• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

It's crazy how much more "in my circle" delta is. Upper middle class white families getting slayed here in NC.

It's crazy how much more "in my circle" delta is. Upper middle class white families getting slayed here in NC.

I mean the only real place I could have gotten it was having lunch twice. Shit's fairly transmissible

What's the easiest / cheapest way to get an antibody test? It used to be baked into blood donations at the Red Cross, but it's been discontinued.

Just gave my last blood draw for 2021. Study doesn't require another blood draw for 12 months. So go ahead and get fucked on knowing if regularly vaccinated people keep antibody counts up.

My wife tested negative twice this weekend, and is officially in the clear following her breakthrough case.

We, along with the friends we closely exposed, are all 2x Pfizer people. She was the only one in the group to ever test positive.

... her illness resembled a mild head cold/seasonal allergies for the first several days.

I had myself tested at the onset of her symptoms (Days 1 & 2), and was negative. Day 1 was a PCR Test, Day 2 was a rapid test.

After she started dealing with abnormal exhaustion (Day 3), I insisted that we give her a rapid test... and, she lit up the positive-line within a minute.

She immediately went into isolation.

She confirmed her positive the next day (Day 4) with another brand of rapid tests (I took one too, and remained negative).

We informed all of our close-contacts, which most notably included a couple that we'd traveled with on Day 2. The 4 of us were couped up in a tiny sedan with the windows up for hours.

So, our friends and I each started masking/distancing ourselves in public & we all tested again at the end of our 5-day exposure window. We all remained negative and none of us ever experienced any symptoms.

My wife lost her sense of taste and smell on ~Day 6. Her peak exhaustion/sickness was probably around this point.

She tested positive (PCR) again around Day 8, but was clearly on the rebound by then.

She stayed isolated until Day 12, when she tested tested negative (twice), via IDNow & Antigen. That was on Saturday, so I was able to leave the WF game and go hug & have drinks with my wife :cool:

Tl;Dr : Thanks science!

What's the easiest / cheapest way to get an antibody test? It used to be baked into blood donations at the Red Cross, but it's been discontinued.

Where did you see that it's been discontinued? That was a nice incentive for giving blood ...

Our hospital system broke out patients by vaccination status in the weekly update:

Hospitalized with COVID - 87% unvaccinated
ICU - 92% unvaccinated
Ventilator - 90% unvaccinated
ECMO - 100% unvaccinated

Like so many in the 1770s, they gave everything for our freedoms.

friend got his booster last week, first person I know that got one

has an immunocompromising condition, but got his second shot back in April or May, so was pretty surprised he got the booster so soon

apparently the pharmacist had no issue with him simply saying "my doctor recommended it", pharmacist said they have hundreds of unused vaccines available

Where did you see that it's been discontinued? That was a nice incentive for giving blood ...

Red Cross on Coliseum Drive on Aug 8. I explicitly asked and they said they're not doing it anymore. I donated 4 times in the prior 12-15 months.

Fuck me, been sick with what I thought was a cold for the past few days, my whole family has cold symptoms right now, and just found out from HR that I was exposed a few days ago. Had been planning to go out of town this weekend so my in laws could help with the baby for a few days. Went to get tested and the wait is crazy everywhere, found out that North Carolina has a rapid test shortage so now the entire fam is quarantined in the house all weekend until I get my results. Fuck.

Fuck me, been sick with what I thought was a cold for the past few days, my whole family has cold symptoms right now, and just found out from HR that I was exposed a few days ago. Had been planning to go out of town this weekend so my in laws could help with the baby for a few days. Went to get tested and the wait is crazy everywhere, found out that North Carolina has a rapid test shortage so now the entire fam is quarantined in the house all weekend until I get my results. Fuck.

Sorry to hear. But how does one be out sick for a few days with cold like symptoms and not immediately think coronavirus? FWIW, From my experience I had about 4 days of symtpoms (Day 1 = runny nose, 2-3 Fever, day 4 - runny nose, day 5 = fine). Hopefully it's consistent and so y'all will be at the end of it.

Looks like Moderna better than Pfizer at preventing breakthrough hospitalizations

Data collected from 18 states between March and August suggest the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine reduces the risk of being hospitalized with COVID-19 by 91% in the first four months after receiving the second dose. Beyond 120 days, however, that vaccine efficacy drops to 77%.

Meanwhile, Moderna's vaccine was 93% effective at reducing the short-term risk of COVID-19 hospitalization and remained 92% effective after 120 days.

Sorry to hear. But how does one be out sick for a few days with cold like symptoms and not immediately think coronavirus? FWIW, From my experience I had about 4 days of symtpoms (Day 1 = runny nose, 2-3 Fever, day 4 - runny nose, day 5 = fine). Hopefully it's consistent and so y'all will be at the end of it.

My symptoms until Friday were just runny nose and cough, and working at a school and both my girls in day care, I get a cold every other month right now. It wasn’t until Friday that I had the fatigue and lost my sense of smell. Still don’t have a fever. Currently quarantined in my bedroom.

My symptoms until Friday were just runny nose and cough, and working at a school and both my girls in day care, I get a cold every other month right now. It wasn’t until Friday that I had the fatigue and lost my sense of smell. Still don’t have a fever. Currently quarantined in my bedroom.

Hope you get well soon

Hope you get well soon

Thanks. Lost my sense of smell, but Friday PCR test came back negative, but because I took it only 3 days after exposure I have to get another test today. Hopefully this will be a rapid test.

Back