• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

No black man coudl have eaened leading Harvard Law Review

How many accounts do you have on the Uof Chi hook up board>

You pretty much have to be a gunner to be president. W is the only president in my lifetime who wasn't a gunner. I'd argue Obama probably isn't half the gunner Clinton is.

Neither Bush nor Kerry were straight-A students. IIRC, Bush might have even had slightly better grades.

JFK wasn't exactly setting the curve at Harvard either. Now he has a whole school named after him.

You pretty much have to be a gunner to be president. W is the only president in my lifetime who wasn't a gunner. I'd argue Obama probably isn't half the gunner Clinton is.

All of those guys skipped out on military service except Bush, even if his was a little bit iffy. But Bush's daddy did his country proud.

How many accounts do you have on the Uof Chi hook up board>

Have a girlfriend, so I'm beyond that :thumbsup:

Last I heard, the undergrads that started that were trying to expand it to other universities as well.

Neither Bush nor Kerry were straight-A students. IIRC, Bush might have even had slightly better grades.

JFK wasn't exactly setting the curve at Harvard either. Now he has a whole school named after him.

Getting your head blown off while in office helps.

Speaking of things named after JFK, Idlewild is so much cooler of a name.

How about this: the man is President. Right now. He is in the White House. His grades, his ethnicity, where he was born...none of it matters. He's the man in charge. Like him or dislike him, I don't care, but respect the office.

He was exactly right yesterday when he said we "don't have time for this silliness." Talk about the budget. Talk about clean energy. Talk about anything that actually matters. If you disagree with his policies, point out why and tell us what you think is a better idea.

The rest of this is meaningless gossip that is reducing grown men to 14 year old girls, and frankly there are more important things to accomplish than to act like a bunch of whiny adolescents. It's way past time for a whole lot of people to put on their big boy pants and act like adults.

Deadbolt dead on.

"He was exactly right yesterday when he said we "don't have time for this silliness." Talk about the budget."

Of course if the President had an actual budget and not a fuzzy numers speech spent attacking Republicans, maybe we could do this.

Also, as a current student at UChicago, ill just say that new professor hires here are vetted pretty intensely. He would not have had a job here without being impressive on paper and in an interview.

#subtlebrag

Admittance to HRL is completely subjective based on writing. You bet it could be AA. Deep down you know it's true. Search your feelings. All of you know the truth about this.

Birtherdeac, I spit my coffee out reading this. You are one funny joker. Keep it up! :)

That means he got into Yale via AA. You seem to be erroneously discounting everything after that as being solely because he got into AA. It's condescending and borderline racist.

That is outstanding karma.

karl has a hard time seeing his own bias' displayed.

There is a certain "ownership" of issues when you deal with many lefties...as an apostate of that "religion" I think I can speak to the moral and intellectual superiority which pervades much of their thinking. This is particularly evident when you point out to them that they are practicing a subtle form of the same prejudices they commonly rail against. When you shed light on their own subtleties they respond with a sense of entitlement (of the issue) and cry "how dare you!".

are you really taking what rjkarl says and extrapolating it to all of the left leaning posters on this board?

Then why your own post on pat robertson...particularly since nobody out here quotes or talks about the guy. Are you trying to 'overlay' Robertson's views onto any of the 'right-leaning'?

Personally, I have thrown in the towel on either party. They both serve somebody (themselves maybe?) but it appears less and less 'the people'. I recognize how highly un-democratic it is of me to not choose one or the other...

Last edited:
Rj says, "BTW, you don't get onto Harvard Law Review due to AA. In fact that would be a hinderance."

This is after I posted the actual policy, which expressly states that spots are reserved and may be used promote affirmative action.

Per their own website:

Membership in the Harvard Law Review is limited to second- and third-year law students who are selected on the basis of their performance on an annual writing competition. Harvard Law School students who are interested in joining the Review must write the competition at the end of their 1L year, even if they plan to take time off during law school or are pursuing a joint degree and plan to spend a year at another Harvard graduate school.

Information for prospective transfer students.

In recent years, the number of students completing the competition has ranged from 215 to 265. 44 students are invited to join the Review each year.

Fourteen editors (two from each 1L section) are selected based on a combination of their first-year grades and their competition scores. Twenty editors are selected based solely on their competition scores. The remaining editors are selected on a discretionary basis. Some of these discretionary slots may be used to implement the Review's affirmative action policy.

Back