• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Polictical Ukraine Thread (NOT the Non-Political Coronavirus Thread)

You know, it's hard to tell with all that's going on, and obviously the Russkies are being mega-dicks by shelling cities with impunity and making some gains by killing civilians, but I see video after video of their convoys just obliterated or abandoned, some cases of entire companies wiped out or with only one survivor. One video I watched last night I counted 30 trucks in a convoy destroyed. We may never get a real death toll for their side and I think Ukraine overestimates (they said 9000 a day or two ago), but it would appear that they have lost more than a few thousand. To put it into perspective, the US death toll for both Iraq and Afghanistan was a bit over 7000.

This is the video I'm referring to. It isn't graphic or anything. Just charred wreckage.

Coulda used this guy:

MK-AW825_upsadv_G_20090622174306.jpg

You know, it's hard to tell with all that's going on, and obviously the Russkies are being mega-dicks by shelling cities with impunity and making some gains by killing civilians, but I see video after video of their convoys just obliterated or abandoned, some cases of entire companies wiped out or with only one survivor. One video I watched last night I counted 30 trucks in a convoy destroyed. We may never get a real death toll for their side and I think Ukraine overestimates (they said 9000 a day or two ago), but it would appear that they have lost more than a few thousand. To put it into perspective, the US death toll for both Iraq and Afghanistan was a bit over 7000.

I mean, from a historical perspective, Russia has always taken the view that its soldiers dying is not a big deal.

Looks like this will be the start of a larger war. I see now that the Russian people have been fed a reality that makes the United States narrative impossible to digest. There will be a clash of mighty powers, and it will bring ruin.

Looks like this will be the start of a larger war. I see now that the Russian people have been fed a reality that makes the United States narrative impossible to digest. There will be a clash of mighty powers, and it will bring ruin.

Non-politically.

I do not share your pessimism. Perhaps if Ukraine had just rolled over, then maybe a larger plan would've been implemented. But Putin miscalculated in almost every respect-- from Ukrainian resistance to western backlash to now, perhaps, even Chinese trepidation. I think he's more concerned about feeling the heat internally than he is expanding the war. That may make him more prone to lash out, but I question at this point whether his generals and men in the field are ready to implement any rash orders from above.

I do not share your pessimism. Perhaps if Ukraine had just rolled over, then maybe a larger plan would've been implemented. But Putin miscalculated in almost every respect-- from Ukrainian resistance to western backlash to now, perhaps, even Chinese trepidation. I think he's more concerned about feeling the heat internally than he is expanding the war. That may make him more prone to lash out, but I question at this point whether his generals and men in the field are ready to implement any rash orders from above.

Why? They probably still think they’re fighting Ukrainian Nazis with the full backing of the Russian people.

Why? They probably still think they’re fighting Ukrainian Nazis with the full backing of the Russian people.

The officer ranks tend to be better informed and smarter in general, and those guys have seen their ranks dwindle noticeably since this entire thing started. Four general officers KIA is not small potatoes. And if reports are correct that 75% of his fighting force has been utilized for this, there aren't a whole lot left who are "in the dark" so to speak.

Back