• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

“I’ve ate her ass like 10 times” is just an amazing line. Her response definitely confirms his story.

Can Any of you MDs or epidemiology types interpret this paper out of South Korea for us? Looks like it is saying, among many other things, that kids are definitely spreaders of the virus.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/10/20-1315_article

I'm neither an MD or an epidemiologist, but here is a thread (and a thread within a thread) discussing the paper

There are two types, the rapid test and the deep test. One is a flu-like brain toucher, the other is just a little swirl in your nostril.

I just had the swirl done before my surgery. I was ready for the huge dive, but it didn't even go in an inch.

A feeling I'm sure your wife is incredibly used to

This board has taught me to only get paper reviews and interpretations form Dr. Knowell, 2&2, and natural holistic healing blogs.

I'm neither an MD or an epidemiologist, but here is a thread (and a thread within a thread) discussing the paper

That is a good thread. Bergstrom is really honest and thorough. (This is kind of valuable science twitter that I've mentioned a few times on the Tunnels.)

What the researchers don't do however, is take the information and the uncertainty therein and apply decision science tools to devise good policy options that take advantage of limited information, incorporate and address uncertainty and analyze the risk from a risk tolerance perspective. It is hard to figure out how much risk we can tolerate (and it differs from one person to another) but it is needed if we want to make decisions in the face of these uncertainties.

One of the patients from my caseload tested positive. I'm scheduled to get the deep brain swab tomorrow morning.

My toddler son got the gentle swab on Thursday at the pediatrician. They said potentially 7-10 days on that result. Then he got the brain swipe twice on Friday at the hospital...once at Forsyth and again when he got transferred to Brenner's because neither of the first two had come back yet. Turn around time on those were each about 3 hours (both negative). He gagged a bit, but was otherwise fine with it. 7-10 days turn around time is practically useless unless people are already quarantining.

My toddler son got the gentle swab on Thursday at the pediatrician. They said potentially 7-10 days on that result. Then he got the brain swipe twice on Friday at the hospital...once at Forsyth and again when he got transferred to Brenner's because neither of the first two had come back yet. Turn around time on those were each about 3 hours (both negative). He gagged a bit, but was otherwise fine with it. 7-10 days turn around time is practically useless unless people are already quarantining.

We have friends with a litle girl who got a test because she had a fever one day. She got the results back last night (negative) and tomorrow ends her 14 day quarantine. She was going to quarantine either way, but it affects people like us who were in contact with the little girl (very briefly) the day prior. Were we expected to quarantine our whole family as well just to be safe?

re-watching 24 at the moment. The whole sense of urgency of the Sentox gas killing up to 200,000 people doesn't hold up all that well today.

Being on the same side of an argument as drunk TheReff can’t be a good feeling

Seems like we are seeing longer and longer to get test results back, at least anecdotally. Several months ago I know the Abbott machine was offering instant test results and was being hyped pretty heavily by the Trump admin. What actual, tactical steps should we have taken to decrease that turnaround time? Is it just lab capacity? Inability to produce more of the Abbott machines? The testing reagent? Because if you have to wait 7-10 days to get test results it seems like they are pretty worthless. I know people were sounding alarms on this back in March/April- what did we not do that we should have? Again, specifically regarding testing and turnaround time.

EdcTLKvWkAAuv4R

Glad we rushed to open up!

Seems like we are seeing longer and longer to get test results back, at least anecdotally. Several months ago I know the Abbott machine was offering instant test results and was being hyped pretty heavily by the Trump admin. What actual, tactical steps should we have taken to decrease that turnaround time? Is it just lab capacity? Inability to produce more of the Abbott machines? The testing reagent? Because if you have to wait 7-10 days to get test results it seems like they are pretty worthless. I know people were sounding alarms on this back in March/April- what did we not do that we should have? Again, specifically regarding testing and turnaround time.

Abbott has multiple types of tests. The rapid test (5 mins) is for use on site like hospitals (or white house). They don't work as well for pop up test sites. The other test they have it the mouth swab and then sent into a lab. I know that they have recently increased lab testing facilities.

Other test providers may or may not be increasing testing facilities. It probably depends on the size of the company and their available capital to invest in facilities.

Back