• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

There is definitely concern that the rush to get a vaccine out could result in something like the following example from 2015 (from the NYT):

Yep, it's a concern, which is why I will be reviewing the data carefully.

Nowadays you can get an expert to say anything or interpret any data a certain way for the right $ or push, and the internet spins or flushes the finished result regardless of actual facts. The technology is far more advanced now, but I trust those scientists from the 50s, 60s, and 70s a hell of a lot more than anyone associated with the current administration when it comes to declaring that something is effective. This pandemic alone has just moved the pendulum farther and farther in both directions about the accuracy of the "experts" in today's world, both sides are full of shit. Everyone has an agenda and they are lying if they tell you they don't. After I've seen it work for a few years then maybe, but until then I'll take my 99.9+% chance with the virus.

I'm not sure what you mean by "both sides are full of shit." To me, in this current pandemic the two sides are the politics and the science, and of those two I know for 100% certainty which side I'll be on.

Its always sample size and risk, nothing comes without risk. Its almost impossible to have a 100% safe vaccine, you will get to 99.99% but 100 will always be off the table. Thats the same with sensitivity and specificity of tests etc... you will not get 100%. Then it comes with what do we consider an acceptable risk, when you try to manipulate a complex system like the immune system there are a lot of factors that will be specific to each person, its impossible to control for all of them. What you do want to do is make sure that it is safe for the majority and that's where large sample size clinical trials come in. If you limit the size or rush the results you will not have the data that's needed to make the safe declaration. However people will latch onto the .001% because they dont understand risk or sizing. If this vaccine is 99.999% safe and is given to the world, that's 75,000 adverse events.

I also mentioned before from a platform perspective most companies have their proprietary vaccine system that most have been pushed through large scale clinical trials for use with out diseases, thats why it is so "easy" to ramp up for a novel virus because the backbone of the system has been proven safe so its plug and play. I would not necessarily be concerned about the actual formulation of the vaccine, I would be concerned with A. Does it actually work and more importantly B. Does it create in some people an environment where disease progression is worse, most likely through something like antibody dependent enhancement.

The odds of vaccine coming out in mid-October and Trump saying “Just take it. What do you have to lose?” are pretty high.

The odds of vaccine coming out in mid-October and Trump saying “Just take it. What do you have to lose?” are pretty high.

Maybe. But Trump seems to be favoring the "treatments" that have no evidence and are pushed by strange segments of the internet. I don't see that happening with a vaccine from a reputable source, backed by strong and reputable data. The conspiracy theorists don't push the treatments backed by good science.

I doubt a vaccine from a reputable source backed by reputable data would be ready by mid-October. Perhaps I didn’t imply that strongly enough.

Let's say the vaccine goes to front line workers, elderly, and at risk groups first. There are no immediate problems in 99.999 whatever percent. Should I have much of a worry at that point?

I'm not sure what you mean by "both sides are full of shit." To me, in this current pandemic the two sides are the politics and the science, and of those two I know for 100% certainty which side I'll be on.

No, the two sides of the pendulum are the (1) we're all going to die unless we stay inside side and (2) absolutely nothing to see here side. You can find scientists and politicians on both sides of the pendulum. The reality is somewhere in the middle.

No, the two sides of the pendulum are the (1) we're all going to die unless we stay inside side and (2) absolutely nothing to see here side. You can find scientists and politicians on both sides of the pendulum. The reality is somewhere in the middle.

I have never met anyone, in real life or online, that thinks we're all going to die unless we stay inside. You've imagined that side of the pendulum.

I have never met anyone, in real life or online, that thinks we're all going to die unless we stay inside. You've imagined that side of the pendulum.

Maybe not, but there are some pretty nervous people hanging around.

There isn't anyone who said "we're all going to die". Why do you post such obvious lies?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/15/us/coronavirus-what-to-do-outside.html

Basically, going outside is pretty safe unless you spend a lot of time within 6 feet of an infected person/share utensil or food. The big question mark is how infectious surfaces can be - is the railing on the steps down to the beach going to transfer enough virus to your hand that will lead to an infection when you touch your face.

I'm pretty confident that I won't be sitting inside in a restaurant for a long time, and will be very hesitant about an outdoor patio that is only doing the minimum separation.

Certainly not a real scientist or physician, I’d imagine.

More on the D.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/the-growing-evidence-on-vitamin-d-and-covid

Probably just more quackery since we all know nothing can stop the Corona.

Both great news for us restarting Little League June 1. No spreading infection via the baseball as has been questioned, and gimme all that sunburn.

Back