• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

North Carolina BBall & FBall Players Can't Read Very Well

Indeed. I can't wait to see what UNC's response is now that they have been shown to have lied about their knowledge of Willingham's data. I also want to see Roy's response to Willingham's offer to meet. She totally called Roy out. It is amazing what has happened in the last couple days. This could be the beginning of the end.

This thing would have ended long ago if this had occurred at Wake and w/o pressure from the media or the NCAA, because (dare I say it?) that's "the Wake Forest Way". Are we perfect or necessarily even better than most other universities? No, but we are certainly different than many. Just compare most of us as a freshman at Wake with the typical UNC freshman: Hole guy probably grew up worshiping Carolina basketball, had been to multiple games and has family members who went there, i.e. it was his school of choice since grade school and his mindset is already the place can do no wrong (or if it does, "so what, everybody else does they just don't get the same amount of attention"). Wake guy OTOH may not have even had a strong previous connection, but knew Wake as a good academic school with decent athletics; maybe only chose to go here in your senior year after looking at other schools. So having looked at other schools during our college selection process, we came to Wake already with an opening and questioning mindset, and for many of us we had to build our enthusiasm and loyalty for Wake athletics over time (I grew up a Davidson fan; secretly pulled for them against Wake my freshman year and they're still solidly my #2 team today).
That's a gross oversimplification of how Wake and UNC alums view their respective schools and the place of athletics (I won't even try to summarize the mindset of the non-alum fans of the two schools; suffice it to say the gap is even wider), but I do think it speaks to how Wake would have cleaned this up a long time ago and why I don't ever see an "end" to it at UNC w/o even greater outside pressure than what they've already experienced.

This thing would have ended long ago if this had occurred at Wake and w/o pressure from the media or the NCAA, because (dare I say it?) that's "the Wake Forest Way". Are we perfect or necessarily even better than most other universities? No, but we are certainly different than many. Just compare most of us as a freshman at Wake with the typical UNC freshman: Hole guy probably grew up worshiping Carolina basketball, had been to multiple games and has family members who went there, i.e. it was his school of choice since grade school and his mindset is already the place can do no wrong (or if it does, "so what, everybody else does they just don't get the same amount of attention"). Wake guy OTOH may not have even had a strong previous connection, but knew Wake as a good academic school with decent athletics; maybe only chose to go here in your senior year after looking at other schools. So having looked at other schools during our college selection process, we came to Wake already with an opening and questioning mindset, and for many of us we had to build our enthusiasm and loyalty for Wake athletics over time (I grew up a Davidson fan; secretly pulled for them against Wake my freshman year and they're still solidly my #2 team today).
That's a gross oversimplification of how Wake and UNC alums view their respective schools and the place of athletics (I won't even try to summarize the mindset of the non-alum fans of the two schools; suffice it to say the gap is even wider), but I do think it speaks to how Wake would have cleaned this up a long time ago and why I don't ever see an "end" to it at UNC w/o even greater outside pressure than what they've already experienced.

I am not sure I buy that. Sure, there are plenty of kids that go to UNC-ch that grew up worshiping the athletic teams but the vast majority are very good students (just as good as Wake students) that chose UNC-ch because it is one of the best public schools in the nation. Most of the people I know that went there were not "die hard" fans. That being said, most of the sycophants did not attend UNC-ch and probably could not find Chapel Hill on a map even if you spotted them the state.

Nothing here.
Jim Martin did a complete investigation.
Time to move on.

Glad to see this info coming to light. It verifies what I've known to be true about the UNC football and basketball programs for a period that's much longer than what's referenced in these reports.

From that article : "the university expects students to be able to read at least at the ninth-grade level to handle the workload"

Does this mean the freshman year at unc is 10th grade?

I am not sure I buy that. Sure, there are plenty of kids that go to UNC-ch that grew up worshiping the athletic teams but the vast majority are very good students (just as good as Wake students) that chose UNC-ch because it is one of the best public schools in the nation. Most of the people I know that went there were not "die hard" fans. That being said, most of the sycophants did not attend UNC-ch and probably could not find Chapel Hill on a map even if you spotted them the state.

I've got UNC friends who are smart folks (docs, lawyers, educators, etc) who honestly think their only problem is the Raleigh N&O and PackPride. One of them told me the same type things go on at Wake and I said absolutely not. When he said "how do you know for sure?" I only had to point out our records in basketball and football the last 4-5 years. His response: "you got me there; good point". Trust me, plenty of "smart" UNC folks who still think there's no problems in Chapel Hill other than an overactive media, jealous ABC'ers and a few bad apples.

I've got UNC friends who are smart folks (docs, lawyers, educators, etc) who honestly think their only problem is the Raleigh N&O and PackPride. One of them told me the same type things go on at Wake and I said absolutely not. When he said "how do you know for sure?" I only had to point out our records in basketball and football the last 4-5 years. His response: "you got me there; good point". Trust me, plenty of "smart" UNC folks who still think there's no problems in Chapel Hill other than an overactive media, jealous ABC'ers and a few bad apples.

Don't disagree with that. I am just saying the majority of kids that attend UNC don't don't do so because of loyalty to the sports program. Most die hard 18 year old die hard Heel fans can't get in.

This has legs...right? Not even UNC-ch can sweep this under the rug.

Why isn't jhmd upset about these government education handouts with the taxpayers' dime.

It's made the national media. It's not just locked into the research triangle bubble. If the sportreporters show on ESPN takes it up this morning, it might make a difference.

Last edited:

Solid. He makes a gross assertion about Wake and demanded you prove it's not true. The classic logic of the entitled UNC fan.

They are quickly painting themselves into a box. They have tried to protect the athletic teams by saying all of this wasn't an athletic scandal because the system was open to all students. As some point, if they are not careful, it flips around and the entire school's academic reputation is gone. I don't think they let it get that far. But maybe it's true? unc is just not a very good school. I hope the whole place goes down.

From that article : "the university expects students to be able to read at least at the ninth-grade level to handle the workload"

Does this mean the freshman year at unc is 10th grade?

The disturbing thing is that most college textbooks are now written for a 9th grade reading level.

There is one question that hasn't been asked or addressed by the media or anyone. How does a "student" who can't read at a 3rd grade level get a good enough SAT or ACT score to get into college, even with the NCAA minimum requirement?

and the hits just keep on coming.....

http://nypost.com/2014/01/11/unc-is-a-stark-example-of-colleges-warped-priorities/

sad on many different levels....
As for the content, it’s heartbreaking. The one titled, “Abortion” includes, as written: “It seem that the women ought to be the one who desides,” “Abortion is a tough typic and men difently does not need to make the choice,” and “women that get abortion are many times looked at as a bad person.”

The other, titled “A Girl Part of UNC Football,” includes, “The young lady manger [manager] fills that she does get specill treatment. She fills that the coaches treates her nice becaus she is girl.”

His grade on these college essays? A perfect 5 out of 5, on each. They include the professor’s check marks of content approval, including twice-underlined praise as, “Interesting.”

Holy. Shit.

The disturbing thing is that most college textbooks are now written for a 9th grade reading level.

There is one question that hasn't been asked or addressed by the media or anyone. How does a "student" who can't read at a 3rd grade level get a good enough SAT or ACT score to get into college, even with the NCAA minimum requirement?

agree with you. I wondered about the SAT angle too...

Back