• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

No Scrimmage Report: discussing 3rd asst coach; super ceral

That hasnt been addressed, but I would say no. Danny brought most of his own folks, but as we know that position was open. I wouldnt say he couldnt get anyone else, but I also wouldnt be surprised if he was encouraged to give Randolph a long look.

Did Battle want to stay as a 3rd assistant?

Let's use this opportunity to remind ourselves how ridiculous it was that Battle, as well-proven of a guard coach as there is (CP3, Teague, Ish, CJ, among others), was pulled off that unit in favor of a rookie 3rd chair assistant.

Pretty sure Battle and Chill coached the guards and [Redacted] and Rusty coached bigs.

So the most experienced teams are better, but I wouldn't call it extremely significant. Experience will buy you a couple of wins, which wouldn't be enough to vault the 2014 Wake team to the NCAA tourney.
Since you're using averages, that's true for an average team with an average coach. Average teams don't win just 2 conference road games in 4 years under an awful coach. We were WAY below average. The impact of experience and a dramatically improved coach is going to be huge on this team. I'm not really sure why so many people think otherwise, it's a bit surprising.

That hasnt been addressed, but I would say no. Danny brought most of his own folks, but as we know that position was open. I wouldnt say he couldnt get anyone else, but I also wouldnt be surprised if he was encouraged to give Randolph a long look.

I think Danny sees a lot of himself in Chill regarding coaching. It's great that Chill is willing to start at the bottom and work his way up/ His tenacity and personality should be big pluses for our program.

I think Danny sees a lot of himself in Chill regarding coaching. It's great that Chill is willing to start at the bottom and work his way up/ His tenacity and personality should be big pluses for our program.

Where has Chill started at the bottom? I don't recall him spending time as a team manager or DOBO like the other coaches. He retired from international play and was gifted an AD job to give him something to do until a spot opened up and he could be moved right in. I hope he improves and is an asset but as Wrangor has discussed, CMM regressed shooting the ball under his tutelage and his recruiting thus far got us Rondale. He needs to prove a lot in the next couple years.

Where has Chill started at the bottom? I don't recall him spending time as a team manager or DOBO like the other coaches. He retired from international play and was gifted an AD job to give him something to do until a spot opened up and he could be moved right in. I hope he improves and is an asset but as Wrangor has discussed, CMM regressed shooting the ball under his tutelage and his recruiting thus far got us Rondale. He needs to prove a lot in the next couple years.

Thought he was DOBO for a year, no?

Well not sure what he was, but this is from MTOW: Before the promotion, back when he was the director of basketball development, I sensed that Childress wasn't always sure what he should and should not say and when and when not he should say it.

My mistake. Has that position remained or is it typically just folded into the responsibilities of the DOBO?

My mistake. Has that position remained or is it typically just folded into the responsibilities of the DOBO?

I think your point still stands, though - He was basically gifted his position because of his history with Wake. 1 year as dir. of player development doesn't equate to Manning's team manager to DOBO to asst. coach over a decade journey.

That position has evaporated. Basically, the Director Player Development position was a holding spot for Chill without very specific duties. It became a one-year gig when Corbean was released and Chill slid into the third chair. The previous Asst DOBO and video coordinator responsibilities were rolled into one, with certain things falling by the wayside. It would be very generous to say that Chill started at the bottom and worked his way up.

It is impressive that Manning paid his dues at a top program at Kansas. Of course, he didn't want to move around while his kids were young like most assistants are forced to do. So we should have a HC that knows what it takes to run a top
program from the ground up. Like Clawson, if Manning has success at Wake then he will be very sought after by other programs. Not the worst problem for us to have to deal with down the road.

That position has evaporated. Basically, the Director Player Development position was a holding spot for Chill without very specific duties. It became a one-year gig when Corbean was SHIT ON BY WELLMAN AND [Redacted] and Chill slid into the third chair. The previous Asst DOBO and video coordinator responsibilities were rolled into one, with certain things falling by the wayside. It would be very generous to say that Chill started at the bottom and worked his way up.

FIFY

Do we think because of his history with Wake that Chill was deserving of his positions and rapid ascent? He was a little before my time but I'm obviously aware of his dominance at MSD. I like the idea of a Wake guy on staff, who better to sell the Wake experience? But I'm not sure I like him being given preferential treatment. If all things were roughly equal, take the Wake guy. I'm just not sure all other things are/were equal. Thoughts?

Back