• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

No clear path for wake forest basketball

He'll finish his seventh season one game below .500.

if Manning loses tonight, then goes 21-12 next year he will finish his seventh season as a head coach one game below .500

If we were looking for a coach on the rise, Earl Grant at College of Charleston would be a good place to start. Built from 9 wins in his first season to 26 in his fourth. Recruited KJ McDaniels and Jaron Blossomgame to Clemson as an assistant there. Was a Gregg Marshall assistant at Wichita State.

If we were looking for a coach on the rise, Earl Grant at College of Charleston would be a good place to start. Built from 9 wins in his first season to 26 in his fourth. Recruited KJ McDaniels and Jaron Blossomgame to Clemson as an assistant there. Was a Gregg Marshall assistant at Wichita State.

This! I’m all in on Earl.

Is Miller's dad still a strong Wake supporter?

No way in hell will I ever support one of Roy's little boys as a Wake coach.

He had a chance to come to Wake but chose to go be a goat even though his dad was a huge Wake supporter.

He was one of the "cheaters" since he took one of the no show classes by taking a "Navy" class along with the other players on the team.

There is no way I could put up with little Wes praising ole Roy at every opportunity.

Last edited:
if Manning loses tonight, then goes 21-12 next year he will finish his seventh season as a head coach one game below .500

Ouch.... it is pretty sad to be below 500 with the amount of pre-New Year cupcakes we have on our schedule. Manning is recruiting better than buzz... but the results just haven't been there. Brutal spell for our flagship program.

Manning is 54–72
Buzz was 51–76
Dino was 61–31
Skip was 126–68
Odom was 240–132
Staak was 45-69
Tacy was 222-149

Is Miller's dad still a strong Wake supporter?

Disclaimer. Kenny Miller is a friend. It's wrong to question Kenny's or any other Wake graduate's support for their Alma Mater. I don't know what his current opinion of Wake's athletic program is, but there are plenty Right on this board who believe there are huge problems. Does not make them non supporters. In addition, his support for his son is a no brainer including the choice to attend UNC. Don't go down this road.

Ouch.... it is pretty sad to be below 500 with the amount of pre-New Year cupcakes we have on our schedule. Manning is recruiting better than buzz... but the results just haven't been there. Brutal spell for our flagship program.

Manning is 54–72
Buzz was 51–76
Dino was 61–31
Skip was 126–68
Odom was 240–132
Staak was 45-69
Tacy was 222-149

Ok, I'll preface this by saying I don't Dino was a great coach and or that the decision to fire him was wrong, but Dino had the highest winning percentage of the names on that list and was fired to bring in [Redacted]. I think that just illustrates Wellman's failures, fire a coach with the highest winning percentage and hire perhaps the worst hire ever by an ACC team. Although Bob Wade may still hold that honor.

Of course it figures after a long painful basketball season, I was thinking at least baseball is coming and we might be pretty good, now a few weeks in it seems baseball could be just as long and painful.

The last sentence in the WSJ article today with Chill is fairly ominous player wise.
http://www.journalnow.com/sports/wf...cle_bb143920-7dbb-5705-a400-2760cae7da19.html

“I think future talent-wise, we’re at a point where sooner rather than later,” Randolph Childress said. “You’re talking about a team potentially next year, with the seniors we have, with the freshmen we have coming in, an off-season of development … This team will have all of the intangibles next year if all the pieces are back, that potentially could be back.”

The last sentence in the WSJ article today with Chill is fairly ominous player wise.

He sounds like the newly elected mayor of Hedge City. Or perhaps the Executive Vice President of Lowering Expectations.

Disclaimer. Kenny Miller is a friend. It's wrong to question Kenny's or any other Wake graduate's support for their Alma Mater. I don't know what his current opinion of Wake's athletic program is, but there are plenty Right on this board who believe there are huge problems. Does not make them non supporters. In addition, his support for his son is a no brainer including the choice to attend UNC. Don't go down this road.

I think it was a fair and genuine question. Which you have answered, in a way

I think it was a fair and genuine question. Which you have answered, in a way

I disagree a little with Mack. Ken is fair game. He’s a public figure in the Wake hoops world and if you have a beef you can make it—especially once his son becomes our head coach. Of course, it’s impossible to have a beef with him. He continues to give giant sums to Wake even though we have now stiff armed two of his kids who went on to wear Randolph’s number at Carolina. He is a loyal Deacon dedicated to our basketball program. Of course he roots for his kids first—who wouldn’t. He didn’t ask them to attend Wake Forest. They both tried to attend Wake Forest. That was our decision not theirs. So criticizing him for “allowing” this and then continuing to fully support Wake hoops financially—well that’s just silly.

Yeah, I don't think he should be criticized. Just don't think mebane was or was intending to with his question

It’s still unfathomable to me that Wellman is our AD. He’s 70 years old. It’s one thing if he was just some sort of old senile figurehead and we had some sharp no. 2 guy behind the scenes. But this guy is still calling the shots. I wouldn’t let any 70 year old make business decisions on the future of a lemonade stand, let alone our basketball program. The time as long since passed for him to be shown the door. That’s the first step on the path towards success for Wake Forest Basketball.

I wouldn’t let any 70 year old make business decisions on the future of a lemonade stand, let alone our basketball program.

Coach K is 71. Warren Buffett is 87. There is not a magical age at which one can no longer function successfully.

Coach K is 71. Warren Buffett is 87. There is not a magical age at which one can no longer function successfully.

True. But generally speaking 70 year olds ought not be making long term decisions for businesses even if they were qualified to do so. (Wellman’s record speaks for itself in terms of basketball)

Back