• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

I get the concept of statistical significance, but when we're talking about hundreds and thousands of deaths (now) and tens of millions of deaths (eventually), you'll want to do larger scale studies to see if that 15-20% holds up, not just stop and say "not statistically significant" Potentially averting any death is significant.

Last edited:
I think the whole point of forcing kids to take Calculus is to show them that there's a lot of math out that there that they can sort of understand but will never use.

I get the concept of statistical significance, but when we're talking about hundreds and thousands of deaths (now) and tens of millions of deaths (eventually), you'll want to do larger scale studies to see if that 15-20% holds up, not just stop and say "not statistically significant" Potentially averting any death is significant.

So you would argue to spend more time and money on a premise that doesn't make sense and has been shown in well-designed studies to be ineffective?

And some non political actors are trying to prove Trump wrong. Also ridiculous. There are some non-political actors that are still interested in HCQ.

Doctors. Medical researchers. Those are the “non political actors.” People who are trying to contain the virus.

The political actors keep bringing it up. And then the experts have to devote more attention to debunking them. Let’s research plausible treatments instead of continuing to focus on this one.

Related thought. It's wild to me that basically every high school kid ends up taking algebra 2 and trig, and many end up taking calculus. An pretty much nobody uses that stuff in real life. But did anyone actually take stats in high school? It wasn't even an option for me. Seems way more useful, no?

I took AP Stats at my filthy public high school like Juice. Obviously didn’t learn shit because I was taking Stats at 8AM M/W/F my first semester at Wake. Taught by some douche blonde ponytailed dude who went to NC State. Did not enjoy very much about any of it.

So you would argue to spend more time and money on a premise that doesn't make sense and has been shown in well-designed studies to be ineffective?

There's enough noise from enough people that yes you would, as they seem to indicate there's enough evidence to continue forward and their case for doing so is fairly convincing. We've spent $6 trillion dollars and counting on propping the economy up, it's fairly hard to say the money wouldn't be well spent. If there's even a 1% chance it results in something, you're talking $60 billion saved.

Last edited:
Eat shit and die, you dumb motherfucker. I would tell you to get the Rona, but you wouldn't die from that; though you might give yourself a heart attack from getting the sniffles I guess. Its idiots like you who can't think for themselves and feed the media paranoia why we are in this situation and why your kids aren't going back to school. And God help them if you are the one educating them instead of actual teachers. I know you won't look at it because it doesn't feed your prejudiced narrative that you are better than everyone else and you will come up with some excuse why science and data only matters when it supports your viewpoint, but here are the actual provisional raw death stats from the CDC week over week. https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/COVID19/index.htm The first column is the week, the second column is all of the Covid-Related deaths, and the third column is all US deaths.

2/1/2020 0 58,347
2/8/2020 1 59,106
2/15/2020 0 58,386
2/22/2020 5 58,403
2/29/2020 6 58,566
3/7/2020 34 58,680
3/14/2020 52 57,723
3/21/2020 563 58,581
3/28/2020 3,136 62,570
4/4/2020 9,917 71,780
4/11/2020 16,040 78,480
4/18/2020 16,935 76,165
4/25/2020 15,285 73,114
5/2/2020 13,008 68,362
5/9/2020 11,001 65,626
5/16/2020 8,990 62,963
5/23/2020 7,012 59,717
5/30/2020 5,966 57,009
6/6/2020 4,806 55,526
6/13/2020 3,972 53,681
6/20/2020 3,418 51,898
6/27/2020 2,939 49,033
7/4/2020 2,462 42,219
7/11/2020 1,099 24,723

Obviously there is a reporting lag with the most recent week, but, despite the number of cases going up up up, the number of actual deaths has been going down down down week over week. Despite people going back to work, despite the "reopening", despite the alleged Memorial Day, summer, protest, and July 4 death surges, and despite people trying to get some semblance of normal given rampant unemployment and other resulting problems much bigger than this virus. But the WFH Elite don't want to see that, they just want to try to blame everyone who doesn't think like them for the world's problems. You want to blame religious people, you want to blame old people, you want to blame uneducated people, you want to blame poor people, you want to blame young people. You are a prejudiced, piece of shit, bigot, who is no better than those whose statues are being torn down or the dude flying the stars and bars, and you are too hypocritical and dumb to see it. Go fuck yourself.

so 2&2 either quit after this screed, or he is in a hospital somewhere with covid. which is it?

