• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

I have yet to meet a really sick or dying unvaccinated Covid patient that thought their decision to forego vaccination was a bigger risk than getting vaccinated.

In other words, eligible folks not vaccinated are making this choice due to their own risk/benefit ratio calculation…choosing the path forward that they believe is in their best interest. Yes, they are essentially misinformed. But their choice isn’t due to lack of concern about their own wellbeing. And when they get sick it affects us all to some extent and it’s appropriate IMO to try and help them if they want help.

I do think it could be worth figuring out a reasonable financial penalty for the eligible who remain unvaccinated.

Last edited:
Misinformation is the bigger problem so we have to combat misinformation supply with respect to creators and demand with respect to sheer ignorance and need for content that corresponds to that ignorance.

My 7 year old daughter tested positive this morning. She has loose stool and a fever. I'm not confident the loose stool is from the 'rona (she's had it for about 10 days so far). Fever is this morning only and she's lethargic as shit.

We took her to the doctor on the way back from the car ride to address the chronic diarrhea. Pediatrician said it was a stomach bug, and she otherwise checks out fine. She didn't develop a fever until late this morning.

I drove in a car with her for 5 hours yesterday. Daughter is/was not fully vaccinated (second Pfizer shot was supposed to be this week). Not sure if we'll get a test to determine what strain.

I think I was exposed to the same source that she was - yesterday I had the exact same feeling that I have had the three other times I've been exposed. It feels exactly like the onset of a flu/severe cold. Body aches, sinus pressure, fatigue, etc. By this morning, I feel like a million bucks. Booster was in October.

I have a huge amount of personal cognitive bias at this point, but her case and my response tell me:
(1) if you're "actively" vaccinated, you're basically immune from developing symptoms (the "breakthrough" cases in my life seem to have a confounding factor that impaired the ability of the vaccine to work, e.g. a compromised immune system or a number of months since being fully vaccinated); and
(2) The model of understanding that exists for adults doesn't seem to fit perfectly with kids. I realize that this isn't anything new.

Damn, sorry to hear that. Hope she doesn’t get impacted too much.

My 12 yr old fully vaccinated daughter just tested positive. Low grade fever and minor congestion, but no other symptoms.

So, what’s the current quarantine rule for fully vaccinated asymptomatic close contacts?

My 12 yr old fully vaccinated daughter just tested positive. Low grade fever and minor congestion, but no other symptoms.

So, what’s the current quarantine rule for fully vaccinated asymptomatic close contacts?

If fully vaccinated (including booster) and you have no symptoms as a close contact, you don't have to quarantine, but it is recommended that you get tested 5 days after exposure

The CDC recommends everyone even vaccinated people avoid cruises. We did a cruise last week. We noticed the crew added N95 masks to the standard cloth masks.

Earlier this week, the CDC announced they were investigating several ships that had outbreaks.

Under previous variants it was only quarantine if symptomatic , but I believe it changed and now ya should quarantine

Main stream cruises were god awful cesspools of disease before, now you would have to pay me money to go.

Main stream cruises were god awful cesspools of disease before, now you would have to pay me money to go.

This. I didn’t want to do a cruise when it was just norovirus. It would take a lot of money to get me on a cruise during the covid pandemic.

covid-hospitalizations-surge-globally-2021-12-30.webp

Whelp - was going to the beach tomorrow for the weekend with another couple. Supposed to do a half-marathon down there on Sunday. They call us tonight and say their grown daughter started with symptoms last night and tested positive today. They were with her in close contact for an extended period of time yesterday.

The tough part is that we leave for a trip to Turks and Caicos next Saturday and we have to have a negative test on Wed or Thurs so we can upload it on Friday before the trip.

So, though we aren't that worried about getting sick, we can't take a chance on testing positive so we are not going this weekend... Ugh - this shit really sucks! I understand a lot of places aren't making you get tested (Mexico, DR, etc.), but T&C is really strict. We waffled back and forth but in the end this weekend trip is not that important but the T&C trip is - so we can't afford the risk...

We’d like to hang with y’all, but you know… Turks.

Back