• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NHL overtaking NBA?

Completely subjective but to me there is no comparison between the NBA product and the NHL product. I love basketball and I respect the talent that is in NBA...those guys are amazing. So amazing I think it makes the game boring. The common complaint about the NBA is that they don't play hard. I think they are so good they make it look like they are not playing hard. I can hardly sit through a full NBA game.

Personally speaking, I've made the switch. I still pay attention to the NBA, but I've found playoff hockey to have arguably the most exciting post-season of all sports. Yes, I have to confess the impetus came from bandwagoning onto the Bruins when they won the cup, but I've stuck around.

The product in the NBA right now is pretty terrible. There are 5-6 teams that are pretty talented, and then everyone else just blows. The NHL, meanwhile, has a whole lot of talent all around the league such that anyone can beat anyone else on a given night. Add in the marketing with things like 24/7 and Winter Classic, and it wouldn't surprise me to see the NHL's popularity surging past the NBA.

The product in the NBA right now is pretty terrible. There are 5-6 teams that are pretty talented, and then everyone else just blows. The NHL, meanwhile, has a whole lot of talent all around the league such that anyone can beat anyone else on a given night. Add in the marketing with things like 24/7 and Winter Classic, and it wouldn't surprise me to see the NHL's popularity surging past the NBA.

Unless you are just referring to the eastern conference this is inaccurate. The only teams I don't care to watch are Charlotte, Milwaukee, Utah, and either NY team. Every other team has either a great team, interesting players, a good coach, or something else worth following.

There are 10 teams alone in the West (depending if Anthony Davis is playing) that are doing some really great things on the basketball court night in and night out. Saying the product is terrible is pretty lazy.

The NBA is as good now as its ever been in my life

NBCSN becoming a consistent provider of NHL games on almost a nightly basis has certainly helped. Especially with the casual fans such as myself.
I thoroughly enjoyed last season's NHL playoffs because there was some continuity given that I watched games prior on NBCSN.

I would add that I think they've done a nice job with their NHL coverage.

I love the NHL, and revenues are definitely soaring, but (as the article notes) attendance numbers are kind of nonsense. For example:

Florida Panthers improving poor attendance numbers with tarps

Plus there are a number of sucky teams in Canada, where they can sell tickets even when the teams are awful.

The NBA does the same thing. The numbers the Wizards post are laughable. I went to a game that had no more than 5000 people and they claimed the attendance was 10000+.

The NBA does the same thing. The numbers the Wizards post are laughable. I went to a game that had no more than 5000 people and they claimed the attendance was 10000+.

#CatStevensNumbers

Right, so you can't really build an argument around the idea that the NHL's useless attendance numbers are higher than the NBA's useless attendance numbers.

The NHL's huge recent TV deals combined are still less than the NBA's, and the NBA is going to sign a new deal that should raise their annual revenue even more. Per Forbes, the NBA team valuations are higher than the NHL teams. I believe the NHL revenue has been growing faster than the NBA, but they have a long way to go if they are going to "overtake" the NBA.

That's from a business perspective. From a personal perspective, the NHL is obviously better, mainly because they don't play music while the game is going on.

Yep. This season about half of the league's top players have had considerable injuries. Not sure what the league is expected to do about that.

A Flyers player this week got sliced on his stomach by an opponent's skate this week, received treatment, and stayed in the game.

Spot on. The talent on each team is just unreal. The really good players and teams are just that much better.

Back