• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NFL combine

Fusiondad10

Reaction score
Just announced today, Strnad, Herron and Bassey invited to the combine. Congrats to those great Deacs and best of luck.

2020 NFL Scouting Combine: Snubs and surprises from the invite list
Wide Receiver
Snub: Kendall Hinton, Wake Forest
A former quarterback, Hinton made the transition to receiver look easy. He showed better polish in his routes than expected and tracked the ball naturally, showing the adjustment skills mid-air to make “wow” catches on tape. Hinton is a very coordinated athlete in space and it is too bad we won’t see his continued development while in Indianapolis.

Other omissions: Tyler Simmons (Georgia), Isaiah Wright (Temple), Jonathon Johnson (Missouri), Isaiah Zuber (Mississippi State), Ja’Marcus Bradley (Louisiana), Josh Hammond (Florida), Nick Westbrook (Indiana), Jordan McCray (Oklahoma State), Scotty Washington (Wake Forest)

Well that really sucks. Hopefully they perform well at Pro Day.

Scotty Washington is the most surprising WF combine omission to me. Realize that production didn't always live up to talent, but Scotty is a legit 6-5, can run, and his hands improved each year. Just watching him run routes at his size and agility, the thought "NFL" easily comes to mind.

Scotty Washington is the most surprising WF combine omission to me. Realize that production didn't always live up to talent, but Scotty is a legit 6-5, can run, and his hands improved each year. Just watching him run routes at his size and agility, the thought "NFL" easily comes to mind.

Showing up to play in the nfl every day is a quality teams look for in young players. Washington has always been a question mark. He gets no benefit of the doubt as a vet would.

Good for Bassey, he needs a good showing - read a few reports from the senior bowl that were not super flattering.

Not that surprised whatsoever. More proven players have been snubbed.

May work out better for Scotty that his 40 time may be hand clocked and not laser timed.

Should have played in the bowl game and all star game to dispel any lingering injury concerns after missing so many games

Read a report on CBS listing Bassey as one of the standouts - ran a 4.46 40, had a good vertical leap, looked good in drills and suggested a day 2 landing spot in the draft. Good for him.

Apologies for the format, best I could do quickly

Player Pos Height Wt 40YD Vertical BenchReps Broad Jump 3Cone Shuttle
ESSANG BASSEY CB 5-9 191 4.46 39.5 12 128.0 6.95 4.13
JUSTIN HERRON OL 6-4 308 5.26 33.0 27 105.0 8.41 4.88
JUSTIN STRNAD LB 6-3 238 4.74 29.0 N/A 113.0 N/A 4.49

Herron's 27 bench reps is better than respectable, tied for 8th among OL and higher than a few first and second round locks. Of course he's 24 years old instead of 20-21 years old, which makes a difference.

Strnad's 40 at 4.74 is middle of the pack for LB. Bassey also middle of the pack at 4.46 for DB.

For comparison:

Most Bench Press Reps:
Tommy Bohanon – 36 (2013)
Phil Haynes – 33 (2019)
Mike Collins – 32 (2002)
Morgan Kane – 29 (2000)
Justin Herron – 27 (2020)
Chris DeGeare – 27 (2010)

I was surprised that Bassey measured in at 5'9". He didn't strike me as small/short when playing. Dortch looked small. Bassey did not.

I was surprised that Bassey measured in at 5'9". He didn't strike me as small/short when playing. Dortch looked small. Bassey did not.

Dortch measured 5-7 at the combine. Couple that with the fact that the average NFL WR is two inches taller than the average NFL CB (6-1 vs 5-11) and the differences in height become that much more pronounced.

For comparison:

Most Bench Press Reps:
Phil Haynes – 33 (2019)
Mike Collins – 32 (2002)
Morgan Kane – 29 (2000)

Tommy Bohannon - what a beast. Sucks that fullbacks have almost no role in football any more..

For comparison:

Most Bench Press Reps:
Phil Haynes – 33 (2019)
Mike Collins – 32 (2002)
Morgan Kane – 29 (2000)

Ha! Did a quick check on Chris DeGeare and found out he is married to Pete Seeger's grand-daughter and was a neighbor of mine when I lived near Beacon, NY. Pete Seeger is famously the folk artist who ran out and tried to unplug Bob Dylan's amp at the Newport Folk Festival in 1965 when he was playing Maggie's Farm. He's famous for a bunch of songs too, but that is what he is known for. I used to see him in his 90s standing by the side of the road holding up, 'End the Iraq War' signs. Embarrassed to admit I "was too busy" to stop and said hello. I honked my support. Yuk on me.

For comparison:

Most Bench Press Reps:
Phil Haynes – 33 (2019)
Mike Collins – 32 (2002)
Morgan Kane – 29 (2000)

Don't think Nikita Whitlock was invited to the NFL Combine, but I seem to remember he did an insane number of bench reps......like 35-40.

Back