• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NHL Thread

Canes/Caps in Carter-Finley tonight! Glad to be able to watch on broadcast TV.

Kotkaniemi puts Carolina up 1-0 before 3 minutes.

A little surprised by how State-heavy the broadcast has been, but whatevs -- prolly projecting a bit but nice for them to have some attention for once

That was a nice showcase for Carolina.

It's a little too late for Washington to tank for Bedard, but a trade deadline fire-sale seems prudent. The Capitals window is slamming shut- they're totally lifeless when their elderly goal-scorer is out of the lineup, and they're decidedly mediocre otherwise. It's time to rebuild, not retool.

What assets do the Caps have that they can play with? No cap space to weaponize, they have a bunch of 35 year old guys under contract for another 2 or 3 years. I mean, they could probably get some assets from a team like the Kings for Kuemper. Wilson has value, I suppose?

The game last night was fantastic, by the way. Looked great in person, the marching band was a great touch even if the whole thing was a bit over the top on the NCSU front. Great party!

Had a great time at the game. Obviously not an ideal viewing situation, but watching a hockey game with 60k rowdy fans was unique and a top 10 event for me. I was surprised by how State heavy it was, with their band repeatedly playing the fight song, etc. but still an awesome showing for the city and fanbase.

Was reading an article the other day that the Canes usually play their hand very close to the vest and watch as dust settles. So I won't get worried until March 3rd.

Meh...Puljujarvi is not a terrible pickup. He has potential...he was the #4 pick a few years ago for a reason...I definitely think he's been developed poorly in Edmonton and I think our guys did their research and the analytics say he'll fit our system pretty well.

Hoping it's gonna be a good buy low kinda deal.

Also picked up Gostisbehere for a 3rd Rd pick....probably gonna fit in bottom 6 DEF position....pair him with Chatfield I guess?

That gives us another defender that has scored 40+ points a season and is capable of running a Power Play unit for us. He'll be an UFA this Summer.

I've seen multiple sources say that we're not done, and have another move before the deadline, probably a 2nd line Center as has been said, but probably not a superstar.

TNT guys said his idea would be Mikael Backlund from Calgary. Would be another 30+ year old mid-line center capable of scoring 40 points a season.

If we end up with a 2nd line center, how will we lineup then?

Svech - Fishy - Jarvis
Tuevo - ______ - Necas
Martinook - Staal - Fast
Noesen - KK - Stepan

?...where would Stastny and Puljujarvi fit in? And if Paciorretty comes back? And Ondrej Kase is still there....and we need to get Drury going.

We have too many players...but then again, I have no idea who is leaving or a free agent or what happens in the offseason.

If someone more knowledgeable of the offseason/FA stuff could give me an idea of who will be around next season, that would be cool.

Also, Svech DEFINITELY just scored a 2nd for us there and the ref waived it off way too soon as the Vegas goalie never had it controled.

Just checked out the FA situation and it looks like the following are Free Agents this year:

F - Fast (UFA) - Age 31
F - Kase (UFA) - Age 27
F - Staal (UFA) - Age 34
F - Stastny (UFA) - Age 37
F - Pacioretty (UFA) - Age 34
F - Puljujarvi (RFA) - Age 24
D - Gostisbehere (UFA) - Age 29
D - Coghlan (RFA) - Age 25
D - Gardiner (UFA)[Is he still alive?] - Age 32
G - Freddy (UFA) - Age 33
G - Raanta (UFA) - Age 33

Who stays and who goes? I seriously don't understand contract stuff, never have and never will, so you guys can help with that...

BUT

I think we hafta keep Staal, Puljujarvi, (I would hope Fast too) and 1 of the goalies...hopefully Pacioretty too, but he may be done.

I think everyone else is probably expendable....especially since they're all ancient!

Freddy and Raanta are the same age, so we'll probably keep one and then bring up Kochetkov for #2

FUCK ME.....

The Rangers are gonna knock us out of the playoffs again this year.

I had no idea they got Kane.

Kreider - Zibanejad - Kane
Panarin - Trocheck - Tarasenko

The fuck are we supposed to do there? Pair 4 of them with Fox in a Power Play and they are unbelievable. They already were with Kreider, Tarasenko, Panarin, Zibanejad as PP1....but now they can rotate in and out with one of the best players in the league and have the spare in the PP2.

Goddamn I hate the Rangers.

Canes haven’t given up anything of note in these trades so I definitely think another move is possible. I think we will need to figure a way out to play with the cap if they want to make a significant addition now that we’ve already added two players - one at $4m and another at $3m.

Back