• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NFL Offseason Thread: 2018 NFL Draft

I just really get annoyed by us keyboard warriors shitting on players for doing their damndest to make a play that we would 100% try to make in the same situation.

Absolutely absurd to think that genius PhDeac would have thought on that scramble, "31 seconds on the clock, fresh set of downs....not gonna try to score here" WHILE THE PLAY IS GOING ON.

Carr tried to make a play and it blew up in his face, but it wasn't a stupid play to try to make.

God is Texan?

No, dumbass. He should have been thinking before the play, "We don't need to score here. We just need to get the first down." And made the appropriately play whether it's a short slant pass and spike or run out of bounds at the marker.

During the play, he should have been thinking, "I can't make this play" or "Hold on to the damn ball."

No, dumbass. He should have been thinking before the play, "We don't need to score here. We just need to get the first down." And made the appropriately play whether it's a short slant pass and spike or run out of bounds at the marker.

During the play, he should have been thinking, "I can't make this play" or "Hold on to the damn ball."

OK, sports star. Nobody thinks that way during any individual play.

Carr saw a chance for a game winning TD and went for it. It blew up in his face, but he decided to go for it.

And LOL at a QB thinking when his team is inside the redzone "ok, we don't need to score here". Yeah, that's something you want your QB thinking about when close to the end zone.

You keep on thinking, Ph, that's what you're good at.

Also, "dumbass"? Ouch, bro.

0% chance you don't try to do the same if you were blessed with the talents to play football professionally.

What nonsense.

I absolutely wouldn’t unless I was Cam. He’s literally the only QB I’d trust to dive from the five with the game on the line.

I absolutely wouldn’t unless I was Cam. He’s literally the only QB I’d trust to dive from the five with the game on the line.

hahahhahaha

The flow chart you would go through in your head during any given play must be amazing.

dv7 arguing with someone on a Sunday night after a Cowboys game.

An OGBoards tradition.

dv7 arguing with someone on a Sunday night after a Cowboys game.

An OGBoards tradition.

God bless America.

although, SHAKING IT UP, not defending any Cowboys player and play this time. Soooooooo.... yeah.

If Carr had just run out of bounds, Al and Chris would have lauded him for making the smart play and giving his team three shots at the endzone.

0% chance you don't try to do the same if you were blessed with the talents to play football professionally.

What nonsense.

Unless it was the Patriots they'd be smart enough to know with 30 sec left a 1st and goal from the 2 would fine.

Suggested solutions to the catch rule and touchback rule

To improve matters, let's get rid of the surviving the ground rule and stop taking away touchdown catches for balls that narrowly drop slightly after a player's established contact. Runners can score touchdowns just by flashing the ball over the plane of the goal line, but receivers currently need to complete their catch to the ground to become runners and qualify for touchdowns. Under our rule change, a player becomes a runner as soon as he catches the ball and gets two feet (or one knee or elbow or cheek, as Damiere Byrd exhibited Sunday) inbounds.

I like "reverse touchback," ... When the ball is fumbled out of bounds through the pylon, don't turn the ball over. Just push it back to the 20-yard line. I'll add that the down should count, so the reerse touchback basically costs you 19-plus yards of field position but otherwise lets you keep the football. You're punished for fumbling, but it's not the eight-point swing (including the missing touchdown and the possession given to the other team) that comes with the current rule.

Is there a compelling reason why the NFL Network can't create five minutes of content to air before RedZone launches? Seems like a waste to simply post a 5 minute timer every week.

The NFL RedZone countdown is one of my 3.5 year old daughter's favorite things. Which means I like it because she's OK with football being on for a while instead of one of her shows.

She asks me to turn on the countdown at various times during the week and I have to explain to her that it is only a Sunday afternoon thing... Not like something on Netflix that we can just pull up and watch at anytime.

I promise she's not as slow as I make her sound.

I honestly don’t hate the catch rule. I think Barnwell’s idea of instant possession would be a mess. It is funny how at the time it looked like Byrd’s TD was going to be the play to talk about for the week and now it’s practically forgotten.

I had never heard much groaning about the touchback rule until this year but maybe I had somehow just missed it.

I honestly don’t hate the catch rule. I think Barnwell’s idea of instant possession would be a mess. It is funny how at the time it looked like Byrd’s TD was going to be the play to talk about for the week and now it’s practically forgotten.

I had never heard much groaning about the touchback rule until this year but maybe I had somehow just missed it.

The catch rule is fine. To score a touchdown you have to have possession AND break the plane. To establish possession, you have to control the ball as you hit the ground.

Since there wasn’t possession, there can’t be a TD.

The NFL RedZone countdown is one of my 3.5 year old daughter's favorite things. Which means I like it because she's OK with football being on for a while instead of one of her shows.

She asks me to turn on the countdown at various times during the week and I have to explain to her that it is only a Sunday afternoon thing... Not like something on Netflix that we can just pull up and watch at anytime.

I promise she's not as slow as I make her sound.

Awesome.

My 3.5 son loves watching Redzone - he calls it the 'color change game'. He's getting pretty good at recognizing all the teams, but will often say 'the Rams are on!' when their score shows up on the ticker (or Todd Gurley's godlike stats are projected on the screen) versus actually being on tv. He also asks if the Redskins will be on every three or four minutes.

I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but if I were, it'd be hard to watch the end of the Steelers/Pats game and not be convinced that the fix was in. Especially considering that Gronk shouldn't have been allowed to play in that game in the first place.

Awesome.

My 3.5 son loves watching Redzone - he calls it the 'color change game'. He's getting pretty good at recognizing all the teams, but will often say 'the Rams are on!' when their score shows up on the ticker (or Todd Gurley's godlike stats are projected on the screen) versus actually being on tv. He also asks if the Redskins will be on every three or four minutes.

Mine doesn't know the actual teams, but recognizes the logos. The Horseshoes! (Colts) The Cheetahs! (Jaguars) The Pirate Flags! (Buccaneers)

It's better than my wife does. It still really confuses her when they switch around to all of the different games. "I thought the Giants were going to score, but now it's snowing and Buffalo has the ball... What is going on?"

The one thing that I can't wrap my head around with the fumbling through the end zone is that in every other scenario in which there is a fumble, the opposing team has to recover the ball in bounds to get possession. Not sure why this isn't the case when it goes through the end zone as well. I personally love the idea of making the offense go back to the 20 and have it be a 19 yard penalty.

As for the catch/no catch in the Pats game, by the letter of the law it wasn't a catch, but damn is it a stupid role. The dude clearly had possession of the ball and had such good control of it he changed his body and reached to get over the goal line. The rules just make it so hard on the refs.

by the by, it was so stupid for Roethlisberger to try the fake spike run a play play. there was like 15 seconds left, of course he was going to go for the end zone. Pats weren't fooled and they only had 1 guy running a route. just stupid playcall and execution, they should have won.

by the by, it was so stupid for Roethlisberger to try the fake spike run a play play. there was like 15 seconds left, of course he was going to go for the end zone. Pats weren't fooled and they only had 1 guy running a route. just stupid playcall and execution, they should have won.

Also even dumber for the route to not be a fade route. Did the WR just improvise that, or Ben signal him to run a slant? Throw the fade and it's probably complete 20%, incomplete 78%, intercepted 2%. Not so much throwing it over the middle.

Back