• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NIT 2024: Next in a Long Line of Basketball Disappointments

From the Wake athletics website concerning tonight's game:
Wake Forest requests that all fans in attendance at the game adhere to all Athletics events rules and protocols. This includes all postgame procedures that allow for the competing student-athletes, coaches, and officials to exit the court safely.

So be forewarned: Sounds like all efforts to avoid a court rush will be will be employed and enforced.

It's hard to predict NIT games because of varying motivations/interest at play. On the one hand you'd imagine App will be fired up about being in the postseason and having a game at Wake when they feel like they should've won the game here last year. On the other, Wake has been very good at home (not you Georgia Tech go away) and is a top 30 team overall.

If Wake is at full strength and Hunter's aggressive, we should take care of business.

Saw on a graphic during the Georgia game last night that about 12 teams declined NIT invitations. So I kind of doubt that Georgia would have even made the NIT at 17-16.

Saw on a graphic during the Georgia game last night that about 12 teams declined NIT invitations. So I kind of doubt that Georgia would have even made the NIT at 17-16.
That would've been close. They did get the SEC auto bid after Ole Miss declined, but they were probably borderline as one of the last bids. The top 8 SEC teams all got an NCAA bid and then Ole Miss, LSU, Georgia were the next three in line.

Xavier's metrics and NET were much better than Georgia. I think they would've gotten in regardless.

it used to be that you needed a .500 record or better to "qualify" for the NIT, and Xavier were the only sub-.500 team in the field, so I would imagine they weren't a first choice of the committee

it used to be that you needed a .500 record or better to "qualify" for the NIT, and they were the only sub-.500 team in the field, so I would imagine they weren't a first choice of the committee
Yeah probably not a top choice overall but Xavier didn't even get in on an auto spot from the Big East (Villanova and Providence did) and there were only like four teams better than Xavier in the NET that opted out overall

Yeah probably not a top choice overall but Xavier didn't even get in on an auto spot from the Big East (Villanova and Providence did) and there were only like four teams better than Xavier in the NET that opted out overall

did they go right down the NET ratings for every single spot after the auto-bids?

so the NET is that important as the source of truth for the backup tournament?

but UVA got in the big boy tournament over Pitt and WF despite being 14 and 11 spots, respectively, behind those teams?

that's.......a system!

UVA got in because Tony Bennett is Tony Bennett, plain and simple. Wasn't earned.

Prepping for an App State court-storming isn't the best look for our program...
Think it's just an in-general thing. During the GT game they had a new slide on the Jumbotron reminding people not to be on the court.

Wait I was told the media would mercilessly crucify any program other than unc who declined.

Back