Not a political actor, just a former CEO of a decent sized ($200 mil) pharma company, bio major with a med school wife and on the board of a company researching COVID therapeutics: Word for word, although since he's talking to a cousin I doubt he's worried about complete accuracy.

"On the good side, finally someone did a randomized trial so that the baseline severity was well matched. But, it was and open label study, which means both the doctor and the patient know what drug they are on. Without blinding (there are simple ways to blind) neither doctor nor patient are without biases for subjective endpoints (the lower portion of the scale and side effects). Patients on two placebos will always have more side effects than those taking one placebo. QT interval can be higher in HQC and AZT, so noting higher rates does not mean anything unless there are significant differences in things like arrhythmias. All that said, here are the two disqualifiers for this study. 1) ~50% of all patients in all groups were on HQC and/or AZT within 24 hours of starting the study. (Rafi's and I discussed this on the last page, this appears to be true). Think about that, 50% of patients that you randomize were already on the drugs before you randomize them. There is no mention of how long the 50% of each group of patients were on HQC and/AZT prior to starting the study, since they don't tell us. FDA would never let us submit a study with ANY level of study drug used prior to the starting the study (especially with long half life drugs like AZT). The reason is that patients may already have gotten enough of either or both drugs to be headed in the right direction. This makes the most important piece of information " how many doses of both drugs were used prior to enrollment in the study. FDA would not let us use ANY patients like this and would laugh us out of a room where 50% were "prior users of potentially therapeutic amounts of any potentially effective therapy" So, disqualified, no need to read further. If you are a glutton for punishment, there is a second worse reason this study is broken. That is, they allowed up to 14 days of symptoms prior to enrollment!!! The Yale guy and everyone else told us before March that we needed to start treatment within 4 days. This has been further qualified to 24-48, with the recommendation to start treatment immediately/less than 24 hour from symptoms. We found in our Miami clinical trial that all 7 subjects that tested positive were resolved within 14 days. Again, they set this study up completely wrong if they wanted to fairly assess the potential of HQC.

Of Course, this is where the Yale doctor is exactly right. Many people do/did not want to study the potential of a therapeutic fairly. When you do undisciplined studies and have a bias, it's junk science. garbage in = garbage out. But also, think about my first point, 50% of the patients who showed up at the hospital were already on one or both of these drugs. That is the real truth behind the study. In second world countries 50% of patients with symptoms are getting these drugs and Americans are not, in a large part because the people made it political. The Yale doctor did a nice job of explaining the flaws in many of the early studies but did not cover this one. He also mentioned that a large share of the patients in developed and developing nations started receiving HQC with AZT or doxycycline in March. I can only imagine how many tens of thousands of lives could have been spared in the US, if patients and doctors were not deterred from prescribing them. Many of those front line doctors took either or both drugs for months in the hopes they would be protective or prophylactic. The Yale Doctor is right, everyone with a positive COVID test and symptoms and/or risk factors should be offered HQC. If they progress, they should get IV remdesivir."

Me: What I don't get is why can't someone simply do a trial under the scenarios you describe, Even with something being political that's not preventing someone from doing it, right? Getting someone within 24 hours is probably the hard part.

"Well most groups did not do a randomized, placebo controlled blinded study. The Henry Ford Hospital system in Michigan did a good on (large as in 2600 but not purely randomized) and showed a 50% benefit. Getting within 24 hours of symptoms starting is hard work, but that's what clinical trials are. That's why we spend hundreds of millions to do this. If you wanted to use the drug broadly to blunt COVID early on, that's what you would do. Lots of people try to do studies all the time to "prove their hypothesis" and some don't want to see a drug or therapy work. But with COVID ethics committees and IRBs let almost everything through (lots of junk and the junk overwhelmed the good studies) and then journals are letting almost anything be published at th eback end. You could ask yourself, if you were an acedmic who lives and dies by publications and whose whole department loathes the Trump Administration, why WOULD you spend the time and money to do it right and really see if it works"

Me: But I guess what I'm saying is right now politically if you support the trump admin, you'd fund the trial show the benefit and it may well sway the election. Oh and you'd spend the money to maybe save some lives? Presumable there's someone in the world that cares about saving lives, also probably plenty of people in different countries who don't care about american politics as much.

