• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

No Scrimmage Report: discussing 3rd asst coach; super ceral

Do we think because of his history with Wake that Chill was deserving of his positions and rapid ascent? He was a little before my time but I'm obviously aware of his dominance at MSD. I like the idea of a Wake guy on staff, who better to sell the Wake experience? But I'm not sure I like him being given preferential treatment. If all things were roughly equal, take the Wake guy. I'm just not sure all other things are/were equal. Thoughts?

Completely agree and Childress is my favorite Wake athlete of all time.

Don't see it as a big deal. There are 3 assistants for a reason, and if Manning felt like Childress could help bridge the gap with the current roster, develop into a solid coach, and help with the fans, then that alone is worth hiring him.

Hubert Davis was hired as an assistant at UNC this past year, and had no previous coaching or administrative experience.

Davis was hired by a much more experienced coach to a much more experienced staff.

Seems the biggest beneficiaries of moto's leaving are rountree, cav, and McClinton. A whole bunch of playing time at the forward positions just opened up.

I just don't get why you guys are still bitching about Chill. For some people, the glass is always half empty .

Heard that any chance we have with Giles is due to Chill. So that might be worth giving a guy the third asst position for that. Now get Branden in there at Wesleyan and seal the deal. Giles, Tatum, and Little Chill would be a decent class.

So you're saying Danny Manning would hire a 3rd assistant for the sole purpose of securing a commitment from an elite recruit?

Say it ain't so, Danny!

Heard that any chance we have with Giles is due to Chill. So that might be worth giving a guy the third asst position for that. Now get Branden in there at Wesleyan and seal the deal. Giles, Tatum, and Little Chill would be a decent class.
Haha, decent? Signing the #2 and #3 recruits in the country would be considered decent?

Tatum and Giles might be a package deal and little Chill is going to Giles' school next year.

Can Brandon invite Harry to dinner and stuff with our third assistant?

don't understand the Childress angst. Does anyone really think that the success or failure of a team rides on the last suit on the bench? If Manning thinks he's valuable so be it. It's Manning's job on the line.

don't understand the Childress angst. Does anyone really think that the success or failure of a team rides on the last suit on the bench? If Manning thinks he's valuable so be it. It's Manning's job on the line.

Totally agree.

The angst is that Manning was forced or very strongly encouraged to hire Childress instead of bringing in someone else as a #1.

The bench is very light on high major experience. It's basically Danny Manning, and that's it.

Have a feeling Danny's 1 and 2 were always going to be Ballard and Woodberry once he took the job. Don't get the hand wringing either. If the third man doesn't work out, Danny will move on. Good to have Chill around at first anyway just to get familiar with everything. It's up to him now to prove his worth.

Have a feeling Danny's 1 and 2 were always going to be Ballard and Woodberry once he took the job. Don't get the hand wringing either. If the third man doesn't work out, Danny will move on. Good to have Chill around at first anyway just to get familiar with everything. It's up to him now to prove his worth.

If that was Mannings plan, then no hand-wringing over Childress at all. Maybe a little hand-wringing over that plan though, but will trust that Manning knows what he's doing.

Childress didn't really pay his dues, but then the paying of the dues doesn't actually seem to be that related to being an assistant coach.

Does anyone really think Manning 'paid his dues' (whatever the fuck that means) at Kansas? He was more revered than Childress at Wake - I don't think he spent two years making game films and washing jock straps.

Does anyone really think Manning 'paid his dues' (whatever the fuck that means) at Kansas? He was more revered than Childress at Wake - I don't think he spent two years making game films and washing jock straps.

He had to spend 4 years there before they'd let him be an assistant coach.

He spent 4 years as director of student-athlete development and team manager and was only promoted when a top assistant coach took a head coaching job, after racking up four years of learning from Self. He earned the job by impressing a legendary coach. Meanwhile, Wellman simply fired an experienced coach and inserted the inexperienced Childress.

Back