• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NIT 2024: Next in a Long Line of Basketball Disappointments

In this day and age WF doesn't need a 14K seat stadium. We could continue to make it work but I think around 9-10K is about right for us.
I'll answer your comment the same way I did on another thread. Look at our home court record and the sell out for the Duke game. As i recall, we had no problems filling the Joel in the late 90's and the early 2000's. Get a winning program and they will come. Would rather have a few more seats than we need rather than not enough.

In this day and age, Wake doesn’t need to spend hundreds of millions of dollars on a new basketball arena.
Don’t they just have to reduce the number of seats? That doesn’t require “hundreds of millions of dollars”. No need to build a new building. Just replace the current 14,000ish seats with 10000ish bigger seats. Or really get crazy and eliminate some parts of sections in the upper bowl and build some cools premium spaces - suites, better Moricle space, student hangout, an Allegacy Club space in the bowl, other type of concessions/restaurant/bar space in the bowl where you can watch the games (if that’s allowed by NC ABC rules), etc. Those types of offerings would eat up a good chunk of the current space around the upper bowl and reduce seats. These changes would still have a pretty eye-popping price tag but much much lower than building a new building.

Encapsulating moment to me was near the end of the game when the App State idiot coach freaked the fuck out on the Boopie out-of-bounds dribble in the backcourt - replay shows their defender clearly putting both hands on Boopie and pushing him, with a ref right on top of it who immediately called the 2 hands on the offensive player which is a clear and obvious call. Not only that, but coming at a time when they were playing overly aggressive and didn't mind fouling.

Just such a classic case of someone looking for any opportunity to be a victim. Very Filipowski-esque. Maybe he should try for an assistant coaching position under Scheyer. He's got the bitching and moaning part down.

I love when teams are actively trying to foul at the end of games and players/coaches lose their mind when the foul gets called. It’s so stupid.

Amazing that the same idiots are rehashing the Joel arguments over and over again in a season where we were 18-1 at home. In the current landscape of college athletics with NIL, transfer free-for-all, the impending destruction of the ACC, etc hard to argue it’s even in the top 10 issues for WF basketball. But yet the same people keep screaming into the void demanding that we acknowledge how right they are.

Happy that the guys came out motivated to win. I think that’s a credit to their character and Forbes. Still think about the 2006 team that made a little surprise run in the ACCT, got folks a little inspired at their feistiness, then was a total no-show in the first round of the NIT against Minnesota. Glad we haven’t quit.

Anytime we felt like doing it. You pick the date. 20, 30, 40 years ago? We didn’t.
40 years ago, Wake played in an old 8,200 seat arena. It was so bad that they moved the ACC games to Greensboro for a few years. Then 35 years ago Wake got a new arena when LJVM opened and we were finally able to play home games at home. 30 years ago, Wake had Rodney Rogers, Randolph Childress and Tim Duncan and the Joel was packed. 20 years ago, Wake had CP3, Justin Gray and reached #1 for the first time in school history and the Joel was home to tie-dye nation.

So when during the last 20, 30, or 40 years would have been the time to build a new arena?

I would be okay keeping it the size it is now, but with improvements in TV coverage, fewer people attending in-person, the fact that we're no longer eligible to host NCAA games even at close to 15K seats, and the fact that there's a better than average chance we're headed toward the equivalent of G5 status in all sports, a smaller arena makes sense.

40 years ago, Wake played in an old 8,200 seat arena. It was so bad that they moved the ACC games to Greensboro for a few years. Then 35 years ago Wake got a new arena when LJVM opened and we were finally able to play home games at home. 30 years ago, Wake had Rodney Rogers, Randolph Childress and Tim Duncan and the Joel was packed. 20 years ago, Wake had CP3, Justin Gray and reached #1 for the first time in school history and the Joel was home to tie-dye nation.

So when during the last 20, 30, or 40 years would have been the time to build a new arena?
Any of those times.

People don’t really care because it’s a dumb fucking argument that has been rehashed 100s of times almost exclusively on threads that don’t warrant it by a sad sack of shit that always derails threads or now his proxy adjacent, that’s why there is an appearance of people caring.

Back