• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Niagara Falls, Finger Lakes, Gettysburg

Konzelmann Estate Winery.

Go to Port Dalhousie in St Catharine's and get some Poutine fries and a Ricard's White at Kilt & Clover.

Be sure to take the Peace Bridge back to the states so you can stop at La Nova @ West Ferry. Drive by Canisius High School, the best high school in the world, and where William McKinley died. Then go to Eddie Brady's, drink with my classmates, and end up at Jim's SteakOut.

DO NOT DO ANYTHING IN NIAGARA FALLS. The US side is shit and the Canadian side is overcommercialized. I wouldn't recommend anything except the Butterfly Conservatory and maaaaaybe Marine Land. The Butterflies are really close to Niagara-on-the-Lake, so I'd try to squeeze them in on Saturday.

What you REALLY need is a day in Erie County, not Niagara Falls.

First: The aforementioned La Nova Pizza. Second: Mighty Taco. Third: Frey's Tasty Treat, the best ice cream stand in the world (full disclosure, I am a 9 year veteran). From the Darwin Martin house to our Olmstead park system, Buffalo is the most classic, classy, and awesome city in the world. I can't say enough about it. Stroll around the Elmwood Village and get a coffee or something at Cafe Aroma. They'll probably be screening the Women's World Cup final on Sunday. It'll be perfect. I'll scope out the Buffalo News to see if that's still the spot (it was in 06) or maybe even put in a call on your behalf. I'm serious, you CANNOT go to the Falls. You NEED to go to Buffalo. Buffalo is where it's at.

Also, go to Pearl St. And maybe see if the West Side Rowing Club is doing tours of the Fontana Boat House (another Frank Lloyd Wright). Man. Buffalo is just the best. You NEEEEEEEEED to go there and not the Falls.

Unfortunately, Flying Bison Brewery is only open for tours Thursday-Saturday. But maybe you can smash a sixer at the hotel or something.

Amherst Pizza and Ale house is good food and beer. Lots of TVs too. That's another option for the WC final.

http://www.thestar.com/travel/north...--how-i-overcame-my-prejudice-against-buffalo

Seriously. Do NOT go to the Falls. If you don't go to the Nickel City, you are selling yourself, your mom, and our country short. I've tried to highlight other things than that article, but everything the writer did is really solid as well. My brother can't say enough good things about the Blue Monk.

You're fucking up big time if you don't spend Sunday in Buffalo.

Hmm. Saturday is the St. Catharine's invitational regatta. Port Dalhousie might be a madhouse.

Even more reason to go?

Watkins Glen State Park is really cool and a nice hike. Its on the south end of Seneca Lake.

We spend a lot of time there visiting family but there's not a whole lot to do not on the lake.

Is the hike strenuous? My aunt is a hiker and I'll be fine, but my Mom. . . well. . . not so much.

My wife and I took a trip to NOTL last summer and spent a long weekend there. Visited a lot of wineries; we actually did one of the guided tours but we essentially told the guy to just drive to as many wineries as he could in the four hours he was driving us for. Highlight of the trip was probably dinner at Peller Estates - beautiful winery but probably the most expensive one in the whole area. The main street of the little town is great to walk around in as well.

If you haven't done it before, and really even if you have, call the Visitors' Center and get a private guide for Gettysburg. This site has all the details you'll need, but a basic tour lasts 2 hours and costs $50, and the guide will drive you around in your own car. The standard tour will give you a gloss of the first day's fighting, then hit a few points on the CS line on days 2 and 3 before wrapping around through the Peach Orchard/Devil's Den to Little Round Top and then the clump of trees, but they can be customized. We took it around to Culp's and Cemetery Hill last time, which is a little off the beaten path. James Hueting was my favorite guide, but we had Ted Gajewski last time, and he was also very good and brought more showmanship to it.

The wax museum is pretty good, the Jennie Wade house is kind of a waste of time. The museum/panorama are cool, but fairly expensive (~$12 IIRC). Can't recall visiting anything else there, except for one of the dozens of tourist traps in town. The Pub is probably the best place to eat.

If you have any other questions, I'll do my best to answer them.

I grew up about an hour down RT 30 from Gettysburg. I spent a lot of time there in my formative years.

Is the hike strenuous? My aunt is a hiker and I'll be fine, but my Mom. . . well. . . not so much.

Not really. You can make it fairly easy and there are a lot of places to crash. Its just a very cool place.

As mentioned, Watkins Glen is a great diversion and I would say the Glen is a must see. Casual walk where you can be done in either 30 minutes or 3 hours depending on what you prefer.

Take a half day to visit Cornell Univ. campus and the gorges.waterfalls in town.

north of Lake Cayuga we cruised through the Montezuma winery and there is also a Nature Reserve .

Forgot about Taghannock Falls S.P. and the lodge there is a super place to enjoy a wonderful meal. It is located on the west side of lake Cayuga; 15-20 minutes from Ithaca.

....I have some roots in the area, fwiw.

headed to Niagara Falls for a night in a couple weeks, any recommendations on a place to stay? We are doing Sat night in Niagara, and then have to head to Rochester on Sunday for a wedding (Columbus Day Weekend)

Back