• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NIT hurdle.

We've had a lot of tough losses in my time as a Wake fan, but the Tech loss last weekend ranks right up there.

Consider it a very small percentage of the payback owed for the Harvey Hale game (aka - the one GT game I still can't believe happened).

Oh, I'm incredibly fed up with GT hoops and our ridiculous coaching hire. But WFU fans looking down on anyone in the ACC or acting like any game was a "should win" is hilarious, and I love tweaking you all over it.

Our coaching hire was worse than yours. So na na na na na.

Our coaching hire was worse than yours. So na na na na na.

See - I was thinking that Bz was so bad you could get rid of him after 3 years, while Gregory was going to be just mediocre enough we'd be stuck with him for 5 or so ...

BUT! It turns out your coach is just mediocre enough to save his job as well. So that jokes on both of us :(

See - I was thinking that Bz was so bad you could get rid of him after 3 years, while Gregory was going to be just mediocre enough we'd be stuck with him for 5 or so ...

BUT! It turns out your coach is just mediocre enough to save his job as well. So that jokes on both of us :(

This is so true.... its fucking sad.

How in the hell did we not only lose, but get our asses handed to us by fn Nebraska at home? Throw in the Ga Tech, Seton Hall and BC games, we would be sitting at 15-11 (7-7) if we didn't blow those last 3 when we lead late. Man I can't believe I'm saying what if for the NIT.

The answer everyone here wants is that buzz sucks.

Looking a little deeper, you find that in Nebraska's top 8 players(they have an 8 man rotation) five are juniors and seniors with only 2 freshman contributing. Contrast that with us have six freshman in a nine man rotation, playing the 6th game of their career. Might have something to do with it.

Regarding the NIT, 7 of the 32 spots in the 2012 field were reserved for regular season conference champs who didn't win their one bid conference tournaments. The previous year, 13 of the 32 NIT spots were taken by automatic qualifiers. So for the sake of discussion, let's say that on average 10 of the 32 spots are taken by these teams. Leaves only 22 "at large" bids to be given out by the NIT committee. Plus, the bids aren't given out based on who can sell the most tickets. They earned just like NCAA at large bids.

Everyone wants to make the big tourney for sure, but earning an NIT bid if you're in a multi-bid conference is much more difficult than before.

Last edited:
The answer everyone here wants is that buzz sucks.

Looking a little deeper, you find that in Nebraska's top 8 players(they have an 8 man rotation) five are juniors and seniors with only 2 freshman contributing. Contrast that with us have six freshman in a nine man rotation, playing the 6th game of their career. Might have something to do with it.

Regarding the NIT, 7 of the 32 spots in the 2012 field were reserved for regular season conference champs who didn't win their one bid conference tournaments. The previous year, 13 of the 32 NIT spots were taken by automatic qualifiers. So for the sake of discussion, let's say that on average 10 of the 32 spots are taken by these teams. Leaves only 22 "at large" bids to be given out by the NIT committee.

Everyone wants to make the big tourney for sure, but earning an NIT bid if you're in a multi-bid conference is much more difficult than before.

That would have been enough.

I love how everyone on this board constantly acts like you should have won a pair of games over a team that's 40 spots better than you in KP with no problem. It's hilariously cute.

He said "games" because he was also referring to Seton Hall and Boston College. He was not referring to both Georgia Tech games.

Most Wake fans feel like we should have split with GT this year, and I don't think that is a particularly homer-ish view.

DARE TO DREAM!!!!
Well it's certainly more realistic than thinking we're going to get Brad Stevens or even Shaka.

The only way we could improve our RPI drastically is to beat another top team...and the ACC only has one other so its basically impossible. But we lost games we would now have won while working 7 freshmen into a lineup of only 2 returning players. We aren't that far out of NIT contention if you look at the numbers, regardless of who is coaching next year. Many people seem to think it's impossible. I doubt we have 4 bad OOC losses next year dragging us down.

We could strive to be #69.....what a great goal to have!!!!
The goal you drummed into everyone while under Dino was for us to look like a more fundamentally sound team. We were a laughingstock because he couldn't coach bball and everyone with a brain could see it. ANYONE would have been better as coach I believe you claimed.

How's that working out for ya? Facepalm

If, by some chance, we get a CBI invite this year you know RW will accept it. Compare that with how he rebuffed the offer in Dino's first year.

He should accept it. If he's under the impression that this squad will eventually play in tournaments that matter, he should get them the experience.

jim_mora_zpsf4f0f0a9.jpg

He should accept it. If he's under the impression that this squad will eventually play in tournaments that matter, he should get them the experience.

Yes. As he should have in Dino's first year.

And we should play a tougher schedule too.

And we should play a tougher schedule too.

We have played the 48th hardest schedule in the country after yesterday. You could debate whether or not we should've played a tougher non-conference schedule than we did (262nd), but why would we have with the current make-up of our team?

How in the hell did we not only lose, but get our asses handed to us by fn Nebraska at home? Throw in the Ga Tech, Seton Hall and BC games, we would be sitting at 15-11 (7-7) if we didn't blow those last 3 when we lead late. Man I can't believe I'm saying what if for the NIT.

Buzz Out!

We have played the 48th hardest schedule in the country after yesterday. You could debate whether or not we should've played a tougher non-conference schedule than we did (262nd), but why would we have with the current make-up of our team?

I'm talking about next year. If we're challenging for a spot in the NCAA Tournament, we should play a tournament quality non-con schedule.

And with that the expectations of the fan base have been lowered.

Congratulations Ron Wellman. You win.

Back