• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

North Carolina is Awesome

74 is still a nightmare from charlotte until about wadesboro. i've got a route from clt to fayetteville that saves about 20-30mins avoiding 74 all together. I'm wondering if this can be adjusted to a beach route that avoids 74 until you get to the sandhills. may have to try it this summer.

yea Monroe is a shitshow to get past but there are podunk backroads that work. take beltway to SR 218 around Mint Hill. 2 lane road but you avoid all the lights through Union County

i hope you all can avoid fayetteville. i have to travel there for work quite often and i've got a bauce route that crushes 74. gotta see if i can parlay it into a wilmington area route but that might be a stretch.

yea Monroe is a shitshow to get past but there are podunk backroads that work. take beltway to SR 218 around Mint Hill. 2 lane road but you avoid all the lights through Union County

Yeah, but I waste so much time on surface streets getting to Mint Hill to pick up 218 that I think it's a wash getting around Monroe. However, if you live near I-485, that's a great route I guess.

But that would never happen. NASCAR races are awesome. They let you bring beer into the tracks.

That post was nothing against NASCAR races cause I know they are fun. It was to point out that if your only experience with NC was driving through it randomly and attending a NASCAR race, especially in a Podunk town like Rockingham, you might think the state is a shithole without ever opening up your eyes to it.

I feel that's how some people are about MD on these boards. The whole "I went to a game at Camden Yards and liked it but man Baltimore was a shithole when I turned and walked 5 blocks west of Camden Yards" mentality.

Yeah, you gotta go out to Hagerstown to really understand what Maryland is all about.

Ironically, Hagerstown is most similar to any random podunk North Carolina town. I know of a couple who moved from North Carolina to Hagerstown because thats where they'd feel the most comfortable.

And yes it sucks

Spent this past weekend in New Jersey:

- It smelled. Driving on the turnpike was horrible. In our car, we had 7 people that had been outside partying/dancing/raving all day and after having the windows down for a minute, we rolled them back up because we cumulatively smelled better than the air outside.

- A lot of the people sucked. I know that 100% of the blame here can't go to NJ, but I also know that based off seeing many of these sucky people tailgating with NJ license plates as well as matching up with NJ stereotypes (they exist for a reason), I attribute a significant amount of the suckiness to people from Jersey. At a festival where the general theme is people uniting for music, a general one love feeling as even the title has the word Daisy in it, some people just did whatever possible to remain assholes. Compared to similar concerts for the same type of music out west or in the south, I've never seen so much resistance or persistence to their 'hard' image. And this was a very common opinion by people who had been to similar concerts/festivals in other areas.

- Everything just looked so dirty. Granted, we didn't go south of Edison, NJ, but just nothing looked nice. The water was always gross. Buildings were disheveled. It just didn't look like a place I'd be happy about waking up in every day. You can say that I'm using north Jersey to unfairly judge the whole state, but if you look at a population distribution map, north Jersey is where most the people live.

And HeavyPetter, little known fact is I was actually born in Ridgewood, NJ. Lived there for 2 weeks and got out as quickly as possible.

Born and raised in Ridgewood, NJ. It is an awesome town and a great place to raise a family. The traffic sucks, but the schools were great and I loved living there. Nothing dirty or smelly, no dilapidated buildings or oil refineries that everyone associates with NJ. Not a lot of "NJ accents" up there either and really not a lot of the stereotypical look. Sure that exists, but not in a large part of the state. Heck, western NJ out by the PA border is pretty much farm country, with a couple of lakes and lots of cranberry farms. But I'm sure it is also dirty and smelly and filled with oil refineries, because since 5 miles of NJ contain these items, clearly the entire state is a filled to the brim with them.

I lived in Baltimore for 4 years, which I loved. I now live in Charlotte, which I also think is a great place. Very different, but still pretty awesome. I'm always confounded on why people feel the need to shit on other places to show just how amazing it is where they live. What is more than one place is awesome? Are you so insecure about where you live that you have to tear other places down? Are we back in middle school? Seriously. Lots of great places out there. Some aren't my cup of tea (not really a farm girl), but that doesn't mean they aren't great and perfect for someone else.

Yeah, you gotta go out to Hagerstown to really understand what Maryland is all about.

Ironically, Hagerstown is most similar to any random podunk North Carolina town. I know of a couple who moved from North Carolina to Hagerstown because thats where they'd feel the most comfortable.

And yes it sucks

I grew up in Mercersburg, PA, about 20 minutes from Hagerstown. Facepalm

I'm always confounded on why people feel the need to shit on other places to show just how amazing it is where they live. What is more than one place is awesome? Are you so insecure about where you live that you have to tear other places down? Are we back in middle school? Seriously. Lots of great places out there. Some aren't my cup of tea (not really a farm girl), but that doesn't mean they aren't great and perfect for someone else.

Well said.

North Carolinians will always invite you to do something with 'em.

Cheese Curds [/thread]

ashe-cheese-curds.jpg

That's like saying you gotta go out to Gastonia to really understand NC. MD has cool areas (Annapolis) just like any state but it is ultimately defined by Baltimore and PG County.

That's like saying you gotta go out to Gastonia to really understand NC. MD has cool areas (Annapolis) just like any state but it is ultimately defined by Baltimore and PG County.

The fuck dude, Gastonia is way better than Hagerstown.

Back