• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NFL Year 2023. Kansas City Chiefs Win Super Bowl LVIII. Defeat 49ers in Overtime. 25-22.

i think they were in a tough spot going into the draft with the #1 pick. If you watched Fields last year, you saw the most dynamic playmaker at the QB position in the league. Take a flyer on one of the 3 QBs in the draft or if you can get Fields to average as a passer you have something really special. So i think trading #1 made a ton of sense...
the Carter pick may haunt them more, but again...i see it. the guy had horrible pro day. Who the F has a bad Pro day?

So nothing they did was really bat shit crazy...it all makes some level of sense.
no

Rather than give up on Fields, they chose to get him a legit #1 WR. If he still struggled, they’d have a high pick and they got another pick to draft a QB. If he made a leap, they could upgrade the rest of the roster.

i think they were in a tough spot going into the draft with the #1 pick. If you watched Fields last year, you saw the most dynamic playmaker at the QB position in the league. Take a flyer on one of the 3 QBs in the draft or if you can get Fields to average as a passer you have something really special. So i think trading #1 made a ton of sense...
the Carter pick may haunt them more, but again...i see it. the guy had horrible pro day. Who the F has a bad Pro day?

So nothing they did was really bat shit crazy...it all makes some level of sense.
Dude has been playing QB his entire life and has yet to become an average passer. Why the hell would he do it now against the best competition in the world? Same with AR. They both were surrounded by great talent in college and couldn't do it. QBs don't get better in the NFL than they were in college, relative to the other players. Shitty college QBs don't become quality NFL QBs.

I thought they missed it that last year. Forgot about that Titans game. As a Pats fan, what do you think about their last several drafts?
2022- Strange is fine, everyone else is a wash, 4 guys were waived just this preseason
2021- Mac was the right pick, Rhamondre is good.
2020- Dugger is good but was a reach.
2019- N'Keal Henry is an indefensible pick with the WR's that went behind him.
2018- Wynn and Michel were fine.

Bill believes that the draft is a crapshoot, so he gets as many picks as possible in the hopes that enough of them work out. He also views almost every player as replaceable, so he chooses to not pay a lot of veterans. It was a system that worked for a decade, but now it does not. You're right, he is a terrible GM, the Patricia and Joe Judge things last year were terrible. He has extreme loyalty to the people he views as his guys. Despite the record though, the Pats have played tough this year and weren't out of either game. If those two losses were sprinkled throughout the season it wouldn't be so bad, but to open the season 0-2 sucks.

I'll agree with everything else you said, but differ with Strange. He seems okay. But you don't spend a pick in the 20s on an alright OG from a small school who every other team thought they could get early day 3. McVay and Snead were rightly mocking that pick.

that's actually not the problem. having watched every snap of his career, the problem is he tends too hold the ball forever, or speed reads his progressions. Moving off first read is fine, it's getting rid of the damn rock where he just sucks

Lol he has three guys wide open on this sack

i know i've given the bears a hard time

but they had the #1 pick last year and dj moore seemed like the only material addition; i just didn't see them do anything to not be an awful team again

good news is that they can bottom out this year - have a legit shot at caleb williams and bring in a new coach with a stash of picks to rebuild

i do think this year is a lost season. i think they'll look back and cry at the 2023 draft one day when you see that they passed on bryce, stroud, richardson, and jalen carter.
based on mostly nothing I think I'd take Caleb Williams over those four

I thought they missed it that last year. Forgot about that Titans game. As a Pats fan, what do you think about their last several drafts?
I think Timmy largely covered it, although I'd argue the Wynn and Michel picks weren't "fine". Those were pretty bad picks, IMO. Nobody bats even close to 1.000 at the draft, but a lot of bad to really bad picks in the first 3 rounds from 2015-2020:

2015 - Malcolm Brown, Jordan Richards
2016 - Cyrus Jones
2017 - Derek Rivers
2018 - Duke Dawson
2019 - N'Keal Harry, Joejuan Williams, Chase Winovich
2020 - Anfernee Jennings, Devin Asiasi, Dalton Keene

Dugger pick in 2020 was made fun of at the same given he played D2, but he's shaped into a really strong player, especially playing in the box. Without McCourty there playing FS anymore, eh, I guess we'll see.

The Mac pick was the right one, as Timmy mentioned. And I still think he can be like the #10-#12 QB in the league if given good surrounding talent. Barmore and Rhamondre in the 2nd and 3rd rounds were good to great value.

Jury still out on Strange. He's been pretty hit or miss and given the position, you better be getting close to a Pro Bowler in the 1st round. Tyquan Thornton not trending in the right direction at all.

Small sample size for the 2023 class, but Christian Gonzalez and Keion White both look spectacular so far and foundational players you build a defense around. Marte Mapu also looks like a future starter.

Bill's been pretty good to really good at drafting defense throughout his tenure with some bad misses above at the end of the Brady years. And he seems to do well on offensive linemen. Skill position guys on offense though? Yeesh, it's like Gronk in the 2nd and Edelman in the 7th (which was more luck and development than anything). And some nice hits on RBs (James White), which are just disposable razors in the NFL now. After that, it's either he didn't even try to draft dynamic talent on offense or whew boy it's bad. I guess he did get Malcolm Mitchell from Biff's Dawgs, who was good before he blew out his knee in his 2nd/3rd? season.

i'd be curious to see the aggregate data on Taysom Hill at QB, especially in the redzone

not enough to do more than google which did not give me the data I was looking for

What an awful decision and throw by Carr. Let’s float one up into triple coverage and see what happens.

Back