• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NHL Chase for Lord Stanley's Cup

I'm not sure about the cost of Vokoun/Bryzgalov. The Flyers flirt with the cap limit as is, and I'd imagine those guys would go for a high salary. But I'd imagine they have to do something goaltending-wise, at least to have a good goalie to take the brunt of the load as Bob learns and improves. Maybe via trade?

I'd like to see Zherdev back too, but it seems he still hasn't played his way into Lavy's good graces, so I doubt it'll happen.

Did Leino play himself out of a new contract in the playoffs?

Honestly I hope they don't do too much. This team has all the pieces, they just need to play up to their talent. (Not that I know how to get them to do that.)

Caps will be looking to move one of our three youngsters this offseason I would think.

It looks like Bruce Boudreau is coming back for the Caps.

And I eat my words. SkinsnDeacs, you were right. I still think it's the wrong move, but looks like he'll be back. Wonder what that conversation was like...

"Bruce, this is the LAST chance, I swear... you better get us to the Eastern Conference Finals before getting swept"

Who are you thinking? Also what are you thinking with the goalie situation?

Johansson or Perreault likely. I hope we're able to keep Carlson and Alzner (Carlzner) as a defensive pairing.

I imagine Holtby or Varlamov will be traded. No sense in having three above-average goaltenders with the franchise.

Johansson or Perreault likely. I hope we're able to keep Carlson and Alzner (Carlzner) as a defensive pairing.

I imagine Holtby or Varlamov will be traded. No sense in having three above-average goaltenders with the franchise.

I was talking about goalies and I think (hope) it will be Varlamov. Nuvey solidified his spot and I would rather have Holtby. I like Varly I just don't think he can stay healthy. Plus I think Holtby has what it takes to be a star...it also would not hurt to start to get some positive press from America's hat.

I agree that in my limited knowledge that Holtby would be better to have than Varlomov and the neuvirth is clearly "the guy".

I also think that we could get a lot of value out of Varlomov. What do y'all think we need to address? STs were obviously an issue but we seemed to have some dumb mental breakdowns defensively.

A 2 seed has made the Stanley Cup Finals each year since the lockout. Interesting. Maybe it's good to not have the pressure of being the President's Cup winners.

Keep that trend alive Sharks! Fully on your bandwagon now

I agree that in my limited knowledge that Holtby would be better to have than Varlomov and the neuvirth is clearly "the guy".

I also think that we could get a lot of value out of Varlomov. What do y'all think we need to address? STs were obviously an issue but we seemed to have some dumb mental breakdowns defensively.

I think we need to add to our C position and probably do it with someone that can show a little leadership. Our ST's were ok because our kill was outstanding but we do need to add more firepower IMO.

I'm not sure about the cost of Vokoun/Bryzgalov. The Flyers flirt with the cap limit as is, and I'd imagine those guys would go for a high salary. But I'd imagine they have to do something goaltending-wise, at least to have a good goalie to take the brunt of the load as Bob learns and improves. Maybe via trade?

I'd like to see Zherdev back too, but it seems he still hasn't played his way into Lavy's good graces, so I doubt it'll happen.

Did Leino play himself out of a new contract in the playoffs?

Honestly I hope they don't do too much. This team has all the pieces, they just need to play up to their talent. (Not that I know how to get them to do that.)

No way Zherdev will be back. I'm not even going to bother thinking about whether I'd like him back, because there's no way. Lavi just doesn't like him.

They must re-sign Leino. You can't put a price on a dude who is able to just make something happen anytime with his puck-handling skills. Plus with the amount of money they still have invested in Danny B (4 years, $26 mil) and Hartnell (2 years, $8.4 mil, you can't risk screwing them up by losing their linemate. Don't forget what albatrosses they were before that line was formed.

As for a goalie... Bryzgalov or Vokoun would be tough to pass up on if it's at all possible. I'm not one for going the FA route with goalies usually, because it usually doesn't work, but those are two guys who have been consistently excellent throughout their careers. Vokoun, being older, might be ideal because he wouldn't cost as much and you could still keep Bob for the future.

