• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NFL combine

Don't think Nikita Whitlock was invited to the NFL Combine, but I seem to remember he did an insane number of bench reps......like 35-40.

go higher

Wake Forest NT Nikita Whitlock, who may switch to FB at the next level, "caught the ball well in rough conditions" at the school's pro day, according to NFL.com's Gil Brandt.

Whitlock (5-foot-9 3/4, 251 pounds) recorded an amazing 43 bench press at the event, adding 4.82 and 4.86 second forties, a 33-inch vertical jump, a 9-foot broad jump, a 4.34 second short shuttle, and a 6.91 second three-cone. "Whitlock’s pro-day numbers will have NFL teams considering a position change," wrote Brandt. "A team could bring him into training camp and make a fullback out of him. ... He will be an interesting experiment for a team signing him as a priority free agent following the 2014 NFL Draft." The Patriots, for one, have already worked out Whitlock as a FB. He could also be auditioned as a LB.

It always amazes me that these made up exercises have so much input for players in a P5 conference. How they play football should mean much more than a standing long jump or running through cones.

It always amazes me that these made up exercises have so much input for players in a P5 conference. How they play football should mean much more than a standing long jump or running through cones.

Overall athleticism level in the NFL is much higher than CFB. It makes perfect sense to directly test their athleticism along with analysis of how they played football against less athletic competition. Plenty of guys have put up great numbers/film in CFB and failed to have the athleticism to keep up in the NFL

Plenty of guys have killed it at the combine and been busts.

Don't think Nikita Whitlock was invited to the NFL Combine, but I seem to remember he did an insane number of bench reps......like 35-40.

tenor.gif

Plenty of guys have killed it at the combine and been busts.

Well you know each team gets to decide how much emphasis it plays in their decision making, right? Just because the combine happens doesn't mean it's a huge part of the decision-making process, one way or the other. But it certainly has some value.

Back