• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

Duke is only allowing freshman and sophomores to live on campus. I definitely have noticed more people out in Durham with the students returning but nothing is really open.

UNC did this with no plan. They didn't test incoming students and they didn't attempt to decrease student density. Both Wake and Duke are requiring all students to test prior to arriving on campus and they both have taken major steps to reduce density - Wake has 65% of the rooms now as singles, and Duke has spaced out to the Washington Duke hotel and other buildings. These plans still may not work, but they are much better than no plan at all.

Fuck duke.

Duke is only allowing freshman and sophomores to live on campus. I definitely have noticed more people out in Durham with the students returning but nothing is really open.

For the first semester. The second semester will be juniors and seniors.

UNC did this with no plan. They didn't test incoming students and they didn't attempt to decrease student density. Both Wake and Duke are requiring all students to test prior to arriving on campus and they both have taken major steps to reduce density - Wake has 65% of the rooms now as singles, and Duke has spaced out to the Washington Duke hotel and other buildings. These plans still may not work, but they are much better than no plan at all.

They had a plan. More single dorms, spread out classes throughout the day, online options, limited class seating (every 4th seat, every other row). Dedicated dorms for quarantines and confirmed Covid cases. They did not test every kid before they were allowed on campus, however. Faculty wanted it, though.

What they could not control were the kids socially - esp Greek culture. Chi Omegas got famously busted for having a secret, off campus rush event (there is not supposed to be rush this semester), there was a cluster at the Sigma Nu house, kids were doing as slip-n-slide down a hill at Hinton James dorm (masked, but no social distancing). Kids being kids - bulletproof and invincible - wanting to party without really grasping the consequences of their actions.

Sorry, Carolina. Covid does not think you're special.

I can't blame the college kids here.

The biggest risk of this virus for college aged students has always been spreading it to a more-at-risk population.

The powers-that-be decided it was a good idea to bring students back into dorms, etc. away from their parents and elderly people they may care for.

Having the students back, when the schools had the option to go remote, was effectively a green light for these parties dangerous congregations of people...

As a parent of 2 kids at UNC, I find yesterday's "moving classes online" news to be a head-scratcher. 90% of my kids' classes this semester were already online only and about the same for their friends.

Also, the reported covid figures are likely grossly understated since MANY kids get tested off campus in order to avoid the quarantine dorm if infected.

outline.com version of a London Review of Books article that does a good job of synthesizing where things stand with treatments and vaccines:

https://outline.com/XUKkT3

last paragraph:

Will this all be over by Christmas? No. ‘Warp Speed’ means early next year, if we are lucky. By then, there is a reasonable chance that all three types of vaccine will have been shown to be efficacious, and hundreds of millions of doses will have been manufactured. That’s not the same as their having been administered to all the right people. The chance of partial success – a good level of temporary protection – is higher than the chance of full success. It may well be that two doses of the vaccine are required for better protection, or that we will eventually prefer one of the hundreds of vaccines currently in earlier stages of development. I would be extremely surprised if we never develop an effective vaccine. A bigger concern is to get enough people to take it up.

As a parent of 2 kids at UNC, I find yesterday's "moving classes online" news to be a head-scratcher. 90% of my kids' classes this semester were already online only and about the same for their friends.

Also, the reported covid figures are likely grossly understated since MANY kids get tested off campus in order to avoid the quarantine dorm if infected.

I just read another post from a UNC parent saying that the University was aware that all 8 of his son's suitemates have tested positive.

I think 2 were tested on campus, and the rest were reported from off-campus. It sounded like the presumptive positives were effectively running away from the dorms/campus. Yeesh, UNC

Makes sense to me - kicks people off campus who are there. Doesn’t matter if people’s classes are mostly online if they’re on campus still.

ke0cgt5q_1i4n57u_1cjo5ur.png

Back