Him. "It's disgusting, and I think more of these authors should be punished (blocked from conducting trials/publishing for a few years or something) the studies they have pursued and then published. The Yale guy is right. Most of these people know better and have blood on their hands. Academics don't have the money to do blinded studies and closing the hospitals to wait for covid patients damn near bankrupted many. And if your buddy is going to get published quicker and easier for less money, where will the money come from. Yes ethics committees and IRBs should be sanctioned. They let almost anything through. Lots of it junk. There are good studies supporting HQC, you just have to look for them. When negative studies come along they are published as "pre print" before peer reviewed with the specious claims and the press picks them up. You never hear about the authors revoking their names, the corrections after peer review or the ultimate rejections. Everyone just remembers there are "so many" studies showing that HQC doesn't work. I have friends on Facebook say last year they hoped we had a horrible recession this year so Trump isn't re-elected. I responded that this would mean tens of millions of people would be out of work and lives imperiled. They responded that they would not be affected and the ends justify the means. Once the "ends justify the means" anything can be done if you hate Trump enough.

Last edited:
Related thought. It's wild to me that basically every high school kid ends up taking algebra 2 and trig, and many end up taking calculus. An pretty much nobody uses that stuff in real life. But did anyone actually take stats in high school? It wasn't even an option for me. Seems way more useful, no?

This is an excellent point. I would say that it is all the more important now.

There's enough noise from enough people that yes you would, as they seem to indicate there's enough evidence to continue forward and their case for doing so is fairly convincing. We've spent $6 trillion dollars and counting on propping the economy up, it's fairly hard to say the money wouldn't be well spent. If there's even a 1% chance it results in something, you're talking $60 billion saved.

I have no problem with running trials trying to answer the question. IMO, one of the (many) big failures of our government response to COVID has been the lack of central coordination of well designed clinical trials. Even though we have had way more cases than anywhere else, the lack of data is pretty shocking. A place like the UK has done a much better job of putting a huge percentage of their patients on study, which is why we have gotten the answers we have on Dex (it works!) and on HCQ (it doesn't, at least in hospitalized patients). The problem with just prescribing random drugs before the data is available is not just the potential harm it could do to patients, and the wasted money, but it makes it harder to do the research needed to know whether you are actually helping or not.

That said, there are a finite numbers of patients and dollars that are available for clinical research, even if things were better organized. So far, a hugely disproportionate amount of those dollars and patients have gone into HCQ studies. Given that the available evidence suggests it is highly unlikely to be helpful, I think it makes more sense to divert those patients and dollars to testing other options with a higher pretest probability of success.

non-politically and all, but roughly what year would you estimate was the inflection point for a critical mass completely disregarding all public health advice?

like, if this happens in the 80s, I imagine all the Reganites wear masks

I guess it's sometime during the Obama years and correlates directly with the Tea Party, so I'll say like 2009

What year did Facebook lift its EDU email address exclusivity? I'd bet it started that year.

Not a political actor, just a former CEO of a decent sized ($200 mil) pharma company, bio major with a med school wife and on the board of a company researching COVID therapeutics: Word for word, although since he's talking to a cousin I doubt he's worried about complete accuracy.

"On the good side, finally someone did a randomized trial so that the baseline severity was well matched. But, it was and open label study, which means both the doctor and the patient know what drug they are on. Without blinding (there are simple ways to blind) neither doctor nor patient are without biases for subjective endpoints (the lower portion of the scale and side effects). Patients on two placebos will always have more side effects than those taking one placebo. QT interval can be higher in HQC and AZT, so noting higher rates does not mean anything unless there are significant differences in things like arrhythmias. All that said, here are the two disqualifiers for this study. 1) ~50% of all patients in all groups were on HQC and/or AZT within 24 hours of starting the study. (Rafi's and I discussed this on the last page, this appears to be true). Think about that, 50% of patients that you randomize were already on the drugs before you randomize them. There is no mention of how long the 50% of each group of patients were on HQC and/AZT prior to starting the study, since they don't tell us. FDA would never let us submit a study with ANY level of study drug used prior to the starting the study (especially with long half life drugs like AZT). The reason is that patients may already have gotten enough of either or both drugs to be headed in the right direction. This makes the most important piece of information " how many doses of both drugs were used prior to enrollment in the study. FDA would not let us use ANY patients like this and would laugh us out of a room where 50% were "prior users of potentially therapeutic amounts of any potentially effective therapy" So, disqualified, no need to read further. If you are a glutton for punishment, there is a second worse reason this study is broken. That is, they allowed up to 14 days of symptoms prior to enrollment!!! The Yale guy and everyone else told us before March that we needed to start treatment within 4 days. This has been further qualified to 24-48, with the recommendation to start treatment immediately/less than 24 hour from symptoms. We found in our Miami clinical trial that all 7 subjects that tested positive were resolved within 14 days. Again, they set this study up completely wrong if they wanted to fairly assess the potential of HQC.

