• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

All I need to know is that she thought it was a good idea to fly to the Caribbean with at least 8 other people outside her household in the middle of a pandemic.

How long did she quarantine after she got back, before she went back to work?

8 other people who had all been tested. 10 days.

This is just one of those things that is dividing so many people right now. I have friends/family that haven't seen anyone outside of their kids/spouse since March and I have friends/family who hammer home the "you can't live in fear" view. I'm somewhere in the middle.

At the end of the day, I think there is a grey area...We can be cautious, while not completely shutting our lives down. Many people struggle big time with depression and anxiety due to the lack of normalcy and not being able to spend time with their friends and family. Flying out of the country is a bad idea, but getting in a car with another family and driving to the beach is somewhere in between the "live freely" crowd and "stay home" crowd.

We all need to be supportive of one another and try to understand that while going out to eat, or driving to see some friends might put you at risk of catching COVID, the opposite of that is sitting at home, feeling depressed, self medicating and falling into a bad rut. This isn't the case for everyone, but many people are struggling with a lot of shit. Everyone is fighting their own battles and dealing with their own shit in many ways.

Now, there are complete ass holes who don't wear masks, eat out every meal, jump on planes, vacation nonstop...Those folks are in their own category.

This is kind of where I am and what I have been trying to say. Yea, we decided to take one trip on a plane back in Oct. when things weren't nearly as bad as they have gotten lately. Other than that we have done very little and been as safe as possible. Did that trip add some risk - probably. But so does going to the grocery store with idiots who don't wear masks.
I do believe that anyone who has been in their house since March and avoided seeing anyone other then their immediate family is going too far (unless there are serious health issues that make avoiding the virus an absolute must, of course) - that cannot be healthy from a mental/emotional standpoint.

This is kind of where I am and what I have been trying to say. Yea, we decided to take one trip on a plane back in Oct. when things weren't nearly as bad as they have gotten lately. Other than that we have done very little and been as safe as possible. Did that trip add some risk - probably. But so does going to the grocery store with idiots who don't wear masks.
I do believe that anyone who has been in their house since March and avoided seeing anyone other then their immediate family is going too far (unless there are serious health issues that make avoiding the virus an absolute must, of course) - that cannot be healthy from a mental/emotional standpoint.

Makes it much worse from a mental/emotional standpoint when you see people hopping on a plane to a Caribbean island without a care in the world.

Again, just because you say you’re not the problem doesn’t make it true. You could’ve done a beach vacation with your friends in a much safer way, but you decided y’all just had to get in an airplane and stay in a house together. The whole reason this pandemic has dragged on so long is people deciding they deserve to do these high risk activities when they should just fucking wait 6-9 months.

This economy/mental/health/pandemic discussion is super fun. But honestly, it's to no end. People who believe we should shut down everything except truly essential services and stay inside our homes until it passed are clearly wrong. People who believe we should take the herd immunity route and live normal lives are clearly wrong. Everyone else is someplace in the middle and can probably justify it pretty well.

rock on.

Pretty sure planes have been low spread areas. But y’all keep on keeping on with those feelings. Spending 30 min in an airport is probably about as bad as spending 30min in a grocery store, probably better depending on where you live.

There’s no use reasoning with this. One of these is an essential thing to do to keep you alive. The other is not. Long flights have been shown to be super spreader events too. And traveling internationally and only spending 30 min at the airport?

30 minutes because fewer people are in airports. you know, responsible people letting the tourists go on their trips...safely!

There’s no use reasoning with this. One of these is an essential thing to do to keep you alive. The other is not. Long flights have been shown to be super spreader events too. And traveling internationally and only spending 30 min at the airport?

Guess I'll have to cancel that nonstop flight to Hong Kong.

My 14 year old daughter tested positive today. Almost certainly got it at school. Really hope it’s not because the school nurse decided to go on a Caribbean vacation over thanksgiving week.

I hope she has a speedy recovery and the rest of your family stays safe.

Once again what you “do believe” or what anyone else “believes” does not make it right. Sorry folks are not lining up to praise you for heroically wearing a mask on an international flight.

This is just one of those things that is dividing so many people right now. I have friends/family that haven't seen anyone outside of their kids/spouse since March and I have friends/family who hammer home the "you can't live in fear" view. I'm somewhere in the middle.

At the end of the day, I think there is a grey area...We can be cautious, while not completely shutting our lives down. Many people struggle big time with depression and anxiety due to the lack of normalcy and not being able to spend time with their friends and family. Flying out of the country is a bad idea, but getting in a car with another family and driving to the beach is somewhere in between the "live freely" crowd and "stay home" crowd.

We all need to be supportive of one another and try to understand that while going out to eat, or driving to see some friends might put you at risk of catching COVID, the opposite of that is sitting at home, feeling depressed, self medicating and falling into a bad rut. This isn't the case for everyone, but many people are struggling with a lot of shit. Everyone is fighting their own battles and dealing with their own shit in many ways.

Now, there are complete ass holes who don't wear masks, eat out every meal, jump on planes, vacation nonstop...Those folks are in their own category.

Like these idiots? https://www.lmtonline.com/news/article/More-Americans-are-traveling-to-Mexico-s-Riviera-15821287.php

Pretty sure planes have been low spread areas. But y’all keep on keeping on with those feelings. Spending 30 min in an airport is probably about as bad as spending 30min in a grocery store, probably better depending on where you live.

Planes themselves are more safe than one would expect due to their air filtration systems, assuming:

The plane doesn’t sit on the tarmac for very long (they generally don’t run their full filtration system when not in the air)
No one within a few rows of you has the virus
No one with the virus takes their mask off to eat or drink
No one with the virus uses the bathroom immediately before you

In any event, the flight itself isn’t the most risky part of a trip. It’s the baggage check lines, security check lines, sitting around at the gate, boarding/deplaning lines, and baggage claim that are the problem.

And, of course, all of this ignores the possibility that you are the problem, making it unsafe for others in the plane, in the airport, and at your destination. I only mention this last because it doesn’t seem to concern you.

My 14 year old daughter tested positive today. Almost certainly got it at school. Really hope it’s not because the school nurse decided to go on a Caribbean vacation over thanksgiving week.

It's good of you to be concerned about the school nurse's much deserved Caribbean vacation. I hope your daughter's selfishness doesn't ruin the trip.

(I hope your daughter does well and recovers quickly)

Back