• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NHL Thread

I think the Canes have two problems, and neither of them starts with Rod.

First, we need a franchise goalie. Harder said than done, I know. We've made the playoffs (and won at least 1 series) 6 straight years. That's quite an accomplishment, but there's no doubt that we're at a disadvantage in net most series, especially after the first round. It would be so cool to win a game 2-1 against a team like NYR where our goalie stands on his head and carries the team.

Second, we just have too many guys who are incapable of generating offense in the playoffs against good defenses. I'd like to bring Necas, Guentzel, and Jarvis back, but that's about it. Give me some younger players with lower contracts and a FA or two with legitimate offense.

Spot on

I'm not too worried about the goaltending. Look at the list of goalies that have won cups in the last 15 years -- it isn't that impressive. And dudes like Shesterkin don't exactly grow on trees, so I'm not sure how we would go about getting one anyway

I'm not too worried about the goaltending. Look at the list of goalies that have won cups in the last 15 years -- it isn't that impressive. And dudes like Shesterkin don't exactly grow on trees, so I'm not sure how we would go about getting one anyway
I'm just saying I think it's one of the things holding us back.

Probably the 2nd most important position in all of sports, and we've been kicking the can throwing in retreads. Agreed that it's not a problem they can quickly fix.

I wouldn't call Freddie a retread, dude's won games at about the fastest rate of any goalie in history (yes, some caveats that ties no longer exist). Pyotr is a little more up-and-down but certainly good enough.

This isn't the '90s, teams win cups with goalies that ultimately are just dudes who don't amount to much. The offense is what's holding us back, not our play in net

I wouldn't call Freddie a retread, dude's won games at about the fastest rate of any goalie in history (yes, some caveats that ties no longer exist). Pyotr is a little more up-and-down but certainly good enough.

This isn't the '90s, teams win cups with goalies that ultimately are just dudes who don't amount to much. The offense is what's holding us back, not our play in net

Nah. We've allowed:

1 goal
3 goals
2 goals
3 goals
3 goals
4 goals
4 goals
3 goals

That's 5 straight games where you are wanting the offense to score 4 or 5 just to win. 6 out of 8 games with three or more goals allowed. That is not a recipe for success in the playoffs.

Nah. We've allowed:

1 goal
3 goals
2 goals
3 goals
3 goals
4 goals
4 goals
3 goals

That's 5 straight games where you are wanting the offense to score 4 or 5 just to win. 6 out of 8 games with three or more goals allowed. That is not a recipe for success in the playoffs.
3 of those games were OT or 2OT FWIW.

And how many goals are really on the goalies? Expecting a lot when we have massive defensive breakdowns on the PK or screwups like Orlovs last night.

I’m all for trying to find an elite goalie, but I think the only way we’re going to pull that off is through drafting and developing. Goalies do not get drafted high so picking low isn’t a problem — it’s a crapshoot position.

I would’ve been cool with trying to sign Helleybuck when he was avail, but like many elite goalies he stayed put — and we saw how he and his team fared against elite offensive opposition as well

We really needed Andrei to be a superstar and he just isn’t. That was our one shot at picking really high.

The Rangers certainly didn’t get great value from their two top picks but made up for it in great acquisitions in Panarin and Zibanejad. And didn’t hurt Adam Fox was a primadonna and only wanted to play for them

Svech is only 24 and coming off a torn ACL. I still think he could be a superstar. Certainly has flashes.

PP and lack of elite goal scorers have been postseason issues for years now. Biggest difference this year seems to be defensive breakdowns. It's pretty weird when my uneducated eye thinks that Chatfield has been our most stout defender this series. Burns' age is really showing. I used to think Slavin was a top 2-3 defender in the NHL, but he's somehow seemingly taken a big step backwards. Orlov is overpaid for what he provides.

Back