• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Northeast States for Vacation

DeacWatcher

Ricky Peral
Reaction score
By the time I get around to taking my vacation in August about the last place I will want to be is at the beach (SC or NC). Last year we spent most of our time in Boone fishing and just hanging out and relaxing. This year I'd like to be a bit more adventurous. We are gonna hook up with a buddy and his wife in NYC, but were looking for somewhere else that would cool and relaxing within about 4-5 hours of the city but not a big city. I have never been anywhere but Boston and NYC up that way but am curious about all the rest of that real estate up there.

Any thoughts?

Maine is really the best option with places like Portland and Acadia offering a wide variety of choices for activities. It’s further than your desired range though.

Maine is really the best option with places like Portland and Acadia offering a wide variety of choices for activities. It’s further than your desired range though.

Second that. Acadia National Park is one of the prettiest places I've ever been. If you get into the interior much though, be prepped for black flies. Those things make the worst mosquitoes look like goodamn butterflies, and they are seemingly immune to bug repellent.

Hudson River Valley area is really nice. Good fishing too. Some nice towns just outside the city--Nyack, Tarrytown, that area. We went up there for a few days right after we got married. Got a reservation at Blue Hill at Stone Barns, do that if you can swing it.

Hudson River Valley area is really nice. Good fishing too. Some nice towns just outside the city--Nyack, Tarrytown, that area. We went up there for a few days right after we got married. Got a reservation at Blue Hill at Stone Barns, do that if you can swing it.

Ooh this is a good rec. My fiancée is from that area and we are there frequently so I didn’t think of it as a “vacation” spot but it’s beautiful and has a lot of nice smaller towns. I really like Cold Spring. Beacon is also nice.

Head out to the Hamptons or Cape Cod. It's only about 4.5 hours from NYC to Hyannis Port if you time it right. Montauk is maybe 3.5 hours if you time it right. Acadia is the best though.

Just rent a house on Mount Desert Island, ME [Acadia] for a week with your friends.

Second that. Acadia National Park is one of the prettiest places I've ever been. If you get into the interior much though, be prepped for black flies. Those things make the worst mosquitoes look like goodamn butterflies, and they are seemingly immune to bug repellent.

They are savage but the black fly season is over by end of June I think so wouldn’t be an issue if he is there in august.

yeah by June you should def. be fine re: black flies

Granted, it was some time ago, but I was at Baxter State Park at the end of June/Early July and got slap torn up. My face and ears swelled to the point I looked like Alfred E Neuman.

yeah, baxter is in the dead center of the northern tier vs the coast.

it's seasonal of course but I'd predict a couple weeks' lag, based on touring experience in my time there. Plus they always seemed way, way worse inland than on the coast.

They are savage but the black fly season is over by end of June I think so wouldn’t be an issue if he is there in august.
What causes them to leave by the end of June, or are they just less annoying?

What causes them to leave by the end of June, or are they just less annoying?

I have no idea honestly but I think it’s just their natural lifecycle? My aunt and uncle built a cottage on a small lake in the central part of Maine and they have always said to avoid mid May through middle or end of June. Have been up there in July and August and never had an issue.

Cold Spring NY is nice, has a couple decent places to eat and views across the Hudson River to West Point. Sunday brunch at West Point is very good. If you're heading out to Long Island, Port Jefferson on the North Shore or Quogue on the South Shore are nice. If you are looking to fly out from NY to somewhere, I recommend Acadia in Maine. It was one of the nicest places I've ever been. August is the perfect time of year to be in Acadia.

We went to Portland ME last summer, and there’s plenty to do for a few days. Great beer and food scene. We drove to Acadia for a day and spent a night there as well.

I’d do Portsmouth. Close to ME that you could hit Portland, Ogunquit, mountains of NH, Boston for a day trip but has an awesome downtown on the water

We went to Portland ME last summer, and there’s plenty to do for a few days. Great beer and food scene. We drove to Acadia for a day and spent a night there as well.

I had a couple of drinks with some “Mainers” today. They are in the same retirement home as my parents. Had been in Maine their whole life but retired to SC to be closer to daughters and grand kids. They were really nice and informative. They said what some of you guys have about Portland and Acadia. They said Acadia is great but is still just a National Park like many others and don’t spend more than a day or two here. They said Rockland, Ellsworth, Camden, and many others were really cool but the key was driving US1 instead of I-95.

Can anyone confirm? As I said they were really nice but really old and couldn’t hear all that well. Who knows if they heard my questions as clear as I thought.

Back