• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non=partisan report - "Indisputable" that US tortured under W

RJKarl

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/apr/16/us-torture-prisoners-indisputable-report

"An independent examination of the US rendition programme after 9/11 has concluded that it is "indisputable" that America tortured prisoners, and that the country's highest officials were responsible.

A 580-page report published on Tuesday by the Constitution Project, a non-partisan Washington-based thinktank, concludes that the programme was unjustified and counterproductive, damaging to the country's reputation, and has placed US military personnel at risk of mistreatment if they are themselves taken prisoner."

"The panel of authors was chaired by Asa Hutchinson, a former Republican congressman who served as an under-secretary at the department of homeland security during the George W Bush administration. Other members include Thomas Pickering, a former US ambassador to the United Nations, a retired lieutenant general from the US army, a former president of the American Bar Association, and a retired army brigadier who taught interrogation techniques.

In one of their most damning conclusions, the panel says: "In the course of the nation's many previous conflicts, there is little doubt that some US personnel committed brutal acts against captives, as have armies and governments throughout history. But there is no evidence there had ever before been the kind of considered and detailed discussions that occurred after 11 September, directly involving a president and his top advisers on the wisdom, propriety and legality of inflicting pain and torment on some detainees in our custody."

Last edited:
Isn't it pretty much understood that we tortured for information during the Bush administration?

I didn't realize it was under dispute that we tortured prisoners under W.

I think the question is whether or not torture worked in providing actionable intelligence.

Isn't it pretty much understood that we tortured for information during the Bush administration?

So committing war crimes is OK if we had good intentions?

We executed people for doing to our soldiers what we did on institutional basis.

We executed people for doing to our soldiers what we did on institutional basis.

We should have just executed them with drones.

I hope you're not implying that torture hasn't continued under the Obama administration.

Obama has ended rendition and the methods of torture W used. He ended "enhanced interrogation".

Obama has ended rendition and the methods of torture W used. He ended "enhanced interrogation".

In a way, you're right.

http://www.globalresearch.ca/torture-never-stopped-under-obama/17204

Yet another blatant form of torture that Obama refused to stop practicing is “extraordinary rendition,” or what critics call “outsourcing torture.” This is the practice of flying a prisoner to a country where torture is routinely practiced, so that the prisoner can be interrogated. As reported by The New York Times:

We should have just executed them with drones.

Obliquely agree. One wonders if RJ is being too hard on W. Arguably some drone- or sniper-strike 'victims' would have preferred W's softer methods.

Are you completely dense? Yes, that's a trick question. Wrangor said no such thing.

I thought it was well established we tortured and the same shit is definitely continuing today just more carefully. I mean in reality like most things in the US our torturing was outsourced, we fly you to some weird safe house in the middle of nowhere in a shitty country and we just observe as you are tortured not by us, just for us.

I thought it was well established we tortured and the same shit is definitely continuing today just more carefully. I mean in reality like most things in the US our torturing was outsourced, we fly you to some weird safe house in the middle of nowhere in a shitty country and we just observe as you are tortured not by us, just for us.

no. the torture was done only by republicans while other republicans jerked off in the corner while eating babies.

Back