Of Course, this is where the Yale doctor is exactly right. Many people do/did not want to study the potential of a therapeutic fairly. When you do undisciplined studies and have a bias, it's junk science. garbage in = garbage out. But also, think about my first point, 50% of the patients who showed up at the hospital were already on one or both of these drugs. That is the real truth behind the study. In second world countries 50% of patients with symptoms are getting these drugs and Americans are not, in a large part because the people made it political. The Yale doctor did a nice job of explaining the flaws in many of the early studies but did not cover this one. He also mentioned that a large share of the patients in developed and developing nations started receiving HQC with AZT or doxycycline in March. I can only imagine how many tens of thousands of lives could have been spared in the US, if patients and doctors were not deterred from prescribing them. Many of those front line doctors took either or both drugs for months in the hopes they would be protective or prophylactic. The Yale Doctor is right, everyone with a positive COVID test and symptoms and/or risk factors should be offered HQC. If they progress, they should get IV remdesivir."

Me: What I don't get is why can't someone simply do a trial under the scenarios you describe, Even with something being political that's not preventing someone from doing it, right? Getting someone within 24 hours is probably the hard part.

"Well most groups did not do a randomized, placebo controlled blinded study. The Henry Ford Hospital system in Michigan did a good on (large as in 2600 but not purely randomized) and showed a 50% benefit. Getting within 24 hours of symptoms starting is hard work, but that's what clinical trials are. That's why we spend hundreds of millions to do this. If you wanted to use the drug broadly to blunt COVID early on, that's what you would do. Lots of people try to do studies all the time to "prove their hypothesis" and some don't want to see a drug or therapy work. But with COVID ethics committees and IRBs let almost everything through (lots of junk and the junk overwhelmed the good studies) and then journals are letting almost anything be published at th eback end. You could ask yourself, if you were an acedmic who lives and dies by publications and whose whole department loathes the Trump Administration, why WOULD you spend the time and money to do it right and really see if it works"

Me: But I guess what I'm saying is right now politically if you support the trump admin, you'd fund the trial show the benefit and it may well sway the election. Oh and you'd spend the money to maybe save some lives? Presumable there's someone in the world that cares about saving lives, also probably plenty of people in different countries who don't care about american politics as much.

Him. "It's disgusting, and I think more of these authors should be punished (blocked from conducting trials/publishing for a few years or something) the studies they have pursued and then published. The Yale guy is right. Most of these people know better and have blood on their hands. Academics don't have the money to do blinded studies and closing the hospitals to wait for covid patients damn near bankrupted many. And if your buddy is going to get published quicker and easier for less money, where will the money come from. Yes ethics committees and IRBs should be sanctioned. They let almost anything through. Lots of it junk. There are good studies supporting HQC, you just have to look for them. When negative studies come along they are published as "pre print" before peer reviewed with the specious claims and the press picks them up. You never hear about the authors revoking their names, the corrections after peer review or the ultimate rejections. Everyone just remembers there are "so many" studies showing that HQC doesn't work. I have friends on Facebook say last year they hoped we had a horrible recession this year so Trump isn't re-elected. I responded that this would mean tens of millions of people would be out of work and lives imperiled. They responded that they would not be affected and the ends justify the means. Once the "ends justify the means" anything can be done if you hate Trump enough.

Yikes. Lots wrong here. The idea of shitting on a randomized study because it's open label, and then hyping non-randomized data later on is LOL bad. The 50% of patients thing is not close to accurate. But even it were, it comes no where close to the amount of bias introduced in the non randomized studies. Like the Henry Ford study he references is laughably bad. "Not purely randomized.." It was a retrospective cohort study that wasn't even well matched (the group that got HCQ was 5 years younger on average; steroids, which we now know do save lifes, were given to 80% of the patients who got HCQ and only 35% of the group that didn't)!

He seems to be...not well informed.

the company where he sits on the board, what do you know about the therapeutics they are developing?

Yikes. Lots wrong here. The idea of shitting on a randomized study because it's open label, and then hyping non-randomized data later on is LOL bad. The 50% of patients thing is not close to accurate. But even it were, it comes no where close to the amount of bias introduced in the non randomized studies. Like the Henry Ford study he references is laughably bad. "Not purely randomized.." It was a retrospective cohort study that wasn't even well matched (the group that got HCQ was 5 years younger on average; steroids, which we now know do save lifes, were given to 80% of the patients who got HCQ and only 35% of the group that didn't)!

