• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Northwestern Athletics Scandals

This is what gets me about how NW has handled this.

The allegations became public about a month ago. That's horrible timing for the upcoming football season, but when the entire coaching staff is implicated in something like this, it calls for drastic measures. Instead they slow played it and Fitzgerald's staff coming off a 3-9 season and 1-11 season is listed at o/u 3.5 wins in Vegas.

Instead, the university could have acted swiftly and fired or demoted the AD and replaced him with someone from outside athletics and fired the coaching staff. Drastic move but hear me out. They could have pulled a Baylor and hired a respected retired coach or old former coach on some other staff as head coach. That coach could have quickly pulled together a staff of underemployed vets, young position coaches, and grad assistants. They could have released any player who wanted to leave and filled the roster with walk-ons or any late transfers they could figure out how to get.

How many games would that team win this season? Probably 1-3. But that's not much worse than they'll do with the dick rubbers and at least they could do it with their heads held high as a way to transition into a better future.

This is what gets me about how NW has handled this.

The allegations became public about a month ago. That's horrible timing for the upcoming football season, but when the entire coaching staff is implicated in something like this, it calls for drastic measures. Instead they slow played it and Fitzgerald's staff coming off a 3-9 season and 1-11 season is listed at o/u 3.5 wins in Vegas.

Instead, the university could have acted swiftly and fired or demoted the AD and replaced him with someone from outside athletics and fired the coaching staff. Drastic move but hear me out. They could have pulled a Baylor and hired a respected retired coach or old former coach on some other staff as head coach. That coach could have quickly pulled together a staff of underemployed vets, young position coaches, and grad assistants. They could have released any player who wanted to leave and filled the roster with walk-ons or any late transfers they could figure out how to get.

How many games would that team win this season? Probably 1-3. But that's not much worse than they'll do with the dick rubbers and at least they could do it with their heads held high as a way to transition into a better future.
this would've been the right move

And Fitzgerald has basically promised to sue Northwestern.

to further dunk on NW, I personally know 7 or so people who go/went there, and all have had bad experiences. 3 of the 5 or so kids from my HS class who went there are in some form of rehab

you don’t seem to be considering the intentionality of things.

Does this mean Northwestern gets kicked out of the Big 10 and we're in? Wake Forest is often confused with Lake Forest, if we play our cards right we could convince the Big 10 we'd still deliver the Chicago market as the smaller private school,

On a slightly more serious note, would NW be in danger of getting booted? It seems like they are almost self-imposing a sports death penalty due to terrible leadership and it's not like they are a big earner for the Big 10.

gotta figure every school is scared to death they’re the next northwestern that nobody tries to leverage that for conference gain, not for a while at least

Does this mean Northwestern gets kicked out of the Big 10 and we're in? Wake Forest is often confused with Lake Forest, if we play our cards right we could convince the Big 10 we'd still deliver the Chicago market as the smaller private school,

On a slightly more serious note, would NW be in danger of getting booted? It seems like they are almost self-imposing a sports death penalty due to terrible leadership and it's not like they are a big earner for the Big 10.
The Big Televenteen didn't kick out Penn State, which was arguably far worse. They are probably more likely to force Northwestern to bring in Urban Meyer to clean things up.

lol

The issue blew up because they rushed to judge it wasn’t a big deal.

But I’m curious about the other side of nonconsensual dick rubbing.

There is a high school in Florida where similar activities allegedly happened. Social media posts of video support the allegations. Their football season has been cancelled. Coach fired.

I don't think athletic departments want to set the precedent of schools being kicked out of conferences for bad leadership not appropriately addressing, even dismissing, sexual assault and violence.

The issue blew up because they rushed to judge it wasn’t a big deal.

But I’m curious about the other side of nonconsensual dick rubbing.
seriously, what 'other side of the story' is going to exonerate this guy? it would have already come out by now. at best, he had no idea what was going on and that's not really saying much. from their initial response to the issue to the 'cats against the world' shirts to this 'due process' nonsense... the picture is being painted fairly clearly imo.

not sure who has had a worse month of self-inflicted troubles, Northwestern or Meatball Ron

seriously, what 'other side of the story' is going to exonerate this guy? it would have already come out by now. at best, he had no idea what was going on and that's not really saying much. from their initial response to the issue to the 'cats against the world' shirts to this 'due process' nonsense... the picture is being painted fairly clearly imo.

not sure who has had a worse month of self-inflicted troubles, Northwestern or Meatball Ron

Nothing's about to come out because Fitzgerald is negotiating a settlement with the university. If he can't do that, then he'll sue.

Back