• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NFL ratings decline

Deacon923

Scooter Banks
Reaction score
https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2018/02/super-bowl-nfl-ratings-decline/551861/

this is the best analysis I have seen of the ratings decline, since it is based on actual facts and not feelings/anecdotes/political leaning. People are cutting the cord, which impacts all broadcasts, and worse, the most popular teams suck right now and the least popular teams are winning.

1a8e5cbd4.png

The sport itself also sucks hard these days.

Its most effective player is a noodle armed megalomaniac who thinks he can cheat Father Time.

Burn it to the ground.

Kansas City is last because people in Kansas City don't own computers or know how to read.

Moving back into anecdote-land, i find the games hard to watch because they are boring mostly because the penalties and explanations and replays and nonsense are interminable.

Kansas City is last because people in Kansas City don't own computers or know how to read.

Its amazing how it's possible for me to be reading this on my computer in Kansas City. Talk about ratings decline all you want, but Fox just gave the NFL $3.3 billion dollars to carry the crappy Thursday night games for the next five years.

the game just moves way too slowly. too any reviews, and too many goofy rulings

also, the portability of players and the rise of fantasy football is hurting as well

How does NFL RedZone factor in to this? I have it on for 7 hours on most Sundays.

Nothing moves slowly, there are no commercials, and you get to see the relevant parts of every game.

Edit: Are RedZone viewers included in ratings numbers?

Last edited:
https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2018/02/super-bowl-nfl-ratings-decline/551861/

this is the best analysis I have seen of the ratings decline, since it is based on actual facts and not feelings/anecdotes/political leaning. People are cutting the cord, which impacts all broadcasts, and worse, the most popular teams suck right now and the least popular teams are winning.

1a8e5cbd4.png

Meh. Serious hyperbole talking about "the decline and fall" and "demise" of the NFL, which is still, by far the biggest juggernaut in sports (not close) -- particularly where the primary reasons the article provides for the decline are 1) universal and 2) star players were injured and the most popular teams were down this year (which is cyclical or rare).

NFL is and will be fine for the foreseeable future, and the big channels will keep throwing money at it.

How does NFL RedZone factor in to this? I have it on for 7 hours on most Sundays.

Nothing moves slowly, there are no commercials, and you get to see the relevant parts of every game.

aren't you just consuming the sport via ClipShow, though?

I would argue that cord cutting it the issue here. Most cord cutters get an OTA so they get all the games anyway except Monday Night Football.

Not saying it's not the way to watch football, but I think it does play into people's expectations of both impact plays and pace of play. If you only watch teams score, then when you finally do watch a game, you're going to think your offense sucks and the pace of the game is way too slow; which could affect your view of football, and ultimately the ratings.

Cord cutting and people preferring to watch their team play. That isn’t hard hitting analysis.

Like others have said, FOX just sold much of their company to a competitor and still had cash to purchase the games people hate to watch.

the game just moves way too slowly. too any reviews, and too many goofy rulings

also, the portability of players and the rise of fantasy football is hurting as well

There is an easy fix for this if you are actually watching a whole game and not the RZC. DVR. Just record and start watching about 20 minutes in. Catch up. Take a break at HT, watch highlights, go potty, get outside, have sex with your wife (or your real doll if you're Moonz) and start about 20 minutes after HT. Magic.

Don't @ me.

Not saying it's not the way to watch football, but I think it does play into people's expectations of both impact plays and pace of play. If you only watch teams score, then when you finally do watch a game, you're going to think your offense sucks and the pace of the game is way too slow; which could affect your view of football, and ultimately the ratings.

These are good points.

I also watch most TNF, SNF, MNF, and playoffs, so I can't really answer my own question.

Meh. Serious hyperbole talking about "the decline and fall" and "demise" of the NFL, which is still, by far the biggest juggernaut in sports (not close) -- particularly where the primary reasons the article provides for the decline are 1) universal and 2) star players were injured and the most popular teams were down this year (which is cyclical or rare).

NFL is and will be fine for the foreseeable future, and the big channels will keep throwing money at it.

i think this is mostly true. however there has been a substantial ratings decline and I think the article explains it better than Colin Kaepernick kneeling.

Back