• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NHL Thread

There were barely any images of the jersey in that....more of the players' faces than the jersey....also I think they said that this is the first Canes jersey to not feature any white in the jersey.

Hurricanes leaving it late tonight. Very late. Marty!
HOLY SHIT WHAT A GAME!!!

Aho a BEAST and Night Night Necas with another game winner!

I found the 1st/2nd Stars intriguing. They had Necas as 2nd and Aho as 1st.....Aho did score and then bring us to within 1, but Necas sent us to OT with 11 seconds left and then had the OT winner!

I'd put Necas #1, Aho #2....though I know it doesn't matter.

Really loving the Canes this season.....We've got almost three 20G/40PT scorers, and 4 skaters with 20+ assists....we're looking good on offense and I'm SO glad that Necas looks like he's back to his old self.

BUT I'm very concerned with Special Teams....we NEED a better PP...I can't believe that Burns is a downgrade from D'Angelo....but something's off.

Also, SOOOO many of our goals given up are during line changes....what is it that we are doing that makes us so vulnerable during those transitions? We need to focus more on that.

Other than that, I'm ready for a Bruins/Canes game Sunday, and then the 7-Game series in the Eastern Conference Finals! Let's hope Freddy's injury isn't too bad (I haven't heard, maybe they said during broadcasts, but usually I have games on mute).

Canes seemed like they were looking ahead to the Boston game for most of the night, very flat performance thru two periods. That was such a depressing game to be at for 58 minutes, but the last 2 minutes of regulation and OT made up for it! Was starting to think I was a jinx (last game I attended was the 68-shot loss to Nashville earlier this month).

Call it the San Jose special:

From Monday's DBG weekend recap:

That’s the second time in three years that the Sharks have scored an empty-netter at the end of regulation to take a two-goal lead, then seen their opponents come back to win. If that feels rare, it is — those are the only two times it’s ever happened in NHL history.

Last edited:
Canes down 1-4 at the end of the 2nd period but score 3 third period goals and win it in OT. Second time in three games with a multi-goal third period comeback and OT win.

5-1 Win tonight over Buffalo to extend the Win Streak to 7 games and Point Streak to 10 games (3rd Double Digit point streak this season).

Tonight’s first period was one of the best I’ve seen….our passes were sharp, precise, fitting thru the tiniest of gaps….they were quick and exactly where they needed to be to setup 3 back door or open net goals.

Then in the 2nd period it seemed like that all went away. Buffalo’s sticks just seemed to find every one of our passes and we ended up having to reset a lot of the time. We relied, like usual, on our tough, tough defense. I didn’t feel like we had the same energy we did in the 1st Period, but that may just be because we were up 3-0 in the 2nd game of a back-to-back (7-0-1 on the year in B2B’s btw).

I’ll admit I was drifting in and out of sleep in my recliner during the second half of the game, but it felt good to hear what I heard every time I’d snap out of my slumber.

So about the trade deadline coming up…what targets do you think we’ll be going after? Bo Horvat would have been perfect, but supposedly his “price was too high” and the Islanders of all teams swooped in and grabbed him.

The broadcast mentioned we needed to figure out our 3rd Paid Defense, but I feel like we are OK enough on D that we can focus on a 2nd line Center. Plus I don’t think we have or want to give up what we’d need to to get one of the best available Defenders. Maybe package Kotkaniemi and our 2nd Rd pick for some offense to replace Paciorretty (who was a signing for some offense himself)?

Read an article that had a “bold prediction” that we’d trade for Tarasenko, but idk how that would work.

Also read Toews from Chicago, but that’ll be difficult. Though if we figured out the deal, I’m sure he’d waive his no trade clause.

Do we think if we make a big move that we’ll give up players, picks, or prospects? I’d hope it would be a combination of the last two because I don’t want to break up this team.

Supposedly we had talks with a team about a significant player but were unwilling to give up Necas for them, which I really, really, really, really hope we don’t split up Aho/Svechy/Jarvis/Necas/Turbo….I’d like to see if KK turns out to be worthy of the hullabaloo. And I think this team has had the 3rd line of Martinook/Staal/Fast as its backbone for 2 straight seasons now, but it’s just killing it recently….we can’t break that up.

Anyway, I know I’m basically talking to myself here, but I feel really good about our chances this year. Hopefully any deadline moves will just push us past that finish line.

