• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NFL Offseason Thread: 2018 NFL Draft

Both Rosen and Darnold declared yesterday. So with those two, plus Allen and Mayfield available, should the Browns take 2 QBs at #1 and #4, hoping one of them will work out and the other will be the typical Browns bust? Best-case they both are strong and they can trade one of them for a load of picks Aikman/Walsh style. Likely case one is good and one struggles, so let the struggling one go like Cousins/RG3. Worst-case they both suck, in which case it is just another day in the Browns franchise.

The Browns problem is Rosen doesn't want to go there, and he's the surest thing in the draft at the QB position. And I'm not as sold on Darnold, Mayfield or Allen. I like Rudolph more than those guys. So if they get the sense Rosen is going to pull an Eli Manning on them, they may have to trade out of that position. And if they do that, they can bring in a load of additional picks. And if they're not drafting Rosen, they should bring in 1 of Taylor, Bridgewater, Bradford or Alex Smith as a caretaker for whatever QB they draft. That's assuming they don't get Cousins.

This is an even better question. Where do Cousins, Eli, Taylor, Bridgewater, Bradford and Smith end up? Jax seems like the only logical place for Eli if he's out of NY, or maybe Zona. Cousins is going to the highest bidder, so that team will need the requisite cap space, which probably means NYJ, Buf or Cle. Denver has a terrible OL and probably goes more mobile at QB - I'm thinking Tyrod (Eli would get killed there, and Kubiak likes Taylor). I'm thinking Smith to Zona, or maybe Jax. The Jets are already talking about trading up to draft a QB. Buffalo has to take a vet considering their draft position. If they don't get Cousins, they may end up with Bridgewater.

After all these years, I'm convinced Cleveland is the problem, not the QBs.

That said, if they can trade down for a bevy of picks, they should. Then trade down for even more picks.

That said, if they can trade down for a bevy of picks, they should. Then trade down for even more picks.

The main problem is they've had bad GMs. Sashi Brown was Matt Millen bad. The GM they brought in from KC is a football guy who probably knows what he's doing. They've already got 4 2nd round picks this year. If they trade down further, they'll have a boatload of picks over the next 2 years. That's why I thought the Browns were the best opening for a GM. If they get a QB and draft reasonably well, they'll be good before too long. Speaking of open GM positions, Houston will be a sweet landing too. They have a great D and a 2nd year franchise QB who loves the current coach. Nudging Smith out that door was a good move.

I bet if they tried hard enough, Cleveland could end up with the entire 7th round.

As a 49ers fan, I'm looking forward to a somewhat calm offseason. We didn't fire a coach or general manager, it looks like we finally have a quarterback. We need to sign him sure, but I think that's just a matter of when and how much, not if.

As a 49ers fan, I'm looking forward to a somewhat calm offseason. We didn't fire a coach or general manager, it looks like we finally have a quarterback. We need to sign him sure, but I think that's just a matter of when and how much, not if.

I've been wondering about this, is it a for sure thing? What's stopping cleveland from backing up the brinks truck for Jimmy GQ and using all those picks to build around him.

I've been wondering about this, is it a for sure thing? What's stopping cleveland from backing up the brinks truck for Jimmy GQ and using all those picks to build around him.

The franchise tag

The Browns problem is Rosen doesn't want to go there, and he's the surest thing in the draft at the QB position. And I'm not as sold on Darnold, Mayfield or Allen. I like Rudolph more than those guys. So if they get the sense Rosen is going to pull an Eli Manning on them, they may have to trade out of that position. And if they do that, they can bring in a load of additional picks. And if they're not drafting Rosen, they should bring in 1 of Taylor, Bridgewater, Bradford or Alex Smith as a caretaker for whatever QB they draft. That's assuming they don't get Cousins.

This is an even better question. Where do Cousins, Eli, Taylor, Bridgewater, Bradford and Smith end up? Jax seems like the only logical place for Eli if he's out of NY, or maybe Zona. Cousins is going to the highest bidder, so that team will need the requisite cap space, which probably means NYJ, Buf or Cle. Denver has a terrible OL and probably goes more mobile at QB - I'm thinking Tyrod (Eli would get killed there, and Kubiak likes Taylor). I'm thinking Smith to Zona, or maybe Jax. The Jets are already talking about trading up to draft a QB. Buffalo has to take a vet considering their draft position. If they don't get Cousins, they may end up with Bridgewater.

I still think there's a decent chance we [the Bills] keep Tyrod next year

If the Browns took two QBs in the top 4, they'd definitely hurt each other in some hilarious way. Like one falls down some steps and lands on the other, blowing out each other's ACLs.

Obvious issues with taking two QBs in top 4 are insufficient playing time for each to develop to know what you've got, the money you'd have to pay to two players at the same position, and the PR problem of explaining to your fans that you're too stupid to have confidence enough in yourself to draft the right QB

The franchise tag

Gotcha, I wasn't sure if you automatically can just franchise anyone or if the trade complicated that but makes sense. Good for the niners, he looks pretty damn impressive so far.

Both sides seem pretty interested in making it happen in SF. We have a lot of available cap space available. And all else failing, we do have the franchise tag. Not to mention that SF seems to be on the way up and Cleveland is, well, Cleveland.

The franchise tag

Well, that and offering him a nice contract, like 5-6 years at $20+mil, before he hits the market. And he'd probably prefer to remain in SF after his brief but successful stint there with a good offensive coach.

I still think there's a decent chance we [the Bills] keep Tyrod next year

One of my best friends around here is a yuge Bills fan, and she thinks he's gone as well. They've essentially told him a couple of times they don't see him as their long term QB answer. And Kubiak likes him, which is why I think he ends up in Denver. What's your cap space like? I was just talking to my Cville Bills fan and she didn't know. Cousins is the 1 FA QB who will break the bank, so it makes sense that he'll go to the highest bidder, and in order to be a high bidder, you can't be in cap jail. Denver doesn't have the cap room. The teams who need a QB and have cap space are Cle and NYJ that I know of, and maybe Buf, Zona or Jax too.

I can see Tyrod going to Denver. Bridgewater in Buffalo would be Tyrod 2.0, but with less experience and shittier knees. If the Bills go with a FA QB, my bet would be Alex Smith. Eli reuniting with Coughlin makes too much sense. The Jets will win the Cousins sweepstakes. And who the hell knows what Cleveland will end up doing, but whatever it is, it won't work.

Rumors that this might be the last year of the Kraft-Belichick-Brady trio. And it just so happens that the only other NFL team where Belichick would coach has an opening. Work that Gettlemagic, fat man! Bring him home!

Rumors that this might be the last year of the Kraft-Belichick-Brady trio. And it just so happens that the only other NFL team where Belichick would coach has an opening. Work that Gettlemagic, fat man! Bring him home!

What's the problem? I mean shit they could keep winning Super Bowls as long as Brady is still playing like GOAT Brady.

Reactions: Ayo
What's the problem? I mean shit they could keep winning Super Bowls as long as Brady is still playing like GOAT Brady.
You are asking a question to the guy who thinks drafting two QBs in the first 4 picks is a good idea.

Don't do that.

This seems like the same wishful thinking that the other 31 fanbases have every year.

Back