• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

North Carolina Proposes an Electric Car Tax

"It also specifically re-enacts the forced pooling of landowners, which means that if enough landowners in a specific area decide to allow fracking on their property, then all landowners must do so.

Discussion was heated on the floor, with senators questioning the thoroughness of the provisions within the bill. Senator Neal Hunt, the Republican representative of Wake County, called for more local government involvement. He also called for more representation from non-industry affiliated individuals on the Mining and Energy Commission."

You have to be fucking kidding me.

http://raleighpublicrecord.org/featured/2012/06/06/senate-passes-controversial-fracking-bill/

Just more liberal big government solutions, ONW. Big gov't and taxes.

I think a small tax on electric vehicles makes sense, for the reasons given. But, if they are going to tax them then they should take some of that money and put charging stations all over the state. I would think electric vehicle drivers would be glad to pay a tax in exchange for a much better infrastructure to enable their use. Of course, the better the infrastructure the more electric vehicles there are likely to be, and the more electric vehicles there are the greater the decrease in taxes from gasoline, thus necessitating a greater tax in the electric vehicles to make up the lost revenue - and on we go...

If they do that, they should tax bicycle riders also. Anything with tires that touches the roads should be taxed so we all pay our fair share!

Aviation fuel is also taxed. It's to repair the potholes in air.

This seems like something that could be factored into the Highway Use Tax equation.

This seems like something that could be factored into the Highway Use Tax equation.

I think that was mentioned in the last thread we had about this a few months ago.

The motive here is clearly to make electric cars less competitive in order to appease the oil companies, but there is good logic that they're not contributing their "fair share" to repair roads.

I think that was mentioned in the last thread we had about this a few months ago.

The motive here is clearly to make electric cars less competitive in order to appease the oil companies, but there is good logic that they're not contributing their "fair share" to repair roads.

You've confirmed this motive how?

If they do that, they should tax bicycle riders also. Anything with tires that touches the roads should be taxed so we all pay our fair share!

Sure. If you charged them proportionately to how much damage they cause the roads compared to cars, what do you think it would come out to? A penny?

I think a small tax on electric vehicles makes sense, for the reasons given. But, if they are going to tax them then they should take some of that money and put charging stations all over the state. I would think electric vehicle drivers would be glad to pay a tax in exchange for a much better infrastructure to enable their use. Of course, the better the infrastructure the more electric vehicles there are likely to be, and the more electric vehicles there are the greater the decrease in taxes from gasoline, thus necessitating a greater tax in the electric vehicles to make up the lost revenue - and on we go...

I have no problem with reallocating tax dollars generated by gasoline taxes which ultimately end up not in the US to generating tax dollars from electricity that remain in the US and investing them in projects in the US that improve the infrastructure of the US.

It's a Republican legislature. What else could it be?

That republicans feel people with electric cars should pay a tax to use roads funded by public taxes?

I have no problem with reallocating tax dollars generated by gasoline taxes which ultimately end up not in the US to generating tax dollars from electricity that remain in the US and investing them in projects in the US that improve the infrastructure of the US.

wut?

If we're really serious about getting off of foreign oil, we won't start taxing/punishing people trying to accomplishing that goal. States will take tax revenues generated from gas and build out our infrastructure allowing us to be self supporting on the electric side.

We give tax credits to oil companies, and we're going to impose new taxes on people who are implementing the technology that will allow us to get off foreign oil in the name of the damage caused by the ramifications of driving on a public road.

A gradual sliding scale of decreasing state/federal gas taxes offset by a gradual increase in taxes for driving electric cars I'm fine with because the money generated begins staying here in our power grid providers and isn't going into a foreign dictatorships' pockets.

Virginia just pulled something like this on hybrids. $100 a year.

That republicans feel people with electric cars should pay a tax to use roads funded by public taxes?

Hahaha! Since when are Republicans pro-tax?

Back