• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

I'm not sure I understand your question. The initial studies were done in adults and older kids, and then another round of studies was done in younger kids (age 5-11), which is why there was a delay in approval for younger kids.

That's really the gist of my concern. If they prioritized older groups, that's helpful. If they were more worried about effects on younger kids and needed to study it longer, that's different.

That's really the gist of my concern. If they prioritized older groups, that's helpful. If they were more worried about effects on younger kids and needed to study it longer, that's different.

Yes, adults were prioritized. That's the case with almost all investigational meds - adults are studied first unless there is a medical reason it should be studied in kids first (or only in kids).

I have not heard of parents staying home with kids because they got a vaccine. My kids got flu and tetanus shots last week and continued about their day like nothing happened. I guess if you're really concerned that your kids will need to miss school, then just do the vaccine on a Friday.

And ruin the weekend? Are you serious, Clark?

As someone that’s been involved with clinical trials there are many reasons to target different age groups. The first is what age group is most at risk adults verse children. Second is that even when equal the ability to enroll and follow adults is significantly easier than enrolling and following children. An adult answers for themself, self travel, etc… Completely opposite for younger age groups getting harder and harder as the child gets younger. There’s a lot more drop out, not good follow up, harder to measure side effects and so forth. Finally, the age groups themselves are somewhat epidemiological relics that usually are dependent on number of age cats someone designated, can do 65+, 18-65, under 18. Sometimes you let the disease and outcomes dictate age cats like 0-5, 5-18, 18-65, 65+ for worse outcomes for young and old. Sometimes like covid went 18+ for all adults 12-18 for puberty range, 5-11 for children, and 0-5 for young children, it’s pretty standard.

Kids have a more robust immune system than adults. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried about a kid's body overreacting to the vaccine and presenting problems. Yes, I realize that's why the dosage differs, etc... I am far more protective of my kid than I am of myself. I don't think there is anything unnatural or stupid about that. I'm definitely not a vax resister and I got mine as soon as-- actually before-- I was eligible.

Europe has not been masking their kids and don't appear to be in a hurry to vaccinate them because the risk is so small. They may change their tune in the future, but the US via the CDC has not had the same approach.

I am glad that my kid will not be initially eligible for a vaccine when they OK them for kids so that millions of other kids can get them before mine does. The real time and real life results from that will be far more telling for me than whatever studies Pfizer/Moderna put forth, much as it was for me when adults started getting them in bulk and not croaking.

I have to say that if you think it's bad now because some 300 lb Bubba who is old enough to make a decision on his own doesn't want his shot and dies, just wait until school districts start requiring shots for kindergartners.

Can’t wait for the tons and tons of Facebook posts from morons claiming their screen addicted kid got ADD from the shot.

I guess what I mean by that is it will likely be harder to filter out the bullshit after millions of kids get it or whatever.

I’m concerned about my kid too but in this case I’m far more concerned about long term side effects of covid.

I have to say that if you think it's bad now because some 300 lb Bubba who is old enough to make a decision on his own doesn't want his shot and dies, just wait until school districts start requiring shots for kindergartners.

Start? School districts have been requiring shots for kindergartners for literal decades. This is nothing new.

Fringy people (both new agey and libertarian dodos) have fought those vaccine requirements for years, and now that dumbass fringe has moved to the mainstream thanks to one particular political party.

Kids have a more robust immune system than adults. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried about a kid's body overreacting to the vaccine and presenting problems. Yes, I realize that's why the dosage differs, etc... I am far more protective of my kid than I am of myself. I don't think there is anything unnatural or stupid about that. I'm definitely not a vax resister and I got mine as soon as-- actually before-- I was eligible.

Europe has not been masking their kids and don't appear to be in a hurry to vaccinate them because the risk is so small. They may change their tune in the future, but the US via the CDC has not had the same approach.

I am glad that my kid will not be initially eligible for a vaccine when they OK them for kids so that millions of other kids can get them before mine does. The real time and real life results from that will be far more telling for me than whatever studies Pfizer/Moderna put forth, much as it was for me when adults started getting them in bulk and not croaking.

Public school districts already require vaccines prior to starting kindergarten. It is typically vaccination against 9 different organisms (27 different doses). I'm not aware of public schools requiring COVID vaccines for kids age 12 and up this year, so it is hard to imagine they will require it, mid-year, for ages 5 and up.

Probably because for the vast, vast, vast majority of kids, the 24-48 hour side effects from the vaccine will be significantly more discomforting than Covid, assuming they are similar to the adult side effects. So the parent has to plan on staying home from work with the kid the day after the shot(s), whereas if the kid gets Covid nobody even usually knows it unless they happen to take a test.

It's a shame they don't offer the vaccine on weekends.

Public school districts already require vaccines prior to starting kindergarten. It is typically vaccination against 9 different organisms (27 different doses). I'm not aware of public schools requiring COVID vaccines for kids age 12 and up this year, so it is hard to imagine they will require it, mid-year, for ages 5 and up.

Pretty sure Los Angeles is requiring COVID vaccines for students.

Pretty sure Los Angeles is requiring COVID vaccines for students.

I stand corrected. I just read a little about this - kids 12 and up have to be vaccinated against COVID by Jan 10, 2022 in LA Unified School District. [I came very close to just writing "point still stands!"]

I have not heard of parents staying home with kids because they got a vaccine. My kids got flu and tetanus shots last week and continued about their day like nothing happened. I guess if you're really concerned that your kids will need to miss school, then just do the vaccine on a Friday.

Here is a wild guess, but perhaps that is because kids 12+ can stay home by themselves, and kids under 12 haven't been able to get the vaccine yet. Just a thought.

Here is a wild guess, but perhaps that is because kids 12+ can stay home by themselves, and kids under 12 haven't been able to get the vaccine yet. Just a thought.

But we’re talking about sick kids.

I was talking about all vaccines. I thought that was clear, especially after I referenced flu and tetanus in the next sentence. All vaccines can (and hopefully do) cause an immune response.

That is a reasonable distinction. However, if a parent is worried, the weekend dosing seems to cover that concern.

Start? School districts have been requiring shots for kindergartners for literal decades. This is nothing new.

Fringy people (both new agey and libertarian dodos) have fought those vaccine requirements for years, and now that dumbass fringe has moved to the mainstream thanks to one particular political party.

I'm aware of that. And those vaccines have been issued for years without problems. I would submit, however, that there is a difference between requiring a kid to get an MMR or polio shot vs. a COVID vaccine for those ages 5-12. Even not considering the "newness" factor of the vaccine and the apprehension that comes with that, the fact that COVID is simply not an issue for kids that age (barring some kind of condition, in which case, get your kid a COVID shot by all means) is something that is worth considering.

If it clears the approval process what is the further concern? They tested it on more than like two people.

Back