• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Niagara Falls, Finger Lakes, Gettysburg

WakeBDer

Broderick Hicks
Reaction score
I'm traveling with my Mom and my Aunt for a nice long weekend this weekend. Our rough agenda:

Saturday: Drive from Harrisonburg, VA to Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON
Sunday: Niagara falls and surrounding area
Monday: Finger Lakes & Amish Country to Gettysburg
Tuesday: Gettysburg then back to Harrisonburg.

We're going to be doing some Wineries in Niagara-on-the-Lake and going to see My Fair Lady as part of the Shaw Festival up there. Other than that our agenda is fairly open. We love to eat (#we'refatties) so I'd love some restaurant and sight seeing recommendations.
Thanks all!

Gettysburg is awesome, I'm sure you've been there before though. If not you've gotta hit up the War sites.

However much time you plan to allocate to Gettysburg, add a few more hours to it. That place has so much history, and so much to see. Its incredible. We were there for a couple days, and I still didnt see everything I wanted to.

Gettysburg is awesome, I'm sure you've been there before though. If not you've gotta hit up the War sites.

However much time you plan to allocate to Gettysburg, add a few more hours to it. That place has so much history, and so much to see. Its incredible. We were there for a couple days, and I still didnt see everything I wanted to.

This will be our second time there in a five year period but there is still plenty to see as you mentioned.

On the drive from NOTL to the Finger Lakes, go through Rochester and hit up Nick Tahou's hots for a garbage plate.

Lots of good wineries and sightseeing in the Finger Lakes area as well. My wife and I were married on Seneca Lake near Geneva. My only advice is to do fewer things and spend more time enjoying them ... don't rush through a million activities just to say you did them.

I'm traveling with my Mom and my Aunt for a nice long weekend this weekend. Our rough agenda:

Saturday: Drive from Harrisonburg, VA to Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON
Sunday: Niagara falls and surrounding area
Monday: Finger Lakes & Amish Country to Gettysburg
Tuesday: Gettysburg then back to Harrisonburg.

We're going to be doing some Wineries in Niagara-on-the-Lake and going to see My Fair Lady as part of the Shaw Festival up there. Other than that our agenda is fairly open. We love to eat (#we'refatties) so I'd love some restaurant and sight seeing recommendations.
Thanks all!

I apologize if I'm wrong but I so hope you're a female.

If you haven't done it before, and really even if you have, call the Visitors' Center and get a private guide for Gettysburg. This site has all the details you'll need, but a basic tour lasts 2 hours and costs $50, and the guide will drive you around in your own car. The standard tour will give you a gloss of the first day's fighting, then hit a few points on the CS line on days 2 and 3 before wrapping around through the Peach Orchard/Devil's Den to Little Round Top and then the clump of trees, but they can be customized. We took it around to Culp's and Cemetery Hill last time, which is a little off the beaten path. James Hueting was my favorite guide, but we had Ted Gajewski last time, and he was also very good and brought more showmanship to it.

The wax museum is pretty good, the Jennie Wade house is kind of a waste of time. The museum/panorama are cool, but fairly expensive (~$12 IIRC). Can't recall visiting anything else there, except for one of the dozens of tourist traps in town. The Pub is probably the best place to eat.

If you have any other questions, I'll do my best to answer them.

SBTtoy and I went on the Canandaigua Lake Wine Trail three weekends ago. It was kind of cool but it took all day to drive around the lake, stopping at about seven wineries, and going through the whole tasting ordeal at each of them, all during their hours of operation (10-5, give or take). It sounds like you're doing the wineries on NOTL though, so you might want to spend more time sightseeing rather than wining it up.

Not really sure what to do in the Finger Lakes other than that, though, as I spent most of my time on Lake Ontario. WakeGolfer47's family has a lakehouse on Canandaigua Lake and might could tell you, but I'm not sure he made it over to the new boards.

Watkins Glen State Park is really cool and a nice hike. Its on the south end of Seneca Lake.

We spend a lot of time there visiting family but there's not a whole lot to do not on the lake.

I spent last Independence Day on Canandaigua and New Years Eve on Seneca Lake.

There is a brewery called the naked dove I think near Seneca lake. It's pretty good.

If you haven't done it before, and really even if you have, call the Visitors' Center and get a private guide for Gettysburg. This site has all the details you'll need, but a basic tour lasts 2 hours and costs $50, and the guide will drive you around in your own car. The standard tour will give you a gloss of the first day's fighting, then hit a few points on the CS line on days 2 and 3 before wrapping around through the Peach Orchard/Devil's Den to Little Round Top and then the clump of trees, but they can be customized. We took it around to Culp's and Cemetery Hill last time, which is a little off the beaten path. James Hueting was my favorite guide, but we had Ted Gajewski last time, and he was also very good and brought more showmanship to it.

The wax museum is pretty good, the Jennie Wade house is kind of a waste of time. The museum/panorama are cool, but fairly expensive (~$12 IIRC). Can't recall visiting anything else there, except for one of the dozens of tourist traps in town. The Pub is probably the best place to eat.

If you have any other questions, I'll do my best to answer them.

OGB, that is a truly cool option. Do you think the guides could/would customize their spiel for a family option with an elementary-school kid? He's interested in history so I think he would be engaged in the tour.

OGB, that is a truly cool option. Do you think the guides could/would customize their spiel for a family option with an elementary-school kid? He's interested in history so I think he would be engaged in the tour.

I'm certain they would; I've seen a couple of kids out with them before. I'd just make sure to mention it when you call to make the reservation.

BDer could be the American equivalent of Rick Steves. Dude travels so much in this country.

Thanks for all the advice everyone! I'm gonna ask some follow-up questions tomorrow morning when I get into work.

Back