• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

The government actually did just provide you with rent, an eviction moratorium, and uncontested unemployment for over a year. So you got to stay home for a year whether actually sick or not (most likely you were not sick but stayed home anyway).

You’re fucking clueless, as usual. 1. The government did not pay anyone’s rent. 2. The eviction moratorium ended months ago, and in a lot of places evictions never stopped. 3. Unemployment benefits were for people who quit or lost their jobs (even temporarily). You assholes are talking about people *with jobs* staying home from work whenever they have any symptoms of COVID, or whenever their children have any symptoms, which isn’t possible.

What reality are you living in where everyone who has the sniffles can afford to stay home? If everyone who had a cold or a kid with a runny nose stayed home the entire world would shut the fuck down. I also hate to break it to you, but my rent and bills don’t come at your convenience, so *no* I’m actually not going to stay home unless I absolutely have to, and if you have a problem with that then take it up with the government, who aren’t providing the resources to citizens to stay home when they are sick.

P.S. if you have ever in your entire life eaten at a restaurant I can near guarantee you that there was someone in the kitchen that day who had to come to work with flu symptoms.

Whoa dude, take a chill pill.
No one said that if you have the sniffles stay home. My laugh was at all the assholes waiting on ones to get tested which is likey to show little. I understand how the world works (believe me) and people have shit that they have to do. If anything I feel strongly that people need to put their head down, F the Virus and go on with their lives, especially since this recent variant appears rather benign to most everyone who is vaccinated.
And if you're not, you are a f'in idiot which we can all agree..

I empathized with this take until the revelation that ya did go to wake. Da fuq ya doing not having a job that has sick time and/or the ability to take 2-3 days off of work when you're sick?

A lot of people have PTO, a lot of people don’t. A lot of people have jobs that are so tightly staffed that their bosses force them to come to work even when they are sick. A lot of people have jobs where needy and vulnerable people, and their coworkers are dependent upon them. We’re not all just answering emails and phone calls or working on excel, some of us have to travel to a public place and perform a service there - Cooks, cashiers, nurses, mechanics, bus drivers, teachers, sanitation workers - millions of other professions that our society depends on everyday and most of them don’t have the luxury of using a PTO day every time they cold symptoms.

Returning to the original clueless post that pissed me off - a lot of people need a positive COVID test to be excused from work, and a lot of people need a negative test result to return to work, so to answer the question “Why are we testing instead of just staying home?“ because very many people can’t stay home.

In this society, staying home from work when you are sick is a *privilege*. If you believe that everyone should be able to do that, then you need to reorient your political beliefs to help make that privilege available to everyone.

You’re fucking clueless, as usual. 1. The government did not pay anyone’s rent. 2. The eviction moratorium ended months ago, and in a lot of places evictions never stopped. 3. Unemployment benefits were for people who quit or lost their jobs (even temporarily). You assholes are talking about people *with jobs* staying home from work whenever they have any symptoms of COVID, or whenever their children have any symptoms, which isn’t possible.

Ha. Every single thing you said was completely wrong.

1. Ever hear of the NC HOPE program? It has paid out hundreds of millions in rent and utilities through Covid. It covers 88 counties, the other 12 (larger) counties each have their own county-specific version coming direct from the federal subsidies.
2. The only times it didn't stop were for non-monetary evictions. Sorry if you thought your ability to commit crimes should continue even as your rent was being paid for you. And in Mecklenburg it is still going strong. The Clerk of Court just had to resign in shame because she still wasn't docketing eviction cases that had been stockpiling as people have lived for free for over a year while the landlord companies still have to make their mortgage payments. And lucky for you, she wouldn't even allow the rapist next door to be evicted either.
3. Uh, no. Anyone could apply for unemployment and got paid in good faith, regardless of actual employment status or reason for unemployment. We are just now getting file audits from 2020 to confirm eligibility from back then. They paid out everything without any questions when it happened. Good luck tracking that back down.

You are an idiot. But keep spouting your commie propaganda.

1. Ever hear of the NC HOPE program? It has paid out hundreds of millions in rent and utilities through Covid. It covers 88 counties, the other 12 (larger) counties each have their own county-specific version coming direct from the federal subsidies.
2. The only times it didn't stop were for non-monetary evictions. Sorry if you thought your ability to commit crimes should continue even as your rent was being paid for you. And in Mecklenburg it is still going strong. The Clerk of Court just had to resign in shame because she still wasn't docketing eviction cases that had been stockpiling as people have lived for free for over a year while the landlord companies still have to make their mortgage payments. And lucky for you, she wouldn't even allow the rapist next door to be evicted either.
3. Uh, no. Anyone could apply for unemployment and got paid in good faith, regardless of actual employment status or reason for unemployment. We are just now getting file audits from 2020 to confirm eligibility from back then. They paid out everything without any questions when it happened. Good luck tracking that back down.

