• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

Seems like everyone on Twitter has a breakthrough case.

it's 1 in 5,000 per day - meaning if you've been walking around over the last 100 days, your odds are 100/5,000 or 2%

unless the true odds are 1 in 10,000 per day (as the article suggests may be the case); under those odds the chance of getting infected over 100 days is 1%

and then over the course of 5,000 days, or 10,000 days, you're gonna get it

From the article…

…The estimates here are based on statistics from three places that have reported detailed data on Covid infections by vaccination status: Utah; Virginia; and King County, which includes Seattle, in Washington state. All three are consistent with the idea that about one in 5,000 vaccinated Americans have tested positive for Covid each day in recent weeks.

The chances are surely higher in the places with the worst Covid outbreaks, like the Southeast. And in places with many fewer cases — like the Northeast, as well as the Chicago, Los Angeles and San Francisco areas — the chances are lower, probably less than 1 in 10,000. That’s what the Seattle data shows, for example. (These numbers don’t include undiagnosed cases, which are often so mild that people do not notice them and do not pass the virus to anyone else.)…

I think they make some good points…viral loads being similar in vaccination/unvaccinated folks at some point doesn’t mean the illness trajectories are similar. And the risk of serious illness among the vaccinated is much, much lower. So we shouldn’t conclude that breakthrough infections generally or viral loads specifically suggest vaccine ineffectiveness.

NYT article claiming 1 in 5,000 chance of a breakthrough case

was surprised it was that low -- feels like the chance is defs greater based on #anecdotes

That does seem low. I almost feel like I have covid right now. I've had some sort of congestion since last Tuesday, still lots of fatigue, my sense of smell/taste got very weak this weekend. I haven't gotten tested since I thought initially it was just a minor cold, but I wonder.

That does seem low. I almost feel like I have covid right now. I've had some sort of congestion since last Tuesday, still lots of fatigue, my sense of smell/taste got very weak this weekend. I haven't gotten tested since I thought initially it was just a minor cold, but I wonder.

You should get tested. Get a rapid antigen at CVS or Walgreens for $20. If you're positive then you can avoid spreading it to others. If you really lost your taste, then chances are high it is COVID.

Yes, it's like a placebo that is 95% effective.

paul-rudd-anchorman-the-legend-of-ron-burgundy.gif

You should get tested. Get a rapid antigen at CVS or Walgreens for $20. If you're positive then you can avoid spreading it to others. If you really lost your taste, then chances are high it is COVID.

Yeah, I plan to. I can still taste sweet/salty/creaming, but it's definitely not normal. I've lost taste/smell briefly for common colds, so that's why I wasn't sure. Definitely no major symptoms going on thankfully

I had what turned out to be a cold last week (had a negative PCR test after showing symptoms for a few days). I had some trouble smelling things but I kept trying to intentionally smell things that had stronger smells like hand soap, some cut fruit, alcohol, that I could all smell (and taste remained).

my company told me that even if I got a negative rapid test I'd have to get a PCR to come back to work, so I just skipped the rapid.

Back