I still hope to get to a game this season. IDK when though. I was almost in Raleigh right before Xmas and could have attended that game, but timing didn’t work out.

As a final side note, I think I asked this before, but where should I look for Authentic Jerseys online? I feel like there’s 5 different kinds and some say authentic, but aren’t really authentic and are like “authentic replica” or something. Any help would be appreciated!

Sportsk.com has the blank authentic Hurricanes adidas jerseys for probably the best price. I have ordered from them and they are legit. They aren't as nice as the ones the players wear on the ice but are the best you will find retail. The fanatics brand ones kind of suck. You would have to send them off to get player name and number stitched on though which is probably around $80-90 and most places are backed up 2-3 months on fulfilling those orders for customization right now.

I am so disappointed in the way the Sabres played last night. There was Zero aggression. Sloppy careless passes. No teamwork. The Sabres looked like the road team coming off a hard fought OT game the night before and then traveling, not the other way around.

If the Canes are going to make a trade, I agree with Oblong that I'm not so sure it needs to be on the defensive end. We've been pretty solid even without Slavin and our defensemen are scoring at a pretty high rate it seems. If anything, I'd look for a guy to take Pac's role. Meaning, someone with a big shot who can help an often anemic power play.

I am wholly against trading KK as part of any deal, especially a short term one. He's got one of the most favorable contracts in the franchise and while I'm not sold on him being a star, he'll be a solid 2/3 line guy for years to come.

We have some serious prospects that I'd be willing to let go for a guy like Meier though.

Timo Meier is who I want for the Canes. He fits long term assuming we can work out an extension in the 8-9 mil range. I was pretty sure we were going to have to give up Jarvis, a 1st, and a b/c tier prospect and I was fine with that. However, after seeing the package the Canucks took for Horvat I am hopeful we can keep Jarvis.

The TNT crew was talking up Larkin, I could be sold on that assuming a reasonable extension.

If we trade Jarvis, I'd rather do it next year when he's a pending free agent. He's an incredible value next season that we need to keep.

The Canes need a 2nd line center. KK and/or Stazney won't cut it in the playoffs. The Canes don't do rentals for major assets (1st rd picks, top prospects). They were talking about Boone Jenner going to the Bruins or Devils, but he would be perfect for us. He has 4 years on his current contract at 3.75m. He throws his weight around too. Something the Canes desperately need in the playoffs.

The Canes need a 2nd line center. KK and/or Stazney won't cut it in the playoffs. The Canes don't do rentals for major assets (1st rd picks, top prospects). They were talking about Boone Jenner going to the Bruins or Devils, but he would be perfect for us. He has 4 years on his current contract at 3.75m. He throws his weight around too. Something the Canes desperately need in the playoffs.
I haven't seen Boone Jenner mentioned in trade rumors. He would be extremely difficult to pry from Columbus. He's the captain and he's currently playing first line center. The Blue Jackets are extremely thin down the middle. The next best option for them at first line center is a 20 year old rookie or a wildly inconsistent Jack Roslovic. The Canes would likely need to give up a first round pick and multiple top prospects to get him given the state of the rebuild in Columbus. That being said, Jenner would be a great addition to the Canes. He's probably better on the wing because of his forecheck ability. If he is playing center, he's probably better off on the second or third line. He's not an especially skilled skater, but he is relentless and he's great in the faceoff dot. If Jenner has to leave Columbus, Carolina would be fine with me. He's probably exactly what the Canes could use for a playoff run. And he's under contract for a very reasonable price for multiple years. If I were the Canes, my only reservation would be that he's had some significant back issues the past couple years, but that it probably mitigated in Carolina sinec he won't be counted on to play 20 plus minutes on the top line every night.

Boone Jenner = KK, but 7 years older. I think KK may be better already and has way bigger upside. Jenner would be an extremely disappointing addition. Giving up anything of value for him, would be worse. We need someone who puts pucks in the back of the net during 5v5 and the PP.

Rod was on the Spittin' Chiclets (great interview) pod the other day and basically guaranteed a deadline trade. We have 10 mill in cap, so I hope we make a splash. In the interview Rod talked about how he was desperate to be a head coach during his years an an assistant in Carolina and asked to/tried to get the Charlotte job, the Michigan State job, another college, and other nhl teams. Got rejected for all of them. He said no one wanted him until Dundon took over, met him, and gave him the job.

Back