You are an idiot. But keep spouting your commie propaganda.

Bro I’m legit not sure you actually know how to read.

If anything I feel strongly that people need to put their head down, F the Virus and go on with their lives, especially since this recent variant appears rather benign to most everyone who is vaccinated.

serious question: unless I'm misreading you, if you're trying to ignore the virus then why open this thread?

You did public accounting for a hot minute right palma? When I was there in my early/mid 20s we weren’t calling out sick for colds this time of year.

Super toxic culture in that industry for sure but it’s hardly unique

Sure, but no one's doing that the past 2 years. There's plenty of States that requires paid sick time, like the State I live in. Federally, the government did actually pay for sick time for everyone from April 2020 through September 2021, so even those in states not like CA has had paid sick time for the past year and a half (recently expired).

Bro with the idiotic vitriol you have for every person you consider lesser than you, you should stay away from non-political threads like this, because you can’t help but poison them. If your perspective on COVID regulations doesn’t consider the economic challenges of paycheck to paycheck laborers then it’s a worthless perspective not worth posting.

Also, if you ever had the balls to talk so much shit about “fatties” IRL to an actual fat person I hope your hateful ass gets knocked out. I know that if you or the handful of other posters that talk that shit here said that to me I would slap you in the fucking face. This board is supposed to be a place for fellow Deacons to converse, it’s not your fucking toilet to piss in. It’s disgusting how a few of you are so casually hateful and cruel.

To be fair, 2&2 started this thread.

Starting a thread isn’t an excuse or allowance to be a hateful & inciting asshole. Maybe I’m mistaken but I don’t think he’s on the team in charge of managing the board and paying server fees. Could be wrong.

Just saying that he started the thread to make passive aggressive political statements under the guise of not being political.

And things for the paycheck to paycheck crowd were pretty sweet for alot of folks the past 2 years. My wife definitely fell into the category that 1) lost her job 2) made more money not working than working 3) Got accidently overpaid by the state on her unemployment and continued to receive pay once she got a new job 4) made less on the new job than when not working 5) still hasn't received a notice of how much to repay of the overpaid unemployment.

I know people don’t really care but one of the reasons you need to stay home even if you have the sniffles isn’t just your own health, it’s not even just immunocompromised health it’s really about everyone’s health when community spread gets jacked sky high. There are a couple of pretty essential industries that have some pretty strict health regulations one of them being healthcare itself. If you have covid symptoms so you can’t work you get staff shortages and it’s not just about hospitals being full of covid unvaccinated dumbasses (they are) it’s about just not enough healthcare workers period, car crash, heart attack etc your care diminishes excessive mortality sky rockets.

one of them being healthcare itself. If you have covid symptoms so you can’t work you get staff shortages and it’s not just about hospitals being full of covid unvaccinated dumbasses (they are) it’s about just not enough healthcare workers period, car crash, heart attack etc your care diminishes excessive mortality sky rockets.

In my experience, doctors don’t take sick days, no matter how contagious they might be.

So my mother's rapid drive-thru test came back after 4-5 days as....negative? WTF? Everybody else came up positive, and mom and dad (who hasn't been tested) have both been exhibiting symptoms, so we're just treating it as a false negative.

Anybody else have similar issues with false negatives?

So my mother's rapid drive-thru test came back after 4-5 days as....negative? WTF? Everybody else came up positive, and mom and dad (who hasn't been tested) have both been exhibiting symptoms, so we're just treating it as a false negative.

False negatives are a known issue with the rapid tests. More so with the Omicron variant.

False negatives are pretty rare, but in her case it would probably be safe to assume that happened. Hard to say, though. My mother-in-law tested positive last week and my father-in-law became symptomatic about 5 days later, but tested negative. My BIL and SIL (whom they probably got it from) were told not to test for 5 days from exposure, and they both tested negative, but one (and only one) of their twin daughters tested positive. We figure that the parents got it first and were asymptomatic, gave it to the kids, who then gave it to my MIL. Which makes it dumb that the people whom likely were earlier on the chain had to test later, but whatever. COVID does weird things.

Back