One easy way to clear up some cap space for a goalie would be to trade Versteeg. I think there is still a market for him, and while I think he played well in the playoffs, I really think he's a little punkass and wouldn't mind if he's gone.

Assuming they were to dump Zherdev and Versteeg to get a goalie, you still can have two really good lines with JVR-Carter-Giroux and Leino-Briere-Hartnell, and for all Richie's shortcomings he can be a nice third-line center with Car-bomb and whomever you put on the other wing.

If Philly doesn't sign Leino, I'd gladly have him back in Detroit. He's a potentially great player, and just because most of the Flyers underachieved in the playoffs doesn't mean that he's suddenly not a guy who you can win with.

Apparently Nabokov is going to be available via trade from the Isles. On a $570K contract so wouldn't be crippling to anyone's cap.

Flyers thought about dealing for him at last year's draft so wouldn't surprise me to see them make a run at him again

Apparently Nabokov is going to be available via trade from the Isles. On a $570K contract so wouldn't be crippling to anyone's cap.

Flyers thought about dealing for him at last year's draft so wouldn't surprise me to see them make a run at him again

They actually did deal for him, just not officially. San Jose let them negotiate exclusively with him, and in exchange the Flyers would have sent a pick if they signed him. But obviously it never happened.

I'd take a flyer on him only because of the salary. But if the Isles are asking too much in a trade, I don't know, because Nabokov is going to be 36 and he has had playoff demons.

No way Zherdev will be back. I'm not even going to bother thinking about whether I'd like him back, because there's no way. Lavi just doesn't like him.

They must re-sign Leino. You can't put a price on a dude who is able to just make something happen anytime with his puck-handling skills. Plus with the amount of money they still have invested in Danny B (4 years, $26 mil) and Hartnell (2 years, $8.4 mil, you can't risk screwing them up by losing their linemate. Don't forget what albatrosses they were before that line was formed.

As for a goalie... Bryzgalov or Vokoun would be tough to pass up on if it's at all possible. I'm not one for going the FA route with goalies usually, because it usually doesn't work, but those are two guys who have been consistently excellent throughout their careers. Vokoun, being older, might be ideal because he wouldn't cost as much and you could still keep Bob for the future.

One easy way to clear up some cap space for a goalie would be to trade Versteeg. I think there is still a market for him, and while I think he played well in the playoffs, I really think he's a little punkass and wouldn't mind if he's gone.

Assuming they were to dump Zherdev and Versteeg to get a goalie, you still can have two really good lines with JVR-Carter-Giroux and Leino-Briere-Hartnell, and for all Richie's shortcomings he can be a nice third-line center with Car-bomb and whomever you put on the other wing.

Great post.

The last line of your post is extremely troubling. Richards regressed a lot this year. He wasn't his usual physical self, rarely played with energy, and didn't really do the small intangible things that he used to do which made him so effective. I don't think you can justify ~6 mil a year for centering a third line with Carcillo on it. With his giant contract though I don't really seem him getting moved. I guess we can just hope he was worn down from last year and battling injuries and he steps it up next year. He can be a game changer when he's on and I think the Flyers really need him at the top of his game. I also haven't been too impressed with him as the C, I would prefer it if someone else had that role, not really sure who though? (Pronger, Giroux, Briere are my thoughts, but I'm not sold on any of them)

Carter's contract makes him untradeable, but I really think he's becoming the Bobby Abreu of this Flyers group. He puts up very solid numbers, but he isn't physical and he doesn't step up his game when it matters. He's way too talented and got too much size to play the way he does.

I'm also sick of Hartnell, but I don't think there's anyway he could be moved. I'd love it if there was someway for Carter and Hartnell to be packaged for a young puck moving defenseman to take some of the pressure off Pronger and Timmonen.

I think signing Vokun is what I am hoping for at this point. I think it would be the perfect situation for Bob, where you could play Vokun around 50 games and Bob around 30 to keep Vokun fresh for the playoffs, while also continuing to develop Bob.

Last edited:
Back