He seems to be...not well informed.

Both you and Rafi seemed to focus on his 50% number, (One of you said 10%, which was the HCQ number) although my initial quote of him was worded correctly. He doesn't seem to be in error of this point

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2019014

39.8% of the control group used azrithomycin and 8.4% used HCQ during the 24 hour period prior to the randomization. With unknown overlap He's also right that people (including he) have been saying it needs to be used early since before March. I agree he's probably not giving the same level of scrutiny to the data like the Henry Ford study. But between that and the other studies the Yale doc is referencing, I think it's worth further studies to actually get an answer, like you mentioned before.

And the Yale doc's point still seems to stand. There's enough data that seems to think it might help, there's very little negative effects noted (9/100,000) morbidity, and we don't have the luxury of time to wait until September or later to decide whether or not to start prescribing it. Hard to argue against. although I suppose as we sit here on July 30th , we can wait until Sept. It was a better argument in March.

Last edited:
Not to belabor, but he says "There is no mention of how long the 50% of each group of patients were on HQC and/AZT prior to starting the study, since they don't tell us." They do tell us, specifically. None of the patients were on it more than 24 hours.

"On the good side, finally someone did a randomized trial so that the baseline severity was well matched. The point of randomization is not to match the baseline, but to to reduce systematic bias.But, it was and open label study, which means both the doctor and the patient know what drug they are on. Without blinding (there are simple ways to blind) neither doctor nor patient are without biases for subjective endpoints (the lower portion of the scale and side effects).Blinding is always better, but in this case the outcomes were in/out of hospital, dead/alive - not a lot of room for bias. Patients on two placebos will always have more side effects than those taking one placebo. QT interval can be higher in HQC and AZT Its HCQ not HQC, and no one in medicine would use AZT for azithromycin because AZT is a different medication (to treat HIV). , so noting higher rates does not mean anything unless there are significant differences in things like arrhythmias. All that said, here are the two disqualifiers for this study. 1) ~50% of all patients in all groups were on HQC and/or AZT within 24 hours of starting the study. It's not 50%. It's 10% on HCQ and 30% on azithromycin.(Rafi's and I discussed this on the last page, this appears to be true). Think about that, 50% of patients that you randomize were already on the drugs before you randomize them. There is no mention of how long the 50% of each group of patients were on HQC and/AZT prior to starting the study, since they don't tell usThey explicitly mention this several times - it's less than 24 hours.. FDA would never let us submit a study with ANY level of study drug used prior to the starting the study (especially with long half life drugs like AZT). The reason is that patients may already have gotten enough of either or both drugs to be headed in the right direction.This is why you randomize. This makes the most important piece of information No, it's not at all." how many doses of both drugs were used prior to enrollment in the study. FDA would not let us use ANY patients like this and would laugh us out of a room where 50% were "prior users of potentially therapeutic amounts of any potentially effective therapy" So, disqualified, no need to read further. If you are a glutton for punishment, there is a second worse reason this study is broken. That is, they allowed up to 14 days of symptoms prior to enrollment!!! Half the patients were enrolled within 7 days. The Yale guy and everyone else told us before March that we needed to start treatment within 4 days. This has been further qualified to 24-48, with the recommendation to start treatment immediately/less than 24 hour from symptoms. We found in our Miami clinical trial that all 7 subjects that tested positive were resolved within 14 days. Again, they set this study up completely wrong if they wanted to fairly assess the potential of HQC.

The rest of this is where he just goes off into conspiracy theories that make no sense.Of Course, this is where the Yale doctor is exactly right. Many people do/did not want to study the potential of a therapeutic fairly. When you do undisciplined studies and have a bias, it's junk science. garbage in = garbage out. But also, think about my first point, 50% of the patients who showed up at the hospital were already on one or both of these drugs. That is the real truth behind the study. In second world countries 50% of patients with symptoms are getting these drugs and Americans are not, in a large part because the people made it political. The Yale doctor did a nice job of explaining the flaws in many of the early studies but did not cover this one. He also mentioned that a large share of the patients in developed and developing nations started receiving HQC with AZT or doxycycline in March. I can only imagine how many tens of thousands of lives could have been spared in the US, if patients and doctors were not deterred from prescribing them. Many of those front line doctors took either or both drugs for months in the hopes they would be protective or prophylactic. The Yale Doctor is right, everyone with a positive COVID test and symptoms and/or risk factors should be offered HQC. If they progress, they should get IV remdesivir."

Back