• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Next year's Football expectations...

Shooting from the hip, with no info re: our opponents next year (other than who they are):

Bowl game is an absolute must, i.e., 6-6 record minimum.

Will be disappointed with fewer than eight wins given our schedule.

Should not be unreasonable to expect WF to contend for the division and an appearance in the league title game.

If WF is not in the division race next year, then I think the pattern for Grobe's tenure will be set: one championship year out of every dozen or so, with a few near misses in other seasons. That is no small shakes at WF, but will indicate to me that JG has taken the program as far as he can take it.

I'm hoping for 8-4, including a win over UNC and no more than one blowout. I'd be pretty happy with that.

QB...Solid but need Sousa or Cross to develop
RB...Harris bounces back and has a breakout season;Reynolds provides depth
WR...Best unit on the team; Givens makes All-America bid
TE...Big question mark
O-Line...Big and talented but unproven; Key to Wake's season

D-line...Whitlock needs help; Healthy Booi and Sousa would help; Young athletic DEs are interesting
LB...Ziggy, JJ, Olsen, Joey yeah should be OK
CB...Bud should have help...
S...Please move Okoro here; Should be solid

Special teams...Wulfeck has steadily improved, Newman a couple of stumbles but solid; Camp is good returner but this needs to be sorted out during Spring...

I see 8-4 next year...What say ye...

I think Gordon will play at TE as a true freshman, Rook could as well as they are both talented.

Is Wiggins coming back because he was playing 2nd team lb during the summer and looked really good?

I'd def go FSU. Win that and we have a very good chance to make the ACCCG and possibly the Orange Bowl. Beating ND would give us notoriety for a week, but winning in Tally could have more lasting effects.

And hopefully we'll be good enough next year to where winning in South Bend wouldn't be some major revelation

It is obvious, and has been said before, but the line play will absolutely determine what kind of season we have next year. The O-line needs to gel early (a truly frightening prospect given who will be responsible for that task), and we simply have to get more production from the big guys on the D-line. Whitlock can't do it by himself, and they are going to have to figure out a way to get more consistent pressure on the QB if we're going to improve our scoring defense.

Very similar to 2008 really. We probably will receive the most preseason hype we've received since that year, but the problem then is the problem now ... lots of personnel loss on the OL. That year we couldn't protect Riley to save our lives and wound up with the #101 ranked offense in the country. Hopefully won't be a repeat next year

Just asking, I thought that people said in 2012 we'll be competing for a ACC title?

I said 5 or 6 this past season. I'm saying 8 or 9 next season. I think it's going to be a fun year.

Nothing short of a BCS National Championship will suffice. The time is now.

Less than 7 wins will be a failure IMO. Next year our team should expect to compete for and win the division. If our team is shooting for less fire Grobe. Clemson will be ready to choke. TOB will try to get fired again. FSU faithful don't believe in Fisher and their players giveup. A good BC or Wake team can often win the Atlantic by playing smart because that's how things usually lineup. We've blown the division twice because of bad coaching following the OB year and this one.

Last edited:
Answering right now, would you rather win @FSU or @ND next year?

Obviously FSU, since that has conference implications, but I'll be at the ND game and that one would be a fun one to win. If they lose Te'o and Eifert to the draft as well as Floyd et al, they could be worse than they were this year. The only scary returning part of that team is the D-Line - those freshmen DEs were absolute animals.

In looking at next year's schedule, there are two near-lock non-conference wins (Liberty and Army) and a probable win in Vandy. Notre Dame is only a possible win--they pushed us around an awful lot this year on the lines, and that probably isn't getting better anytime soon.

At any rate, if we can go from one non-conference win this year to three next year, we'll be well on our way to having a good season, particularly considering that we get BC and Duke at home.

Guess the two-deep:

Code:
QB	Tanner Price	Kevin Sousa
RB	Josh Harris	Orville Reynolds
FB	Tommy Bohanon	Ben Emert
WR	Chris Givens	Sherman Ragland
WR	Mike Campanaro	Lovell Jackson
WR	Terence Davis	Matt James
TE	Zach Gordon	Jonny Garcia
LT	Steven Chase	Hunter Goodwin	
LG	Dylan Heartsill	Antonio Ford	
OC	G.Williams	Chance Raines	
RG	Colin Summers	Dylan Intemann
RT	Cody Preble	Daniel Blitch

DE	Zach Thompson	Kris Redding
DT	Nikita Whitlock	Frank Souza
DE	Desmond Floyd	Daniel Vogelsang
OLB	Joey Ehrmann	Derricus Ellis
ILB	Justin Jackson	Scott Betros
ILB	Mike Olson	Riley Haynes
OLB	Zach Allen	Josh Hunt
CB	Bud Noel	AJ Marshall
FS	Daniel Mack	Kenny Okoro	
SS	Duran Lowe	Desmond Cooper
CB	Kevin Johnson	Dominique Tate

Can't argue too much, I expect Blitch and Ford to start although I think we will play more OL than this year. Depth will be better although inexperienced.

I will be a little disappointed with anything less than 9(or at worst 8) wins.

Vandy will be good again next year both their qb and rb will be seniors.

This, and Vandy just looked bigger and stronger than us at most positions on the field. It was disheartening.

It was all coaching they did not change that much from the beat down we put on them last year.

I didn't say it wasn't coaching. I'm just saying that they passed the "look" test more than we did.

Back