec offers.

Here is another one that confuses me. Wake has offered Mateen Ibirogba a sophomore DE out of Georgetown, who has played two seasons of college football. According to everything we have heard, this is the exact type of player that we would not be able to go after because of credits. He started college after Covid, so he only has 4 years of eligibility, and he played more than 4 games in his freshmen and sophomore seasons, so he only has two seasons of eligibility left.
He is not a redshirt. So he has done approximately 1 1/2 years of academics. (3 semesters). So about 45 credits plus 1 or 2 summer sessions. So perhaps 12 more credits. Total 57. So under the half the credits from elsewhere. More than half to be earned beginning as a second semester sophomore at Wake in January.

Indiana is another school without an ideal QB situation.

This is what happens when the QB throws the ball to you like two times all year. I’m so angry about losing Banks and Key.
Christian Watson caught 105 passes in 4 years and just got picked in the second round.

I loved Williams, and the play against FSU where he basically willed his way to a first down on third-and-long will always stand out as a favorite, but his offers and landing spot make some of the comments concerning his departure appear pretty foolish.

Christian Watson caught 105 passes in 4 years and just got picked in the second round.

I loved Williams, and the play against FSU where he basically willed his way to a first down on third-and-long will always stand out as a favorite, but his offers and landing spot make some of the comments concerning his departure appear pretty foolish.
You think we have someone better than him to take his place?

The great coaches manage to have high expectations and still foster that "everyone doubts us" mentality in their players.
Which is really annoying when you hear them talk about it after winning the national championship, but maybe you are right. How many times do you hear the running back from Ohio State or cornerback from UGA talking about how motivated they were by all the doubters. All the adversity, yada yada. “Nobody thought we could do this but the guys in this locker room”.
Now, if Wake had won the national championship last year and Claiborne makes those statements, then everybody listening is thinking, “you’re right, I didn’t think you had any chance of winning it all. We really did doubt you.”

Exactly. Now think about how many times a Wake team has come out overconfident or unmotivated in a critical conference game. We haven't had many teams adopt that "us against the world" mentality. Maybe the TJDK team and the Fresh Deacs?

Back